Sign in to follow this  
jdigs

Why..

Please don't take this as complaining..I couldn't ask for a better message board..My question is, why do you think we've yet to suffer the same state as ST.Com and many other message boards I've visited? Is it because we're still growing? Love to hear your thoughts.

Please don't take this as complaining..I couldn't ask for a better message board..My question is, why do you think we've yet to suffer the same state as ST.Com and many other message boards I've visited? Is it because we're still growing? Love to hear your thoughts.

Hmm... Good question. I dunno, want me to have Worf beat you up? B)

Stardate:213441.9

I think its because we are all decent good people.Although if u want i could contact Wolftrek and have him come to this board :devil:

it is because we are just nice people on this board that help you out when you need it like when i started on this site i did not close my tags and all of a sudden i get a note that said that i was not doing it right but it was a nice note not somebody yelling at me that i stupid i like that. B)

im sooo glad that this did not turn into another st.com..... people here have been great and there is no doubt that if that "element" came to the boards...our omnipotent moderators and admins would boot the spammers faster than .... (insert humorous simile here - late and cant think)

Stardate:213441.9

I think its because we are all decent good people.Although if u want i could contact Wolftrek and have him come to this board :devil:

Oh my goodness NOOOOOOOO!!! B) His perdantic ramblings of inconsequence are enough to drive you to the nearest airlock.

well i dont anything about st.com, and from the sounds of it thank god. but i do know this place is great, and i dont think anything like that would be tolerated here. its easy enough for VBG, or one of the others to push a couple of buttons, and boot someone outta here. but hopefully it'll not come to that. B)

We have such a wonderful group of members who really care about these boards. A very knowledgeable group who want to talk Trek and have fun doing it. We have all found a home here haven't we. We are truly a community here. Hmmmm, I wonder how many other message boards are planning a convention. B)

well i dont anything about st.com, and from the sounds of it thank god. but i do know this place is great, and i dont think anything like that would be tolerated here. its easy enough for VBG, or one of the others to push a couple of buttons, and boot someone outta here. but hopefully it'll not come to that. :blink:

B) ...maybe they already have... B)

well i dont anything about st.com, and from the sounds of it thank god. but i do know this place is great, and i dont think anything like that would be tolerated here. its easy enough for VBG, or one of the others to push a couple of buttons, and boot someone outta here. but hopefully it'll not come to that. :blink:

B) ...maybe they already have... B)

No we haven't, there is a rumor circulating that we have but we have NOT.

Simple we have a great bunch of people, plus when you start with a good seed as it grows it usually stays good.. B)

I think this is such a great place because - we have great members and moderators - and of course VaBeachGuy!

The people who make ST.com so bad thrive there because no one can stop them - here we can!

laser_shot_jump.gif

I think this is such a great place because - we have great members and moderators - and of course VaBeachGuy!

The people who make ST.com so bad thrive there because no one can stop them - here we can!

laser_shot_jump.gif

I completely agree. It seems peoplelink (the company who runs the message boards at st.com) doesn't give a damn about who does what on the boards. Spammers are allowed to run rampant and Wolftrek continues to add post after post of drivel and nothing is done about it. They don't seem to update their software AT ALL! I mean, since when have you posted on a message board that doesn't bump a post to the top after someone responds? At the st.com boards, if you want to see if your post has been answered you have to dig through 3 or 4 pages of filth and lists of Wolftrek's DVD collection. YECCCH!

Then, one day I spotted a post from some guy called vabeachguy33. It contained a link to this site. I came here and have never looked back. As stated in previous posts, the mods here do their jobs and do them well. VaBeachGuy is always willing to lend a helping hand to newbies like me. The reason everybody is so nice? IMHO, this site is a breath of fresh air and I don't want anything to happen that might cause it to go away!

I like it here, everyone list.....(I mean reads) your point of view... they can comment with out being insulting ....

Nor can you get the mile long spam of nothing!!

no ramblings on and on ( oh wait thats what I am doing lol)

:devil: but I do go to st.com every now and then any time I feel the need to cause a little trouble...... :devil:

I agree completely...and at ST.com those spammers only get an hour or two ban on them....at least that is what they claimed on a couple of their empty posts...

Thank heavens we have a safe haven here...

I agree we have great members here, but I think alot of the credit for keeping the site friendly has to go to VBG and the Mods for their diligence.

VBG's sneaking subliminal happy messages into the posts. smilewink.giflaughing-smiley-002.gif

So that explains the incredible urges I've been having to send money to him!!! jawdrop.gif

Stardate:213444.9

It' almost like we have our own little(big :waaaa: )family here.I thinks it's great :laugh: .We are so lucky not to get any idiots around here.

Eventhough we don't always agree (which is a good thing really), we all manage to stay pretty friendly around here.... :laugh:

I Love You All...But You're All Freaking Nuts :waaaa:

well i dont anything about st.com, and from the sounds of it thank god. but i do know this place is great, and i dont think anything like that would be tolerated here. its easy enough for VBG, or one of the others to push a couple of buttons, and boot someone outta here. but hopefully it'll not come to that. :waaaa:

:laugh: ...maybe they already have... :laugh:

No we haven't, there is a rumor circulating that we have but we have NOT.

Well there was one incident. I went away for a few days and RikerChick tried to Ban me and take over the baord... but that's a a different discussion totally...

I think it's a combonation of things, none of which I can take credit for except for maybe lighting a beacon to point the way to get here. The spammers on ST.COM know they are "safe". They can register with a fake e-mail address and spam away, even if they get banned they can mame a new fake name right away.

I actually took advantage of this, as someone mentioned in the thread about "How'd you find us" I would post on ST.COM after a spam attack and say "Are you sick of this crap?" then I'd give our address. The people that were sick of the spam came here to get away from it and all the hate from there. So we are still small, 300+ strong (not all post of course) but we are the ones that really CARE about Star Trek and we are the ones that want a good place to discuss it.

So the credit really goes to everyone that posts. I give a lot of credit to the Mods too, each one of them care about the boards and help keep things clean and fun.

There is almost always at least 1 mod online at all times and the times one isn't on isn't very long.

We are all here out of a love of Star Trek, no one gets paid. We're all here on our own time and some of us have to pay to keep things running smoothly. I mentioned in the chat room last night that the small amount I pay to keep the board is well worth it when I see so many people enjoying it. Not to mention the ego boost of threads like this one :laugh:

Seriously though, the answer to the question (after all my rambling here) is that this is such a great and friendly place is because of YOU.

Also to answer the question of banning, no one has had to be banned and we really haven't had any real spam to speak of at all (Knock wood). If it were to happen we would be on it pretty quickly and have measures to stop it.

Well there was one incident. I went away for a few days and RikerChick tried to Ban me and take over the baord... but that's a a different discussion totally...

Sheesh! One little hostile takeover.......... smilewink.gif

A great group of mods, a great leader, a great group of people with 24th century ideals ... I'm glad to be a part of this site, it's like a second home - hmmm, anyone baking cookies?...