Sign in to follow this  
Angela

Bullying

This is a story I want people to discuss what should be done in general, not specifically in this case. I also wanted to bring a more human face. To make it 'real' to people than some annonymous person on the television in a news or current affairs programme

put in a soiler for length reasons, sorry.

Click For Spoiler

She was 10 when it really started, of course there had been incidents of it before, but never had they actually searched her out specifically. She had always been someone available to exert their frustrations on. They were at a wire fence, waiting for her. Her friend told her they wished to talk to her; they had been friends before they had left for high school, so she felt no fear. She went up smiling, she left sobbing. Their words echoed in her mind; “If you come to our high school, we will make you life a living hell, then we will kill you.” She didn’t believe *her* friends would, so even though they had made her cry she ignored it.

She managed to Ace her exams, she lost friends over it, she didn’t mind, her eyes were future bound. She made the school she wanted to go to, the one the girls had warned her off. She went. They kept their unholy vow. The first day she was there she was spat at and pushed, on her way home she was name called the entire mile and a half walk. Over the next year it escalated until she carried it silently no more, she told her parents, who told her school. She had to see their head of year. She managed to have her bullies there too. “So are you calling them liars?” The head of year asked, she had always been told never to call a person a liar, she always kept to the rules. She had no idea what to do, the silence had lasted. “Just as I thought you are a lying manipulative little child get out of my sight.” She fled and dreaded physical Education with the head of year the following lesson.

By the end of the year it seemed she was hated by every year group. Even those people she considered friends barely spoke to her. “We can’t talk to you. Everyone in the school hates you. You should leave.” She had never felt quite as alone as she had at that moment, but she continued on. She had to, she couldn’t think of another place.

The following year things got worse, she lost her Phys. Ed. Kit because it was taken out of her locker and thrown over the room, she had detention because of it. Her coat was stolen; no one knew what happened to it after that. There wasn’t a day she didn’t have a bruise appear, the punches and kicks after a while were routine, she rarely tried to do anything in her favour. There had been one time, when getting changed for Phys. Ed. She was hit around the head, she hit back and was caught by the head of year for the girls that had started this mess. She was punished again, detention and hour that night, no warning for her parents. No repeal allowed, serve it and get out.

Sure there were a few teachers who tried to help, but powers were limited, there wasn’t much they could do. She found that even in lessons she wasn’t safe. The boy behind her had a love of things with points. In maths they had mathematical compasses and tables you could lean against. The math compasses had inch long metal, tapering to points, she knew this each time it went into her back, she was put into detention for murmuring each time it happened, by the end of the hour long lesson her back ached, when she got home she found why, her blouse was covered with dried blood, the back had no inch uncovered. She hadn’t realised, and no way would she have taken her blouse off for her MALE teacher to see when he requested.

Her fourth year was a blur of punches and physical violence, by then she had long learnt to read behaviour knew when the real danger signs were evident, the time in the locker room, getting her books for homework proved it. They were baying for blood, pushing her into everything; one of the girls taking apart a coke can for a sharp edge. She managed to shove what she came for back in, locked it and ran, she ran the half mile home in no time, when she got home they weren’t expecting her for another 10 minutes, she had been so scared, they had followed her. It had reminded her of the time they had waited outside a café for her. It had taken the owners driving her home people she didn’t know, for her to get home safely.

By this point she was suffering depression and panic attacks. If she thought they were getting to blood thirsty she would dislocate a finger or make herself throw up to get out of school ‘legitimately’. She had lain in her bed the summer before her fourth year, telling her mother how she wished to die, because she could no longer endure it. It had upset her mother. It wouldn’t be spoken of for years.

Her fifth year started like any other year, a maelstrom of violence, so used to it she never felt it. Just before Christmas she had managed to have a two year vendetta against her, all because one girl misheard her mumbling about a teacher before seeing her. By now her teachers were blaming her bullying on her absenteeism. Some of it was escape from the violence, some of it because of the injuries. She felt she was fighting a hopeless cause and so gave herself up as a sacrifice, no longer able to fight it.

The summer was coming and she had been applying to colleges she was studying Media; she was looking forward to her future. She had suicidal thoughts, but frequently was able to banish them by thinking of her ultimate escape. No one was going to her college, thank god. Then the girl who had hit her so long ago in Phys. Ed. Who somehow had become part of her social group decided to pick a fight. She refused to bow to it and walked away, she was a pacifist at heart. Then the girl after staring at her walked up and yanked her hair. Five years of fury, rage, pain and hurt bubbled to the surface. She fought with everything she had. She wanted to kill, a primal instinctual part of her had bubbled up, a part she knew nothing of had come forward. The girl ended up running out of school. She ended up crying until the end of school and continued on the way home too. It had been a long time coming. She was afraid they would side with the girl again and kick her out before she were able to take the exams that would get her out of the stinking hell hole.

Her mother called the school, the business studies teacher picked up, her mother explained and the teacher laughed. “Tell her not to worry we all know about it. The (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) had it coming.” Relief flooded her. She slept the best she had in years that night. She didn’t exactly fail her exams, but she couldn’t remember much either, so she didn’t pass with high grades either. Her memory was scrambled after all of the punches to the head she had. Later on she would find that she had had concussion. No wonder she would ask her friends if they were okay several times in a 20 minute space and never remember having done so before.

She went on to college. She still suffered from depression. Her first year was a whirl of work, she loved it, she had had no violence she felt so safe. She passed with Merit in her first year. Her second and third she would fail, though it was through no fault of her own. Staffing meant that in one year for one subject she would have eight lecturers meaning coursework was done several times over. She couldn’t keep up with her other subjects. By the end of her course she suffered from fatalism and apathy in equal share. She was kicked out of her exams a week before, she got herself admitted to the exams by paying for them herself. She was kicked out of an exam before sitting down because the same teacher that kicked her out didn’t want her in there, even though she was paying for it financially. The last of three exams she took she stared out of the window, she knew she was going to fail anyhow why bother was her phrase. She had no future plans. By now she was having visions of herself putting a knife in her head. She wanted rid of the feelings she had.

She received her results that summer, though she was trying to finish her coursework over the summer with a punishing schedule, up at 7am bed at 4am. The results were that she had missed her English grade (lowest there was) by a narrow margin. She scrunched it up, she didn’t care, and she literally felt no emotion towards it. She just surgically decided to go to another college change from media to psychology take English, the subject she had narrowly failed in, and throw history in to the mix. She would start from the beginning. A couple of months later she quietly told her mother she was suicidal, because she thought she was insane, that she felt she was a burden, that she needed to see a doctor. Her mother took her; the doctor diagnosed her, and put her on medication. She was on it a year, had responded well, and had gained a large social circle, with a few trusted friends.

Slowly and by herself she had a look at what bullying had done to others, and in their stories found herself. She felt a quiet sadness and a total rage that policy was to ascribe no blame to the bully for the violence they perpetrated. She had remembered how two girls trying to gain favour with the in crowd had strangled her with a chain she had worn to look cool. She remembered how the teachers above those who had tried to help blamed her to her face, “Perhaps you could lose weight?” they said. “We’ll let you out ten minutes early so you don’t see them on the way home.” Like that had done any good. They didn’t punish the bullies, they almost condoned it.

Looking back she realises that bullying affected her long after she left the high school prison, where capital punishment was unofficially condoned. She had been only ten when it had started, she was almost 20 before help was given, and still she battles with the scares on her esteem.

How do I know this? Because she is me.

I am sorry that you had go through that. :flowers: It sounds same thing I went through.

thanks. I was watching a cu8rrent affairs programme and it made me need to unburden myself of it. It is an amazing ffeeling to let go, really energising.

Wow UA, I'm so sorry you had to go through this. :inlove::flowers:

You are my second net friend from the UK who went through this type of bullying and kept it to themselves for years.

You asked for discussion on bullying.

It still happens.

In my community they've established something called "social problem solving skills" program, which starts the children off at Kindgergarten at learning actively what is appropriate behavior and in learning how to handle difficulties with fellow students.

If they can't solve it, they are taught to get an adult involved. Every school has a social worker and a psychologist in school to help with these situations, and also with those students who need this type of mentor, and in helping diagnose LD.

I know from first hand experience that it takes some of these students until they are 10 or even 14 before they are strong enough to stand up for themselves, and the skills are automatic because they are relearned, and built upon year after year.

IT doesn't mean bullying isn't gone. But I felt grateful that the students have adults and a method being taught to them that can help them feel less alone and empowered.

I won't list everything they teach, but here's their "blurb" on it in general terms.

Click For Spoiler
Character Education?

What does it mean to be a person of good character? Ask different people and you will get different answers. Throughout the school year, we will be hearing more and more about Character Education. In the last several years Character Education has found its place in our society, as most Americans want their children to grow and develope into ethical and virtous adults. We know that children are not born with traits such as trustworthiness, responsibility, empathy and respect for the must be taught, modeled, and practiced at home, in school and in the community at large. One important role of parents and educators is to help the children grow and develop into adults who demonstrate good character.

The mission of -censored- is to educate student swho have the competence and characater to excel in the global community as responsible citizens and life-long learners...in partnership with our families and communtiy. To that end, we will be requesting your input through parent meetings, surveys and informational mailings throughout the school year on what character attributes we as a learning community will focus on.

One common thread that runs through all successful character education models is the importance of partnering with parents and the community at large to help children understand what it means to be a person of character and why being a person of character will help them excel in the global community.

Character Education is not designed to be a new concept taught at 1 45 pm twice a week, but rather a plan to be more deliberate about what we are doing everyday in the classroom to promote character and weaving it tightly into the existing curriculum.

Respect: Respect is showing high regard for self, others, property, authority, and country. A respectful person is polite and uses appropriate language and tone of voice. They understand that all people have value as human beings.

Trustworthiness: Trustworthiness is being honest, telling the truth, keeping promises and being loyal so people can trust you. Trustworthy people don't lie, cheat or steal. They have integrity and moral courage to do the right thing and stand up for their beliefs even when it is hard to do so.

Independence: Independence is the ability to think and act for oneself. Independent people think and act in away that does not interfere with the rights of others. They are self starters and try new tasks.

Responsibility:Responsibility is doing what you are supposed to do. Responsible people think ahead, set reasonable goals and control their tempers. They are accountable for the consequences of their choices; they don't blame others for their mistakes.

Caring: Caring is being kind, helpful and generous to everyone. Caring people are not selfish: they are considerate and always thinka bout how their conduct affects others. They have compassion and empathy; they care about how others feel and they are forgiving. They do good deeds without thought of reward.

Citizenship: Citizenship is doing one's share to help make your family and community a better place. Good citizens are good neighbors; they cooperate with others obey laws and rules, protect the environment and respect authority.

Cooperation: Cooperation is working together willingly with a common purpose. Cooperative people listen to others' opinions. They do their part to complete the group task. Cooperative people work together to accomplish shared goals.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

It is always good to any bad feelings off your chest. It does a lot help to clear the mind of negitive thoughts.

:flowers: That is sad, UA. I can understand how you feel, and my siblings can too. We often were harassed at school by other kids, and sadly the school system pretty much did not hing about it when we or our mother approached them about it.

Each one of the three of us has had at least one experience of coming home with a scratch or a bruise given to us by a fellow student. And in every case, we were not the instigators of the attack. And I had new classmates come up and say hi to me, and I thought to myself.. "hey this person looks really nice, they may make a really cool friend". And just as I introduce myself they freeze and say (and yeah, this is really what had been said to me on at least two different occasions by new classmates) "Oh you are (my real name), they told me if I wanna be cool and liked here, I am not allowed to talk to you and I am supposed to not be friends with you." And on those same occasions, later on in the year I would get a remark made by those same new kids.. "Hey you're not weird like they said you were", "They lied. You are not a freak.", "You're NOT a (insert swearword that starts with "B") like they told me you were, you are a nice person." They never continued on to be friends or even acquaintances of mine, but still.

And former students of mine, they too had issues with bullies. They would come in to class, and tell me often of what bullies in the playground had done to them.. right down to the marks left on them by said bullies(scratches, bruises, stuff thrown in hair or their faces-like sand or mulch, etc.). I told my coworkers(the councelors outside), and I told my students to tell the councelors observing the playground area about what was going on.

I am glad you got that off your chest, UA. Keeping it quiet can be quite painful. :inlove:

Sick. I got picked on but I got bigger than the bullies. I became well over 6' and was very athletic. By High School, I had beaten all the bums up and they were all afraid of me.

Sometimes the bullies have to payback for their deeds. Kinda like how the kid in Christmas Story got the neighborhood bully.

I feel for anybody who cannot fight back.

Edited by Data

Sick. I got picked on but I got bigger than the bullies. I became well over 6' and was very athletic. By High School, I had beaten all the bums up and they were all afraid of me.

In my case, the problems ended in High school. Well started midway through 7th grade, where the harassment started to cease..

I mean I could always fight back, but the instructors always catch who throws the second punch..so that is a big no-no in my mind. That, and I am afraid that if I hit someone I will do a lot of damage. So I keep myself restrained in that respect. And athletically... definately no problems there. Even as small as I was compared to the rest of the kids my age(but as a gymnast, and the fact that a part of my family were kinda short...that is to be expected).

That was the only real "beating up" of bullies that I would do. I would take it to the court or the track, and let athleticism be the judge :lol: Volleyball was the primary sport that would be taken out to the court. Then of course, there was powder puff football...and being the defensive tackle for the Senior class. No problems there.

But still the bullies are out there, and it is sad with each passing year they seem to be getting away with more and more. No matter how administrators or school board members are saying that they are taking measures to curb the bully behavior. And a lot of times they end up maybe even unwittingly encouraging the behavior.

In the UK the predominant thought its to ascribe NO BLAME to the bullies. In fact if anyone is blamed it is usually the victim, its the ''If you became friends with them, if you lost weight, if you became fashionable. if you...'' this then brings a self blame thought process, this is proven to be a key componant in some cases of depression (in some psychological approaches) So really when a child is already down they are being kicked in the teeth.

In British schools we don't have guidance councellors or any support system at all for either side(I have always wondered in extreme cases, if the bullying ring leader hasn't a deeper problem)

Of course the problem is deeper.

Children LEARN to bully.

Most likely someone in their home life is doing it to them.

Or their home life is such that they feel out of control, so they use bullying to fill the emptiness up.

After Columbine, responsible school systems work at this. Unfortunately responsibility and money to run a program don't always go hand in hand.

Yeah, but over here the thought is don't blame the bully. This is a pathetic approach, it teaches them not to take responsibility for their actions. I guess the fact that they are getting away with the thought that hurting others has no consequence has no correlation to the increase of violence in society then.

What we need is responsible teaching in personal and social science classes and for the ring leader enforced councelling with a psychologist, because this can't go on anymore.

How pathetic.

A country that used to rule the word is afraid of bullies?

What kind of idiots are making these rules? Surely it must be politicians, as they never accept responsibility for things themselves.

It's going to a part of the ruin of your country UA.

I already know the NHS stinks completely.

I'm not so sure about your educational system now.

And now on a social level, it seems it is also coming unraveled.

the only time anything/punishment happens, is when a teacher is at the brunt. it is a 'screw the kids' policy.

In my case, the problems ended in High school. Well started midway through 7th grade, where the harassment started to cease..

I mean I could always fight back, but the instructors always catch who throws the second punch..so that is a big no-no in my mind. That, and I am afraid that if I hit someone I will do a lot of damage. So I keep myself restrained in that respect. And athletically... definately no problems there. Even as small as I was compared to the rest of the kids my age(but as a gymnast, and the fact that a part of my family were kinda short...that is to be expected).

I guess it is also more acceptable for boys to fight. I was always a fighter throughout school. If anybody pushed me, I pushed back. I guess that is why I became a good Ice Hockey Player. It seems fighring is actually part of the game. Well, you get thrown in the penalty box but the fight always excites everybody. It is almost expected that a player doesnt take crap from players of the opposing teams.

