Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Would you join the military?

I was just currious.  All you teenagers and young men out there that have not served in the military, would you?  There's no way on Earth I would as I made a vow to myself to never kill a human being, heh.  What about you guys?

What do you mean by "young men". There are women in the military you know.

I was just currious.  All you teenagers and young men out there that have not served in the military, would you?  There's no way on Earth I would as I made a vow to myself to never kill a human being, heh.  What about you guys?

Yes, I'm well aware of that. It's just that the U.S. Military is portrayed as a man's domain. That does not, in any way, mean women can't join. I hope I said that clearly, heh.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. It's just that the U.S. Military is portrayed as a man's domain. That does not, in any way, mean women can't join. I hope I said that clearly, heh.

A man's domain!!! According to statistics I have seen for the year 2000 there were almost 71,000 women in the US Army alone - 11,000 officers and 60,000 enlisted personnel.

According to statistics I have seen for the year 2000 there were almost 71,000 women in the US Army alone - 11,000 officers and 60,000 enlisted personnel.

How many men were there?

*ahem* No..because I am a whimp. :laugh: No one wants a glasses wearing scared out if his mind dude running around with a gun.

A man's domain!!! According to statistics I have seen for the year 2000 there were almost 71,000 women in the US Army alone - 11,000 officers and 60,000 enlisted personnel.

Yes, a man's domain. Think about it for a moment. In the history of humanity, it has allways been the men who go off and fight while the women tend to the home and children. Fortunately, women are also now in the military. I'm not sexist in anyway, but I do believe there are "men" and "women" domains. Just becuase the military, in my opinion, is a man's domain, does not in any way, mean that a woman can't join. :laugh:

*ahem* No..because I am a whimp.  :laugh:  No one wants a glasses wearing scared out if his mind dude running around with a gun.

:laugh: Eh, I'm not a wimp, I just don't mix well with death. It takes me months, sometimes years to get over the death of a pet. I can't imagine seeing a person dieing! :laugh:

Just curious ...what if you have children and someone threatens them...would you stand by and watch them be slaughtered before you would risk killing someone to defend them?

Also nobody does well with watching another person die...that's the whole point, ordinary, frightened people become soldiers.

Just curious ...what if you have children and someone threatens them...would you stand by and watch them be slaughtered before you would risk killing someone to defend them?

Also nobody does well with watching another person die...that's the whole point, ordinary, frightened people become soldiers.

Well, if I was a parent, I'd do what I'd have to do to protect life.

Eh, I'm not a fightened person... well, except for snakes and creatures in the ocean. :laugh: It's just that I am really big on preserving life, so being in the military and going off to war, well... I'd feel like I was betraying all my morals and principles, heh.

According to statistics I have seen for the year 2000 there were almost 71,000 women in the US Army alone - 11,000 officers and 60,000 enlisted personnel.

How many men were there?

Last I saw (several years ago) the Army (Just the Army) was close to 1,000,000 total.

As for searving in the military, that's a personal choice. It's not for everyone, that's for sure. I myself have been approached to re-join the reserves with a friend. (Which I am seriously considering).

I was in for almost 3 years the first time and didn't kill anyone, not all military jobs would involve combat. I do understand what you are saying though and I respect that.

i would join the army if it was for a good cause. if there was another hitler on our hands, i would protect our freedom.

BUT if it was for economics (*cough* iraq *cough*) then i would refuse. i would only be a soldier as a last resort.

id probably freak out and hide at the first sign of blood. :laugh:

Stardate:213452.9

Well i am not pysically fit enough to go into the army.And even if i was i dont think i would join.

Eh, I'm not a fightened person... well, except for snakes and creatures in the ocean. :laugh: It's just that I am really big on preserving life, so being in the military and going off to war, well... I'd feel like I was betraying all my morals and principles, heh.

CJLP, you've touched on a topic I feel very stronly about. I know your opinions are influenced by your faith but so are mine and we believe we have a duty to defend our families and our freedom. I think our service mean and women are fulfilling the example "...greater love hath no man than this...that he lay down his life for his friends." Over the years many people have sacrificed their lives that we may live in peace and freedom. They deserve better than to have their names dishonored as being "immoral"

You ask a lot of thought questions so here's one for you. This is just something to think about. You consider it immoral to kill...what if this country were to be taken over by a totalitarian government which forbade any type of religious belief or practice. That would mean whole generations living and dying without being "saved". Which would be the greater evil...taking a life to defend freedom and thus the eternal souls of an unborn generation...or standing and watching that generation and many to follow pass on to eternal misery?

How many men were there?

Last I saw (several years ago) the Army (Just the Army) was close to 1,000,000 total.

If these figures are accurate, it seems that the military still is predominantly male. That is not to say that women cannot make a valuable contribution though.

I once had the same opinion as CJLP, that I could never take another human life. Then I had children and my husband was frequently gone for weeks at a time. My husband taught me how to shoot and instructed me in what to do if there was ever an intruder in the house or on the property. I realized at that point in my life, that if I was the only thing standing between my children and extreme danger, I could and would take a human life. I guess the point is that it's the circumstances that determine if you will kill another person. I don't think you can definitively say you would not take a human life until you are put in a situation where your life, or someone close to you, is in danger.

