Sign in to follow this  
Gotabite

Hologram

:huh: :P Could Someone out there give me the true definition of a Hologram and it's capabilities? I have some questions in my mind regarding the capabilities of the Doctor on Voyager. But first I want to truly understand the general definition of a hologram........Thanks B) B) :blink:

I don't know the exact defenition, but from what I understand they are projected images of light, who are programed and controlled by algorithms. And the reason they can hold things is because of some kind of force field/ containment fields.

Hope I'm not confusing you B)

They have a hologram character on Red Dwarf too, but Rimmer does not have the containment field, so he cannot touch anything. from what i understood there, there was a little floating holo-projecteor trasmitting his image. In the case of the doctor the whole room has the holo-projectors. that is why he could only go to sickbay and the holodeck until they get his holo-emitter from the future episode.

yes holograms are beams of light, they can touch, and hold things due to the force feild. i guess they can control it so they can grab when they want, or you cant touch them when they want.

Real world Holography:

Source taken from the Universe in a nutshell by Stephen W Hawking

Holograpyhy is essentially a phenomenon of interference of wave patterns.  Holograms are created when the light from a single laser is split into two separate beams and on bounces off the object onto a photo-sensitized plate.  The other passes through a lens and collides with the reflected light of the first, creating an interference pattern on the plate.

When a laser is shone through the developed plate a fully 3D imade of the original object appears.  An observer can move around this holographic image, being able to see all the hidden faces that a normal photo could not show.

The 2D surface of the plate unlike a normal photo, has the remarkable property that a tiny fragment of its surface contains all the information needed to reconstruct the whole image.

Star Trek Holography:

The holograms in ST are made using the same tech as the replecator matter is beamed into the holodeck and configured to the required shape and held in place by Trackter beam tech

Well the dictionary describes it as...

The pattern produced on a photosensitive medium that has been exposed by holography and then photographically developed.

... which is basically what Abakai said. I think there is a real evolution of Holograms from our time to Star Trek's time. And perhaps the definition has changed a bit. Er... will change a bit.

Holograms are composed of Photonic energy (light) and are able to hold items or be touched due to tractor beam and forcefield technology. If a holographic Item will need to the touched alot (inanimate objects) the item is simply created using replicator technology and then reverted to nothing when the item is no longer needed.