Sign in to follow this  
fredbroca

Sports

This is something that has been brewing in me for a long time. It just seems that whenever I want to watch something like enterprise I turn to the right chanel at the right time and instead of the show I want to watch there is basketball or football and I am getting sick of it. There is nothing worng with sports but my lands how many sports channels are there and they decied that when star trek is on they should have sports instead. I know there is bound to be sports fans here but when I heard about the one football game when their time ran out but the game had not ended and Heidi came on I cheered. Sorry end or rant. What do you think? :dude:

This is something that has been brewing in me for a long time.  It just seems that whenever I want to watch something like enterprise I turn to the right chanel at the right time and instead of the show I want to watch there is basketball or football and I am getting sick of it.  There is nothing worng with sports but my lands how many sports channels are there and they decied that when star trek is on they should have sports instead.  I know there is bound to be sports fans here but when I heard about the one football game when their time ran out but the game had not ended and Heidi came on I cheered.  Sorry end or rant.  What do you think? :dude:

The Heidi fiasco changed television history, never again will football game be taken off the air before the final second has ticked.

I don't care about pro basketball or baseball but Football Is Life, that is the order of things... Just ask Amy how upset I get when my Eagles lose lol.

By the way, I hear they might let a new team in the NFL this year. A team from Green Bay called the Packers, that is if they can beat the High School champions from down the street. :dude::dude:

Click for Spoiler:

Sorry Amy, couldn't resist! E*A*G*L*E*S.... EAGLES!

what is the "heidi fiasco"? im probably in a different country to u so i dont know about it.

i personally hate sport. probably mostly because i'm so bad at it :dude: . I also have a thing against sports teachers (sorry to any sports teachers out there) but i'm sure they're all too braindead to like star trek (sorry again). I'm sorry to have to post this, but i have a lot of anger towards the sports teachers at my school. They always pick on me. :dude:

By the way, I hear they might let a new team in the NFL this year. A team from Green Bay called the Packers, that is if they can beat the High School champions from down the street.  :dude:  :dude:

Click for Spoiler:

Sorry Amy, couldn't resist! E*A*G*L*E*S....  EAGLES!

Hey, hey, hey, careful here. You are talking about the TWELVE TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS HERE. In case you haven't noticed there are a number of Packer castoffs presently on the Eagles roster. And wouldn't you rather have Brett Favre as your quarterback? As for the sports topic, I'm afraid that there is more money and interest in sports, especially considering the current world situation, then there are trek fans. (sorry to say this but it is true). Advertisers would rather spend their money on sportts programming then scripted shows because that draws in the most wanted demographic, males 18-49. Diversions, such as sports, is more lucrative then any other type of broadcast.

This is something that has been brewing in me for a long time.  It just seems that whenever I want to watch something like enterprise I turn to the right chanel at the right time and instead of the show I want to watch there is basketball or football and I am getting sick of it.  There is nothing worng with sports but my lands how many sports channels are there and they decied that when star trek is on they should have sports instead.  I know there is bound to be sports fans here but when I heard about the one football game when their time ran out but the game had not ended and Heidi came on I cheered.  Sorry end or rant.  What do you think? :dude:

Dittto!!!!

To some people (unfortunately a lot of people) sports are really important - even more important than Star Trek!!! :dude:

I personally think it a little annoyying when sports games run over. (not to say I dislike watching sports)

im only crazy for golf.......and PLAYOFF HOCKEY! GO DUCKS!

GO

MIGHTY

DUCKS!!!

EDIT: (i only cheered for the ducks because by the time i wrote this (last playoff season) my beloved Oilers were already out of the running. :dude: )

Edited by bysty

This is something that has been brewing in me for a long time.  It just seems that whenever I want to watch something like enterprise I turn to the right chanel at the right time and instead of the show I want to watch there is basketball or football and I am getting sick of it.  There is nothing worng with sports but my lands how many sports channels are there and they decied that when star trek is on they should have sports instead.  I know there is bound to be sports fans here but when I heard about the one football game when their time ran out but the game had not ended and Heidi came on I cheered.  Sorry end or rant.  What do you think? B)

I know, that's a raw deal when I want to watch something but the end of a sport program I don’t care for runs long but it's fair I guess, if the last 2 minutes of a sports program I do care about were to be cut off short (and it was a close game) to go a regularly scheduled TV show, I would have a broken TV by now.

what is the "heidi fiasco"? im probably in a different country to u so i dont know about it.

Cassidy, regarding your question about "Heidi", see the following link:

Heidi

I don't care about pro basketball or baseball but Football Is Life, that is the order of things...

VBG, you have your priorities straight! B)

Well, I don't have a problem. I watch ENT and SG-1 on UPN, SG-1 in syndication, and Everwood on the WB. Neither UPN nor the WB ever shows sports, so my shows don't get pre-empted.

However, Malcolm in the Middle is pre-empted on FOX for the "FOX Sunday Night Movie" all the time, so I know your pain.

Now with UPN merging with CBS, here where I live Enterprise gets taken off for sports most of the time. Now I know why the ratings for Enterprise is low because whole markets are playing sports instead of Enterprise. If they would play Enterprise at the normal time on a regular basis I bet more people would watch and I bet the people that do watch it at 10:30 pm (where they move it to) don't count as watching the show.

To some people (unfortunately a lot of people) sports are really important - even more important than Star Trek!!!  :lol:

I personally think it a little annoyying when sports games run over. (not to say I dislike watching sports)

Stardate:214134.9

And I am one of those people.Baseball to me is more important than Star Trek on any given day! I hate to say it and right now it pains me to say but I would take the worst baseball game over the best Star Trek episode.I am a trekkie through and through but I am a fan of the American Pasttime first and foremost!!! As VBG said its the order of things.

And with opening day only 41 days away if a Mariners game is on the same time as Enterprise well then thats what the record button on VCR's are for.

I think this quote by Ty Cobb sums it all up.

"I live for the game,I die for the game,BASEBALL IS MY GAME, BASEBALL IS MY LIFE!!!!"

When i was younger i played hockey.Being from a northern state (Michigan). I am a certified usa hockey youth coach as well as a certified asyo coach (soccer) but for them premeting programing. NO thats why we have ESPN And Fox sports . not going all the way back. Its (AYSO)

I don't have this problem. The shows I like are on Global (24 and Survivor) and City TV (Enterprise). There are two networks dedicated to sports coverage, TSN and Sportsnet, and there both good and they both show Leafs and Jays games all the time. CBC shows games as well but they don't pre-empt anything because they are always part of the network schedule. Sometimes the Simpsons is forced later by a football game but I don't mind because it will air anyway.

I love sports, but I HATE it when a game runs past the time slot in which it is ALREADY preempting shows. If they push the rest of the programming back, that's fine, but to lose them forever is awful. :lol:

I remember one time in late 03, right before Nemesis came out, that Entertainment Tonight was gonna devote an entire ep to showing exclusive scenes from Nem. Guess what. Football game. :) I never did get to see that show.

That's why I like college basketball. Except for the occassional overtime, it rarely goes over 2 hours. :lol: