Sign in to follow this  

I had heard of this HBO miniseries for some time and over the last few weeks I've watched all the episodes. It was quite a powerful story, tragic but then war is.

Did anyone else see this? What did you think?

I noticed that Donnie Wahlberg nd Neal McDonough ended up working together again on Boomtown. (I shamelessly admit I came across this because I'm trying to find all of McDonoughs work and watch it - except for the fact he ended up in Timeline he is quite an impressive actor)

This was one movie where the story outshone the actors - very good work.

I love Band of Brothers! if I had the money, I'd buy all six DVDs. By the way, TUH, have you seen the last part of that? "We Stand Alone Together" with the real men of Easy 506? Made me and Jim and Darryl cry like babies. Especially when Winters is talking about the letter Mike Ranagan wrote him.

"I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day. He asked me "Grandpa, were you a hero during the war?" Grandpa said "No, but I served with a company of heroes" Wow.

By the way, TUH, there is a Star Trek connection here. Tom Hardy appears in the last two or three episodes as Private John A. Janovec. and Ladies, you get to see his bare hindparts in "Why we fight"

I've watched it at least 3 times completely and a couple of times I've seen bits and pieces. I think it's a great mini-series with a very powerful story and if anyone hasn't seen it I suggest they watch it if they get a chance.

The Mini-series is about Co. E, 2-506 Parachute Infantry Regiment. I was just looking stuff up online. At the end, Major Winters says the 506th was de-activated. Well, They have been reactivated 3 times since 1945, most recently in 2004. 2nd Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment, is now preparing to return to action in defense of the United States, this time, the famed unit is going to Iraq. Currahae, boys.

I love band of Brothers.

I watch it every time I can catch it.

My dad (and his brother) were half-black, but were light-skinned enough to pass for white. Since they didn't want to be put in a menial service job in the military, they lied about their racial make-up and were placed in white units during WW2. My dad's little brother George ended up in Easy Co, and was killed during Operation Market Garden.

A story my dad told me (I can't confirm it) was that one of his CO's discovered he was half-black and tried to rat him out to General Patton who was inspecting my dad's unit (my dad was a sergeant, btw). According to my dad, Patton came over to him, stared at him for a minute and said:

"Son, do you love your country?"

"Yes, sir."

"Do you like killing lousy hun s.o.b.'s?"

"Yes, sir."

With that the General gave him a pat on the back, thanked him for his service, wished him well and ripped the lieutenant that had tried to out him a new rear-end, ending with a threat that if he were to hear of my dad's mistreatment or relegation to a colored-company, the lieutenant would have more to worry about than Germans (to put it politely).

Patton was a great general. It's a shame he died the way he did. I know my favorite "Pattonism" is "Your job is not to die for your country, it's to make that other poor SOB on the other side die for his!"

Patton was a great general. It's a shame he died the way he did. I know my favorite "Pattonism" is "Your job is not to die for your country, it's to make that other poor SOB on the other side die for his!"

Patton was one-in-a-million.

I've never been sure whether or not my dad was telling the truth. That guy could spin some tales. :tear:

But I've no reason to doubt it happened. I know that eventually he was found out, lost his stripes and spent some time in stockade before ending his military service (honorably, despite losing his rank for lying about his race). He never made sergeant again, but all in all he still enjoyed his time in the military and encouraged all of his children to serve. He thought some form of military/civil service was the responsibility of every able-bodied American.

I've never been sure whether or not my dad was telling the truth. That guy could spin some tales. :tear:

It's hard to say. Patton's attitude towards African American soldiers seems to be along the lines of thinking at that time. This is from the Wikipedia entry on Patton:

The use of African American troops during the push to the Siegfried Line offers some insight into Patton's attitude towards them. The first African American tank unit, the 761st "Black Panther" Tank Battalion was assigned to a Patton who was desperate for manpower in the fall of 1944.

As the 761st was about to enter combat, Patton reviewed the battalion and made a speech to the men which offered a guarded vote of confidence in their abilities:

"Men, you're the first Negro tankers to ever fight in the American Army. I would never have asked for you if you weren't good. I have nothing but the best in my Army. I don't care what color you are as long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons of (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)es. Everyone has their eyes on you and is expecting great things from you. Most of all your race is looking forward to you. Don't let them down and damn you, don't let me down!"

However, like many Army officers, General Patton expressed his doubts about using black men in combat. On returning to headquarters following the review, he remarked, "They gave a good first impression, but I have no faith in the inherent fighting ability of the race."

Despite the outstanding performance of the 761st under his command, Patton was not compelled to change his perceptions about black soldiers. In "War As I Knew It", he relates the interaction described above, and comments, "Individually they were good soldiers, but I expressed my belief at the time, and have never found the necessity of changing it, that a colored soldier cannot think fast enough to fight in armor."

Hmm.

That's really interesting. I know my dad hated General Bradley for being a racist.

Dad was really good at throwing together tall tales. It's possible he was making things up about Patton.

Edited by APW