That was the only real "beating up" of bullies that I would do. I would take it to the court or the track, and let athleticism be the judge :lol: Volleyball was the primary sport that would be taken out to the court. Then of course, there was powder puff football...and being the defensive tackle for the Senior class. No problems there.

But still the bullies are out there, and it is sad with each passing year they seem to be getting away with more and more. No matter how administrators or school board members are saying that they are taking measures to curb the bully behavior. And a lot of times they end up maybe even unwittingly encouraging the behavior.

317395[/snapback]

Bullies are usually losers anywho. When I got to be stronger and bigger than the whole bunch of em, I used to enjoy picking on them. Just to give them a taste of their crap. Of course, I would leave them to run and I would just get a chuckle out of it.

Also, many of my friends were kids they picked on. We banded together throughout the years. We stuck up for each other when needed.

Edited by Data

You're right about them being losers.

I read somewhere that 84% of bullies end up with some sort of conviction by the time they are 24 years old.

How many bullies are the smartest in their class?

I don't seem to recall many being that way. Druggies yes, but the bullies usually weren't that bright. Thus they used their fists instead.

Men underestimate girls/women greatly.

They are the true experts of word wars. Many guys have no clue when women hate one another.

"oh, she's so sweet, how can you not like her?"

If you ask someone who is a normally rational female that, then she suddenly isn't irrational. She's spot on the mark.

lets face it in my highscool, the girls were the one cutting up other girls sending other girls to hospital and crushing the spine of other girls. It was a total mess.

UA, your school sounds like it was out of control

If people were being cut here, then metal detectors would be installed at the school, and lockers would be searched.

Once a month dogs go through the local high schools here looking for drugs.

Apparently they don't do enough there.

They are doormats, and they invest nothing in the future of their country, their children.

i know what it is like to be bullied

I was bullied for nearly two years at my secondary school and i have never told anyone until now

they made me feel so low and unhappy. I use to hate to go to school and used to make up any excuse to get out of going.

the day i left was the happiest of my entire life

I didn't say that girls did not fight. I just said it was not considered very "lady like". I know girls can be nastier to each other than boys. Boys ususally go for the fists while girls go for the degrading. Well, I guess I put my foot in it now.

In the UK it is more likely to find 15 girls fighting one girl than the same amount of boys against one until long after school's out.

You're right about them being losers.

I read somewhere that 84% of bullies end up with some sort of conviction by the time they are 24 years old.

Very true. Matter of fact, the guys who bullied me(and yeah.. it was always males that would be the bullies in my situation. For my sister it was mainly other girls, for my brother the guys in the class would harass him)... most of them have been featured in the Police Beat section of the newspaper at least once. Some of them while we were in HS.

Like you, Data. My brother became one of the biggest in his class. I mean sitting at 6' tall and about 300lbs, he is quite a big guy....true he has a temper to boot, but he keeps himself in line. Once he got to be one of the biggest in class, they left him alone too.

I guess it is also more acceptable for boys to fight. I was always a fighter throughout school. If anybody pushed me, I pushed back. I guess that is why I became a good Ice Hockey Player. It seems fighring is actually part of the game.
The common thought is it is acceptable for guys to fight.. not that all of us agree with that, but that is the basic train of thought that has continued through the ages. I could be a fighter, if I am pushed(and it takes a lot to push me). But like I said, I would usually take it to a legitimate arena (like your example of Ice Hockey).. no trouble could really be caused per se(true the "fighting" could get nasty), playing volleyball, kickball or dodgeball. When we usually played dodgeball it was done in the multi purpose room, so there was not much room to run. Outside of PE, I would not physically fight back unless it became absolutely necessary(and sadly it did become necessary once or twice in my beginning middle school year.).

I didn't say that girls did not fight. I just said it was not considered very "lady like". I know girls can be nastier to each other than boys. Boys ususally go for the fists while girls go for the degrading. Well, I guess I put my foot in it now.

True it is not concidered, "lady like". And girls do go for psychological damage when they do attack, which leaves a more permanent scar on any person whether they be male or female than any fist could ever do.

Yeah, but over here the thought is don't blame the bully.

Seems like it was that way at the schools my siblings and I attended. Of all three of us my sister was messed with the least, and my brother was messed with the most. And in almost all cases... the teachers would always end up saying we are blowing it all out of proportion. Uh-huh sure I am, I had just gotten thrown into a row of desks by a classmate of mine and the teacher saw it and reported it to the principal... and the principal tells me that I am exaggerating the whole thing and so was the teacher. I had gotten into a heated debate over my private paperwork which was not to be seen by anyone but the admins(it was a parent survey and was in an envelope), he walked over and picked my envelope up and opened it to read the contents. So he was invading privacy and I told him to put it down and leave it alone(as did our teacher), we got to arguing he grabbed me by my shirt lifted me a little and essentially tossed me into a row of desks. I did kick him to try to get him to let me go before the toss.. but still. and did my classmate get in trouble??? NO, he basically was told to leave me alone and both of you shake hands and return to class. :lol:

And sickness of bullies is... *gag* how they become "friends" with their cronies! THere was a girl in my class, who was almost exactly the same age as me.. she and her cronies said I could become their friend if I fulfilled certain deeds. All of them had to do with tormenting and torturing my own friend! :dude: Of course, I basically told them to go to hell. And thus they harassed me for the rest of the year. But were also shocked that that was pretty much exactly how I told them no..since until then I had never uttered a swearword in public.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

In the UK it is more likely to find 15 girls fighting one girl than the same amount of boys against one until long after school's out.

317555[/snapback]

That is why I said that girls tend to go for the degrading. Boys tend to fight more on closer to equal terms. In other words, one to one. Yes, there are occasions when a gang will gang up on one. But that is more common with girls.

Another thing, in elementary school, girls are usually bigger and stronger than boys. In High School, that all changes because of sexual development. So in elementary school, if allowed, bully girls are the more aggresive and will pick on boys also.

Edited by Data

A study on bullying by the University of British Columbia, based on 490 students (half female, half male) in Grades 8-10 in a B.C. city in the winter of 1999, showed:

»64 per cent of kids had been bullied at school.

»12 per cent were bullied regularly (once or more a week).

»13 per cent bullied other students regularly (once or more a week).

»72 per cent observed bullying at school at least once in a while.

»40 per cent tried to intervene.

»64 per cent considered bullying a normal part of school life.

»61-80 per cent said bullies are often popular and enjoy high status among their peers.

»25-33 per cent said bullying is sometimes OK and/or that it is OK to pick on losers.

»20-50 per cent said bullying can be a good thing (makes people tougher, is a good way to solve problems, etc.).

Source: Centre For Youth Social Development, UBC Faculty of Education

Yeah I was told bullyi8ng had been a good thing for me, as I was a strong individual, who knew where Iwere going and who I was. But it did damage. I became isolationist (I made sure I had no friends.) and suffered depression. Makes you stronger. It almost killed me. I refuse to allow my government to say this A OK until it reaches teachers. Once the first inccident occurs it should be taken seriously as shoultd the 101st. It should be treated as seriously as a crime and if it persists and becomes violent, then the police authorites should be brought in. We wouldn't allow this to be prevalant in our local ommunities, why allow it in our schools?

Edited by Unadopted Angelic

That is the problem. They don't see bullying as a problem in the school. Its just a phase it will pass. Most of the time it doesn't just pass. It leaves scares that never heal just right. If adult have to face the same thing they would have called the police and press charges.

I think this varies where ever you are in the world.

I'm in my own little corner of the world here, but I've been doing some research in my area since you posted this thread UA.

I'm very lucky that all of the school districts within a 50 mile radius of me have some sort of character development program and they have set policies in place on how to handle bullies from elementary levels to high school

Growing up there was one guy who would torment the crap out of me, until one day he tried to pick a fight with me. I sent him to the school nurse with a bloody nose.

The next day he asked me to stop bragging about giving him a bloody nose. It turns out getting your ass kicked by the school nerd doesn't do much for your popularity.

That isn't even the best part. Last summer I had sex with his high school sweetheart.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy