Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Chat Room Trivia Session #32

StarTrekFans.net's

LIVE

Chat Room Star Trek Trivia

Number Thirty-two

post-68-1109782340.jpg

StarTrekFans.net's Official Chat Room Star Trek Trivia is proud to present the thirty-second session! Please join host Master Q Saturday, March 5th, 2005 at 4:00 PM US/Eastern (1:00 PM Pacific) in the StarTrekFans.net chat room.

Pre-Live Chat Room Trivia:

Yes, once again pull out a piece of paper and a writing utensil because it is time for Master Q's Pre-Live Triviaaaa!!

Just before session #32 starts (4PM EST) send me a private-chat message letting me know that you think you have the solution. I'll then take a note of that and ask you to send me a PM on the message board where you will send me your answer within a max-time of 45 minutes after the live trivia session officially ends (when the answer to Q40 is given).

The first & second participants that get it right will receive four official trivia points

Number Square:

16      15      14      13
12      11      10      9
8       7       6       5
4       3       2       1

Goal: Make a magic square!

Instructions:

• Have each row, column, and the two main diagonals sum equal 34. (That is called the magic-square constant.)

• 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6; 7; 8; 9; 10; 11; 12; 13; 14; 15; 16 are the restricted numbers that you can use. Only use those numbers once, but you must use all. So what you are doing in a nutshell is rearranging the number square I put in this post.

After some planning; guessing; checking; and some logic you'll get it! Good luck with it. :)

post-68-1104456831.gif

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I will host this live chat room Star Trek trivia session today at 4PM EST. I hope all of you will be able to make it. It should be fun.

Until then, I need to go to the store and one other place, but I will be back and ready to go at four o'clock in the chat room -sub room called "Trivia."

Also, I want to thank those that sent me a PM or replied to a PM I sent you. I will be getting to all of them after the trivia session. Thank you for your patients. :elephant:

Hope to see you all in the chat room...Until then...

post-68-1104456831.gif

It looks like we have some technical difficulties!

The chat room will not let me login. The chat room says to; "Encourage your chat operator to upgrade this chat room."

Is everyone else getting that message?

Hopefully VBG will be here to fix this or we might have to consider other options...

I really do not want to delay this. We could setup a temporary chat room...I don't know... We will see.

post-68-1104456831.gif

It looks like we have some technical difficulties!

The chat room will not let me login. The chat room says to; "Encourage your chat operator to upgrade this chat room."

Is everyone else getting that message?

Hopefully VBG will be here to fix this or we might have to consider other options...

I really do not want to delay this. We could setup a temporary chat room...I don't know... We will see.

post-68-1104456831.gif

307558[/snapback]

I'm getting the login screen, but I don't have a field to enter my password into.

Jeez, where's Geordi when you need him? I'll hang out to see what back-ups will be implemented.

OK, let me search for the possibility of creating a free temporary chat room somewhere....

Mrs.Picard, we all get that message too. :elephant:

It is always something! And on the day we are going to have a good trivia session...

mine says it too - I got a temp. solution if ya want it? (and if it still works...)

307565[/snapback]

Please give.

307566[/snapback]

- happy to help :elephant:

EDIT: room shut for the night

Edited by Angel of Darkness

As I am sure all of you know, I do not have the full transcript of the session, and because of that I can't give an exact count of how many points everyone made.

I have Q11 to Q40, though. Would you guys like me to count how many points everyone made in those questions, and then add four points for everyone to that? Would that work with all of you?

post-68-1104456831.gif

Pre-Live Chat Room Trivia:

Number Square:

16      15      14      13
12      11      10      9
8       7       6       5
4       3       2       1

Goal: Make a magic square!

Instructions:

• Have each row, column, and the two main diagonals sum equal 34. (That is called the magic-square constant.)

• 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6; 7; 8; 9; 10; 11; 12; 13; 14; 15; 16 are the restricted numbers that you can use. Only use those numbers once, but you must use all. So what you are doing in a nutshell is rearranging the number square I put in this post.

After some planning; guessing; checking; and some logic you'll get it! Good luck with it. B)

Possible Solution:

1   8    10   15
12   13   3    6
7    2    16   9
14   11   5    4

David R. George III was the only person to get it. Good job on that! :P

All Aboard The Trivia Train *choochoo*

----From The StarTrekFans.net Chat Room----

------With More Stimulating Official Star Trek Trivia------

-----Going Where No Trivia Has Gone Before...-----

Questions & Answers:

Q1: Who punched out Lancelot while playing Guinevere in the holosuite?

