Sign in to follow this  
3 of 7

Money order question

I was wondering what I should do then I order something and it says that I shall pay by money order. ( It does also say internet in parantece (?) . )

How do I do this? I've never payed through internet before....

:P

A money order is a payment device you can purchase at just about any Check Cashing place or Liquor Store; they range in price but are usually less than a dollar or could be free with getting a check cashed.

They are kind of like bank checks except instead of the money being paid by the bank from your account you pay the total amount at the time of MO purchase, (which eliminates ever paying an "insufficient funds" penalty if you are overdrawn at the bank) fill it out and send it in the mail.

We use them every month to pay all our bills because we feel the cost of them is cheaper in the long run than all the collective fees a bank will charge.

More on Money Orders

Go to Winn Dixie and ask for a money order. It will be about 70 cents tax though.

Oh and don't get them from a bank. Bank money orders have super expensive tax. A bank close to here charges 5 bucks each one!

Edited by sea trooper

I was wondering what I should do then I order something and it says that I shall pay by money order. ( It does also say internet in parantece (?) . )

How do I do this? I've never payed through internet before....

310700[/snapback]

Considering you live in another country than most of these suggestions, I think you should do the following.

Money orders from many sources guarantee the money will be there when the payee gets the MO from you.

Banks offer money orders for a higher fee because they have a better reputation than other types of providers of money orders.

When banks receive money orders and cashiers checks, they often call to confirm that they are valid.

I'm not sure if that is available from the other sources.

I don't know if you are sending this money order out of country or not. Wish I could give you better info from your countries standards. :yahoo:

I always send money orders to other countires. The best thing is that they're exactly like a check, you can't cash them unless your name is on it, but it is also like money because it is basically real money, it cannot bounce or be declined. The best and cheapest place to get them at is at Winn Dixie. I'm not sure about Winn Dixies being international though...

If you are ordering something from someone in another country and/or in a foreign currency it is best to go to a bank or post office IMO. You should be able to get an international money order in any currency from either institution. If someone sent me a Winn Dixie money order I'm not sure if my bank would accept it (we don't have Winn Dixie in Canada).

Actually, when MO are purchased, the company issuing it doesn't do anything but make out the dollar amount. requested.

A cashiers check is made to someone, and both the dollar amount and maker can be verified by calling the bank.

I agree, the Jewel, the Winn-Dixie, etc, those are all American institutions that aren't known internationally, and sometimes not even nationally.

Go to a bank, as I can't say how well postal money orders are viewed internationally. I know that when I was a bank teller during my college years, if it didn't come from a bank, we were cautious and skeptical.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

Or like Alterego said before, go to a liquor store.

Edited by sea trooper

I think your best bet would be to go to your bank and explain to them what you need. A bank issued check will usually satisfy the person you are sending it to. Here in the US that would be called a "cashiers check", which means that the check is guaranteed to give the person you send it to the money that it's made out for.

If your bank doesn't have something like that (which I believe they will) you might look into Pay Pal and see if the merchant will accept a Pay Pal payment from you instead of a money order.

Pay Pal is a very safe way to make payments over the internet. Go and check them out at http://www.paypal.com

You can also go to your Post Office. In lots of countries they offer limited banking services. You post office may have that option.

Something I just thought of was if you have a US Military base in your country near where you live you could go to the US Post office on the base and buy a US postal money order there.

I'm not sure what countries in Europe have US bases so this may be of no help, but if there is one that may be an option.

I am not talking about US Post Office. There are many countries that do offer limited banking options. Some of them you open a savings account and earn interest in it.

Thanks for the help, folks. Now I know what to do, I'll go to my post office and hear with them. :borgqueen:

I'll tell you later how it went.

:angry:

If you don't have any luck getting what you need from the bank, you can always use Western Union's BidPay service. You buy the money order online and it's sent diectly to the seller, they also get an email confirmation that the money is on it's way.

If you're buying from someone in the US, the funds are automatically made out in US dollars.

There is a fee for the service based on the total amount of the money order, so you may want to check the site for the fee information before you buy. It's a great time-saver, but you do pay a bit more for the convenience.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help, folks. Now I know what to do, I'll go to my post office and hear with them.  :borgqueen:

I'll tell you later how it went.

:eek:

311538[/snapback]

:angry:

I hope it wasn't too confusing, we all had different opinions!!

Hope it all goes well! :look:

It all went well! :biggrin: They have gotten the money, and the stuff I ordered is sent too me, I will have it soon. :clap: I can't wait! :o

By the way, if anyone wionders who it was that I sent the order too; It's Star Trek: The Experience. :borgqueen: ( So I'll get more Trek stuff soon. )

:clap:

That is great to hear! Way to go! :clap: I hope you get your stuff soon! :biggrin: :clap: :o

Edited by Odie

Guess what; my stuff was sent to on Tuesday, and it arrived today! YES!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P