Sign in to follow this  
trek_dude

lightsabre duel goes wrong

Two Star Wars fans are in a critical condition in hospital after apparently trying to make light sabres by filling fluorescent light tubes with petrol.

A man, aged 20, and a girl of 17 are believed to have been filming a mock duel when they poured fuel into two glass tubes and lit it.

Oh... My... :laugh: One is born every day.

Edited by sea trooper

Idiots.

If they wanted to make a lightsaber, they should have made it out of cardboard tubes, paper and electrical tape, just like I did.

:laugh: :lol:

OMG. proof there are really stupid people

in this world. sorry they were hurt.

Talk about dumb & dumber one came up

with the ideal and the other one Duh!

sounds cool.

I actually feel bad for them after all they are hurt. I head about some lovers who trued to recreate the Gandola ride from Phantom of the Opera. They got hypothermia and Phnemonia. See what you get for going into the lake in -30 weather

I am sorry that they got hurt, but that was just really way beyond stupid stunt they pulled(meaning the light saber battle.). Apparently they figured that the glass would resist the heat of the lit gasoline :dude: , somebody forgot their common sense either that or paid pretty much no attention to chemistry class(if they took that that is.. I know a couple people who did not take any chem in high school). But then, obviously they do not read warning labels that are plastered on things that are flammable! Because they clearly note the dangers, including explosions that could happen. And even if they did safely get the things lit... they planned to "sword" fight with them.. You have to dispose of flourescent tubing in a special way to prevent many things (most important being the escape of the gas into the atmosphere, so people do not breath it because it is hazardous), the one I refer to for this is the fact that when those things break they tend to do so in a rather explosive way and with it going into thousands of tiny little shards.

:( ok, more and more I am thinking about this the more dumb this whole thing is getting.

As for the gondola one, in that case I am sad to hear that the two got hurt and became ill. Their situation was a more logical situation, true still dangerous if they were not being careful(and of course the choice to do this in those weather conditions was by no means a bright one), but more logical one. They merely wanted to drift on the lake, not "battle" with ignited gasoline covered/filled fragile glass rods. At my college, we have an "Anything that floats" competition... The competitors build makeshift boats with materials such as cardboard, styrofoam, duct tape, trashbags, ect (cannot use real boat parts though), and race them across the little manmade lake that goes around and through sections of the campus. It is often a big part of a couple celebrations we have during the year. True it is not as cold as -30, but still in the fall it is going to be pretty chilly and believe me at least one team will end up in the water. In the end of the two scenarios this one I can feel more sympathy for, if they went about trying to make the gondola out of something more than cardboard and duct tape and styrofoam boogie boards/kickboards.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

A 3rd person was videotaping it. I would just love to see the tape.....lol

I actually think if they dont come out of this healthy it will be an improvemen for the human race, i just hope they dont ever reproduce

A 3rd person was videotaping it. I would just love to see the tape.....lol

326167[/snapback]

Don't worry, I'm sure it will end up on the Internet.

If they were dumb enough to do this stunt, they'd be dumb enough to turn around and put it up for the whole world to see.

Man, that is not the type of fame I would want.