Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

I'm curious

What aspects of the board do you use, or view most? Do you use the different parts of the Portal page (that's the main page)? Do you use the Forum page mostly (That's the full list of all the forums)? Do you use My Assistant or The Chat Room?

I'd like to know what you use, or enjoy the most here. Which forums do you most frequently find yourself reading or posting in? Do you find the Episode Spotlights useful?

I also like getting suggestions for improvements, I can't use all suggestions but I try to use most of them so if you have any please feel free to PM me any time.

The thing I like the most is how friendly people are, and that is more important than the actual features of the site, although it is nice that it is as great as it is.

On the topic of suggestions, I was hard pushed to find one, but the one I finally came up with is not something that needs to be done intantly but could be quite a good feature that might draw even more people in and allow them to use their critical and creative skills.

My idea would involve the site expanding to include a review section of every episode, one where members of this site can post a review of an episode to a moderator and if good enough would be allowed on the episode page. It would be more like submitting reviews than posting but I have seen this on another site for a different sci-fi programme and it seems to be a very popular site. It is about Doctor Who and the address is - http://pagefillers.com/dwrg

I realise that it would be a big undertaking but it could be very interesting to a fair few people and worth a look at for a long term addition to the site.

Just one thing, when people mail a review to that site it comes up after a few days so any reading/moderation of submitted work can be read at the moderator's leisure.

What do you think?

The thing I like the most is how friendly people are, and that is more important than the actual features of the site, although it is nice that it is as great as it is.

On the topic of suggestions, I was hard pushed to find one, but the one I finally came up with is not something that needs to be done intantly but could be quite a good feature that might draw even more people in and allow them to use their critical and creative skills.

My idea would involve the site expanding to include a review section of every episode, one where members of this site can post a review of an episode to a moderator and if good enough would be allowed on the episode page. It would be more like submitting reviews than posting but I have seen this on another site for a different sci-fi programme and it seems to be a very popular site. It is about Doctor Who and the address is - http://pagefillers.com/dwrg

I realise that it would be a big undertaking but it could be very interesting to a fair few people and worth a look at for a long term addition to the site.

Just one thing, when people mail a review to that site it comes up after a few days so any reading/moderation of submitted work can be read at the moderator's leisure.

What do you think?

That's a good ideam and one I've tried to get more poeple to particibate in already. We've had several of out "Spotlights" done by members, not just Mods.

I believe this is what you are talking about, am I correct?

What do you think?

That's a good ideam and one I've tried to get more poeple to particibate in already. We've had several of out "Spotlights" done by members, not just Mods.

I believe this is what you are talking about, am I correct?

Thats it. Although I must say I like the format of the Who site such as having a list of all the episodes so that you can click on each one and see all the reviews. I also think it benefits from people submitting work to the moderators before it comes up on the site(necessary for Who fans as they have no control :laugh: ), this stops people arguing and posting similar messages, I suppose it is more of a website than a forum though.

I'm not really up on my website/forum design so I don't know how difficult it would be to create a site along those lines, and its not something that I feel we must have. But I have watched that site over a year or so, and from being barren it has really grown in that time, so it must have some sort of pulling power.

As I said, it is only thing I could think of to contribute, and is more of a long term suggestion as I think startrekfans.net is fantastic as it is, and I would never tell you how to run your own site. But having seen that site going from nothing to really popular I thought it might be something to have a look at.

I don't really use the portal that much nor do i use the my assistant feature. I use the chat room as much as possible. When I pop in I make a b-line to my forums then check other forums then post.

I think the portal is cool looking, but it's just me i guess.

I useually scope out the Forum page ..

I lke the off topic. voyager. tng, ten forward.....ok to make it easier....I usually dont go into the science and tech, trivia, games and Klingon boards.

everything eles is great (to me)

I also just figured out the chat so I hope to be there alot haha!!!

I really like this site - and I like the courtesy people show for one another; I've noticed people of very different opinions can have civil discussions. I also like that threads with new comments float to the top.

I usually use ENT, Ten forward and off-topic. Though I occasionally visit some of the others.

Suggestions: Well since you like making videos you could make a new member video to introduce new members to the different forums and what goes where - but if their ISP was as slow as mine they'd leave.

Actually one thing I had thought about was a book club...not a ST book but something current that we STF.N fans could read for the month and have a monthly online chat to discuss in addition to having a pinned thread for the current month's book.

I've seen a couple of boards have a religion/politics forum - I know those issues come up here a lot - I think as long as people remembered the rules of courtesy we could do it; but based on some of the ones I read on other boards I wouldn't recommend it.

Suggestions:  Well since you like making videos you could make a new member video to introduce new members to the different forums and what goes where - but if their ISP was as slow as mine they'd leave.

That could be really cool. I am envisioning a narrorated FAQ video. You want to know how to put color into your post so you click the FAQ and you have a choice... a Text version or a Video version. The video version would be narrated and show how to do these things on the display.... could be fun to make.

I pretty much only hang out in the off topic discussions. I just love how we can talk about anything - whats happening in our lives, things we find funny, if we need help with anything, etc.

I also like the games room, but don't go in there as often. I find that there aren't really frequent postings on the threads that I add to.

I utilize most of the pages myself. I don't use the assistant much though, as I just found out what it was a little while ago. I check pretty much all of the forums. I don't go into science and tech or the Klingon board much though. Naturally I am in chat more (if you go by time in) as I am usually always logged in there when I am posting from home.

I like the chat room and i use the forums to get around i do go to most of areas but i am still having problems with all the controls like the other day i tried to do a spoiler and failed but i just need to go and read in the area that explains it

I use pretty much everything on the board. I really like the chat, and the view new posts option. As for forums, I usually just go down the list of them. The portal is also really cool, I go there a lot too. I don't use my assiant too often, I have used it before though. and I check the calander frequently, especially for birthdays. You've done a great job witht his site VBG! I like every part of it, and really have no complaints

Guest Ktrek

I use the main page as the site portal and the feature I use the most is "view new posts". I scan the topics and look at ones I'm interested in and then go back to the portal to mark all threads read. I also use my assitant but not frequently.

Ktrek

I use the View new posts most of all and I all ways look at the portal to see whos on when I enter the site.

And Not realy a sugestion but have you looked at IPB 1.2 yet and if so are you thinking of upgrading?

I've been trying it out on one of my boards and I love the new mini profile, it makes PM allott more easy.

I use the View new posts most of all and I all ways look at the portal to see whos on when I enter the site.

And Not realy a sugestion but have you looked at IPB 1.2 yet and if so are you thinking of upgrading?

I've been trying it out on one of my boards and I love the new mini profile, it makes PM allott more easy.

Yes, I have been thinking about 1.2 but I've made so many modifications my fear is that upgrading would strip those modifications out.

I enjoy everything about this site,the people,the forums,etc. The only thing I would like to see is the secure adult only topic that we chatted about last night.A place to talk about anything we don't want the kids to read about.

I enjoy everything about this site,the people,the forums,etc. The only thing I would like to see is the secure adult only topic that we chatted about last night.A place to talk about anything we don't want the kids to read about.

I created it last night shortly after we discussed it. To get in anyone can use the password iagree. There's a pinned posting in there that explains the reason for the password.

I mainly use the main forum page - almost never "view new posts" or "my assistant" I use the chat room from time to time and post mainly in Off Topic, Science & Technology, and Star Trek Games.