Sign in to follow this  
MrPsychic

Tactical Station

Anyone notice how on the newer starships, the tactical officer stands? Worf stood on both the Galaxy Class Enterprise-D and Sovereign Class Enterprise-E and Tuvok stood on the Intrepid Class Voyager. However, on the Defiant, tactical sat. Which do you think is the better way to run the security/tactical station?

I dunnow. when I designed the bridge for my ship, USS Shiloh, all stations sat, but then again, Shiloh's bridge only has like 6 stations. It depends, I guess.

I would prefer a standing tactical station. I always manned that station in simms. Standing means you can react to a situation quicker, and leave your station to go deal with something else faster.

I think that the standing tactical station is superior due to its improved reaction time. Worf and Tuvok were able to get right into the action if trouble broke out. Of course, Tuvok had a chair available to him and Worf was given one in Generations.

As for the Defiant, it was so small to begin with it would be hard to stand. But every station could easily turn around in time to attack an invader. It would probably be a good idea to have unholstered sidearms on a Defiant class ship. It would be hard to remove a phaser while sitting.

Maybe on stations with a chair, I might sit during the long periods of when nothing is going on. If something happened, like a situation, I would probably stand up to reach the controls better.

Here's why I let the Shiloh's Tactical Officer sit. as you can see, he or she has a small console, dedicated soley to dealing with the ship's defensive and offensive systems (Because Shiloh is a warship with, as you can see, a substantial weaponsload, we took the burdon of Communications off his or her hands)

post-709-1109741035.jpg

As for the Defiant, it was so small to begin with it would be hard to stand. But every station could easily turn around in time to attack an invader. It would probably be a good idea to have unholstered sidearms on a Defiant class ship. It would be hard to remove a phaser while sitting.

306904[/snapback]

It's also possbile that since the Defiant was designed to be a warship, it would function better in this capacity if the Tactical officer wasn't spending the whole time trying to maintain his balance to operate the controls. A sitting position on a ship like th Defiant would proabably be more efficient.

The idea of someone standing at tactical makes a lot of sense, as that way they can directly react to a situation. Plus, if they were trained in another field they could also quickly move to that station and cover for another officer.

It probably would be quite tiring, I'd say the reason they really did it is down to the fact that the cameras need to be able to see the actorsand it's much easier when they're actually standing, also it provide more room for the cameramen to move around.

Wouldn't it be uncomfortable for hours?

307876[/snapback]

Not necessarily. I've stood in one place for 8 hours several days in a row. After that first hour, your legs sort of lock in place. I actually like standing in place.

Well, from my experience at playing chess, standing allows one to think better at tactical. :P

I think that standing would be better, though I personally would not enjoy standing for so long.