CJLP, you've touched on a topic I feel very stronly about. I know your opinions are influenced by your faith but so are mine and we believe we have a duty to defend our families and our freedom. I think our service mean and women are fulfilling the example "...greater love hath no man than this...that he lay down his life for his friends." Over the years many people have sacrificed their lives that we may live in peace and freedom. They deserve better than to have their names dishonored as being "immoral"

You ask a lot of thought questions so here's one for you. This is just something to think about. You consider it immoral to kill...what if this country were to be taken over by a totalitarian government which forbade any type of religious belief or practice. That would mean whole generations living and dying without being "saved". Which would be the greater evil...taking a life to defend freedom and thus the eternal souls of an unborn generation...or standing and watching that generation and many to follow pass on to eternal misery?

You missintepretted my post. What the U.S. Military Troops go out and do is very honorable as well as respectable. However, I don't care how evil or bad a person is, I have a problem with anyone dieing, regardless of who they are. Heck, I even cringe when I hear of prisoners getting executed. My whole point that if it came to me killing a person, chances are, I wouldn't be able to do it, unless there were defenceless people about to die. Unless it was an "act now or people die" situation, I honestly wouldn't be able to do it. One of my main reasons, is that I believe all humans can be redeemed, so in my opinion, killing a bad person, well, that'd be like sending them to hell. Keep in mind, that's if you believe in Heaven/Hell concept, heh. That's why it bothers me when anyone dies, wether it be my neighbor or Suddam Hussein, life is life, and I believe all life deserves redemption, regardless.

i have never shot a gun, never even picked one up and i vow never to own one. i will not allow a gun near me, and if i ever have a wife and kids, i will never allow them to have guns either. i despise guns. i intend on never shooting a gun.

but, yes, if i had to i would. if there was a totaltarianistic government that performed atrocites, i would darn well learn to shoot fast, and thats not easy to say.

i have never shot a gun, never even picked one up and i vow never to own one. i will not allow a gun near me, and if i ever have a wife and kids, i will never allow them to have guns either. i despise guns. i intend on never shooting a gun.

but, yes, if i had to i would. if there was a totaltarianistic government that performed atrocites, i would darn well learn to shoot fast, and thats not easy to say.

I understand your despise for guns, I too hate them. But, remember this: people kill people, guns are simply the tool, if they didn't have guns, they'd find something else to kill with, sadly.

You missintepretted my post.  What the U.S. Military Troops go out and do is very honorable as well as respectable.  However, I don't care how evil or bad a person is, I have a problem with anyone dieing, regardless of who they are.  Heck, I even cringe when I hear of prisoners getting executed.  My whole point that if it came to me killing a person, chances are, I wouldn't be able to do it, unless there were defenceless people about to die.  Unless it was an "act now or people die" situation, I honestly wouldn't be able to do it.  One of my main reasons, is that I believe all humans can be redeemed, so in my opinion, killing a bad person, well, that'd be like sending them to hell.  Keep in mind, that's if you believe in Heaven/Hell concept, heh.  That's why it bothers me when anyone dies, wether it be my neighbor or Suddam Hussein, life is life, and I believe all life deserves redemption, regardless.

My apologies for misunderstanding.

Killing to save others is not a bad thing. There are many instances in the Bible where God instructs the Isrealites to go destroy a city or town and kill all that are there. Men, women and children alike. In fact they are instructed to even kill the cattle and pets and destroy all of the personal possessions of the people they have killed.

That's not to say we should go kill entire countries but without people willing to live a Military life we would not have this message board. We would not have Star Trek or anything else that the freedom they protect provides.

Again, I respect everyone that would not join, the military is not for everyone though I do believe the Military would be good for most people. It's a good way of life.

Here's a link to a Poem I posted back in April. I'm going to bump the poem for all to read it also.

http://server07.systemips.com/~startrek/in...2&t=471&hl=poem

My dad works with the army, i have many friends and relatives in the army, my great grandad died in the "great" war, i used to be in the army cadets (engineers).

But i would not join, my brain would either be wasted or put to some sinister use, such as develop this, find a way to kill that...

The armed forces is not my desired career choice (although the training did look like good fun when I saw a programme about it, it did look hard work but a good laugh as well). However if my country needed to be defended I would join in a second as I believe there are some things worth fighting for, such as long term peace and freedom.

The armed forces is not my desired career choice (although the training did look like good fun when I saw a programme about it, it did look hard work but a good laugh as well). However if my country needed to be defended I would join in a second as I believe there are some things worth fighting for, such as long term peace and freedom.

Yeah, boot camp looks like fun, but might also be a way to "convince" you to join... (runs in opposite direction) :lol:

Serriously, if it was a serrious and major threat, I wouldn't have a problem, if the country was at stake. However, if it's something like the Iraq situation, there are plenty of volunteers. I just have a problem with killing anything. I won't even use mouse traps, I use the plastic kind that trap them without killing them, heh. :wow:

I'm proud to have served in the military (Army),I believe it to be very honorable to put ones life on the line to protect others freedoms. I have no problem killing someone that are trying to kill me or any innocents or to protect my home. I have shot at people and I've had people shoot back,its no picnic,but when it comes to me or them I choose me everytime.

Myself I would love to join the military, but I am not permitted to due to my vision. I have always had a great respect for all of those that risk their lives to protect our freedoms, and I always will.