Click For Spoiler

Q2: Betazoid women experience what in the phase?

Click For Spoiler

Q3: What was the number of meg-locks that had to be released to set free the deflector dish in “Star Trek First Contact”?

Click For Spoiler

Q4: In what two episodes do we see Dr. M’Benga?

Click For Spoiler

Q5: Where was the conference site in which Cardassian and Bajoran officials met to share intelligence information on the Klingons, but was disrupted by a Klingon attack that killed everyone at this outpost?

Click For Spoiler

Q6: On “Someone to Watch Over Me,” Tomin wished to sample what dish first during his stay on Voyager?

Click For Spoiler

Q7: Name the ichthyoidal alien species we see on TNG’s “Manhunt.”

Click For Spoiler

Q8: We learn that the people of the planet Antede III eat what?

Click For Spoiler

Wheel . . . . . of . . . . . Fortune!

Guess to what you think the puzzle says. (Do not guess letters; just guess what the phrase may be. If needed I will give hints)

Q9: I n _ i n i _ e | _ i _ e _ _ i _ _ | i n | I n _ i n i _ e | _ o _ _ i n _ _ i _ n _

Click For Spoiler

Q10 has four parts! Each worth two points!!

Q10_a: The Vori language being foreign to the Starfleet’s translator translates the language slightly out of sync with the English language...[continued...]

(Vori language) Beg to power = pray to God

Clash = War

New light = Day

Q10_a: Backwalk = ______ ??? [Fill in the blank!]

Click For Spoiler

Here are some more examples...

Coverings = Uniform

Defenders = Soldiers

Flame = Burn

Glimpse = Eyes; See; Look

Q10_b: Knowing glimpse, what do you think “close your glimpses” might mean in English?

Click For Spoiler

A few more examples...

Mother’s father = Grandfather

The before = The past

The light will be on soon = The sun will be up soon

The Now = The present

Q10_c: What do you think “the way-after” means in English?

Click For Spoiler

Q10:_d: What do you think “Granddaughter” translates to in the Vori language?

Click For Spoiler

Q11: Name the ship that Enterprise received a distress signal from in “The Cage.”

Click For Spoiler

Q12: How does Benjamin Sisko like his beets?

Click For Spoiler

Q13: Lieutenant Tuvok offered _________ _________ to ex-Maquis affiliates of the Voyager crew in an endeavor to have them fine-tune to Starfleet discipline. [Fill in the blanks!]

Click For Spoiler

Q14: What Enterprise-D Crewmen was discovered to lied on his Starfleet entrance papers because he wanted to conceal the fact that he was part Romulan? [*Full Name*]

Click For Spoiler

Q15: Gul Toran was dispatched to DS9 to “deal with” what three political dissidents?

Click For Spoiler

Q16: In the very early episodes of Star Trek the planet Vulcan was called what?

Click For Spoiler

Q17: What two people have the rank of Super Q?

Click For Spoiler

Congratulations, Mrs.Picard, on your new promotion to Super Q!!! :( Outstanding job!!

Q18: What classic novel written by Earth author James Joyce did Captain Picard take a copy with him on his vacation to Risa?

Click For Spoiler

Q19: In “The Enterprise Incident,” what Romulan right of law did Spock bring to attention when accused of theft?

Click For Spoiler

Q20: Name this episode! ~ The Enterprise travels back in time to the 1960s just prior to the very first moon landing.

Click For Spoiler

Q21: In “Past Tense,” Admiral Wright was assigned to what planet?

Click For Spoiler

Q22: “Well done” translates into what in Klingonese? (Spelling counts this time!)

Click For Spoiler

Q23: Who/what was the sponsor of the chat room trivia session number thirty?

Click For Spoiler

Q24: The Sword of who was the first known “sword of honor”?

Click For Spoiler

Q25: Legend has it that Kahless the Unforgettable dropped a lock of his hair in lava from what volcano?

Click For Spoiler

Kahless the Unforgettable then plunged the burning lock into the lake of Lursor and twisted it into a blade, the bath’leth! He used it to kill Molor.

That story was actually never in the sacred texts, but was orally kept among the high clerics in private. This story would be used as a test when Kahless the Unforgettable would return....

Q26: In “One,” approximately how many weeks was the crew of NCC-74656 in stasis units?

Click For Spoiler

Q27: Kirk made what from raw materials on hand in “Arena”?

Click For Spoiler

Q28: Which three officers initiated the Enterprise-E’s autodestruct sequence in “Star Trek First Contact”?

Click For Spoiler

Q29: “Peldor joi!” is the traditional greeting during what festival?

Click For Spoiler

Q30: What Federation bureaucrat was assigned to the Enterprise to oversee the delivery of medical supplies to planet Makus II for transfer to the New Paris colonies? [include the bureaucrat’s title!]

Click For Spoiler

Q31: What is HTDS?

Click For Spoiler

Q32: In TMP, what was the name on the hull of the Vulcan shuttle, in English?

Click For Spoiler

Q33: Who is the villain in “The Adventures of Captain Proton”?

Click For Spoiler

Q34: Name the robot that killed the inhabitants of the Malurian system. And as a result also killed what Federation scientist? [Two qs]

Click For Spoiler

Q35: DS9’s Elim’s father is who? [*Full Name*]

Click For Spoiler

Q36: If you are the captain of a Starfleet starship and received a “Code 1” from Starfleet command, then what does that mean?

Click For Spoiler

Q37: Who represented the Caatati people to the crew of the Voyager?

Click For Spoiler

Q38: True or False ~ “Nemesis” is an episode of VOY.

Click For Spoiler

Q39: Who were the three people that Wesley Crusher had to compete with for a spot at Starfleet Academy?

Click For Spoiler

**Drum Roll***

Red Alert! Red Alert! Red Alert!

Phasers set to kill!

...the suspense builds

For the love of God folks, don't do this at home! - David Letterman

Question Forty....

Q40: What tune did Data attempt to whistle in “Encounter at Farpoint”?

Click For Spoiler

post-68-1104456831.gif

All Aboard The Trivia Train *choochoo*

Outcome:

Great Job All!

Because I did not have the transcript from some of the earlier questions I could not give credit to those that deserved credit to those particular questions. Instead I just decided to add four points to everyone's net score, to the data I do have access to. A thank you goes to AngelOfDarkness for letting us use the chat room. :(

And the Winner is David R. George III!

David R. George III

+28*

Mrs.Picard

+14

MrPsychic

+12

AngelOfDarkness

+8

ussacclaim

+8

DrLeonardMcCoy

+4

*Includes 4 points for getting pre-trivia correct! B) Good job on that!

Thanks everyone. The next session will be Saturday, March 19, 2005 at 4:00PM EST. I hope to see all of you there! And I hope some new people will also be joining in. :P

If you are a newbie and have never participate in a live chat room trivia session before (or participated for the first time in session #32), then please join me in the chat room Saturday, March 12, 2005 at 4:00PM EST. I will be hosting a Newbie Session! It should be fun. It will not be intimidating in anyway. So please join-in. Just for joining you will get five points up-front! :o

post-68-1104456831.gif

Hi Spockstellaiter: Again, there are numerous different ways & varying methods someone could try on a problem like this. I am sure there are a lot of shortcut-tricks that do not require the use of algorithms and things of that nature. (I do not believe there is a generalized algorithm for even-ordered normal magic squares, however.) Well, let us keep the method of "KISS" alive here. ("Keep It Simple Stupid.")

It is fully possible to do some guessing and some checking. You just have to logically think out the math and what will happen when you arrange the numbers little by little.

Write the consecutive numbers in the boxes starting with one and then moving from there in a diagonal that slopes upward to the right. When you reach the top row, write the next number in the lowest cell of the bottom row of the next column on the right. Next, when you reach the right-hand column, write the next number in the left-hand column as if it immediately succeeded the right-hand column. When you reach a cell that is already filled, or when you reach the right-hand upper cell, write the next number in the cell directly below the last number written.

One other easy-to-follow shortcut for a 4 x 4 is to make the magic square with boxes representing each number, and then one row at a time, left to right, top to bottom, count from one to 16. As you count, label all the numbers consecutively, and then take note of the two main diagonals (the sums equal the magic-square constant). The numbers of the diagonals which are symmetrically positioned relative to the center should be then interchanged. You then have a four by four normal magic square!

Only problem I have with that, is that it makes people do this problem passively without diving a little deeper into the concepts. You can search on the Internet for the LUX method. (Hopefully that is the right one, if I remember correctly.)

I'll be here on Saturday, hosting a session exclusively for newbies. (I hope to see some there. ----LOL) Session #33 will be a week from tomorrow (Sat.) at 4:00PM EST. Reminds me.......I better check out the chat room to see if it is fully operational............ Looks alright :P

post-68-1104456831.gif

Thanks for telling me, it bugged me. First I got the columns and diagonals to add up, and then I started over and got the rows and columns to add up :P :P