Sign in to follow this  
krysis

Maritime and Federation Traditions

I need some help here. I was watching ST2 again the other night and remembered a whistle being blown when Kirk boarded the Enterprise after an exterior inspection. Could someone explain what the blowing of the whistle signify cos I read about it somewhere but couldn't remember too much about it. Is it some kind of maritime tradition?

And then there's another one on Generations: A bottle of wine? liquer? was smashed against the new Enterprise. Why? What was its significance or history to it?

What about Spock's funeral. Why does the bodies of fallen men have to be disposed off in to space (or the sea)? In the past its probably because they couldn't keep the body without rotting but with current ST tech, I'm sure they could preserve the body until it returns home.

Lastly, what other maritime traditions are there that are adopted into ST? I really look forward to your replies.

I need some help here. I was watching ST2 again the other night and remembered a whistle being blown when Kirk boarded the Enterprise after an exterior inspection. Could someone explain what the blowing of the whistle signify cos I read about it somewhere but couldn't remember too much about it. Is it some kind of maritime tradition?

It is very much a maritime tradition that is still used in the US Navy. They would use a pipe. The pipe is used by the Boatswain's Mates. It is used for many different funtions. From meal call to taps. The whistle that was used was "Attention to Quarters," I believe, in the movie.

And then there's another one on Generations: A bottle of wine? liquer? was smashed against the new Enterprise. Why? What was its significance or history to it?

When the ship is baptised it get hit by bottle of champain. The signifiicance I have to look up at later date.

What about Spock's funeral. Why does the bodies of fallen men have to be disposed off in to space (or the sea)? In the past its probably because they couldn't keep the body without rotting but with current ST tech, I'm sure they could preserve the body until it returns home.

You are right about the funeral at sea. It is practice today for many different reasons. As for Spock it could have been his last requests to have funeral at space.

Lastly, what other maritime traditions are there that are adopted into ST? I really look forward to your replies.

306558[/snapback]

There are many. That also includes there ranks. It is also bland of many different martine traditions from different countries.

One I would like to see brought back is saluting. even though they don't wear covers. the rules could be modified to allow for saluting. (We use modified saluting rules in one of my star trek sims.)

I don't know if this counts, or if it's true, but I remember either Picard or another Captain having the power to perform a marriage ceremony.

There was also a scene in The Best of Both Worlds where Picard took a tour of the ship before what he thought to be a hopeless battle.

Indeed ST uses many of the Maritime Traditions of the U.S Navy with the Ranking and the Whistle Blowing ("even though Starfleet is suppose to be non Military they have the Military traditions")the Breaking of the Bottle is indeed to Christen the New Starship in this case NCC-1701-B and the whistle blowing after Kirk did the exterior inspection of the ship was a sign of Respect and dignity for the Captain as he came on board ("And Spocks Body was shot in space but landed on the Genesis Planet")

a Voyager eps and a TNG eps both had important people the Bodies shot into space for the Funeral.

Indeed ST uses many of the Maritime Traditions of the U.S Navy with the Ranking and the Whistle Blowing ("even though Starfleet is suppose to be non Military they have the Military traditions")the Breaking of the Bottle is indeed to Christen the New Starship in this case NCC-1701-B and the whistle blowing after Kirk did the exterior inspection of the ship  was a sign of Respect and dignity for the Captain as he came on board ("And Spocks Body was shot in space but landed on the Genesis Planet")

a Voyager eps and a TNG eps both had important people the Bodies shot into space for the Funeral.

306992[/snapback]

I look at Starfleet like something Akin to the Coast Gaurd. their first job is NOT warfighting, though they maintain many military traditions, including the rank structure. their primary jobs are exploration (a role that is overlooked in the Coast Gaurd's bag of tricks) and the preservation of the Federation's way of life. whenever a Federation Colony or a starship are imperiled, it's a Starfleet Ship to the rescue, much in the same manner a Coast Gaurd vessel would.

I'd nefver really thought of Starfleet quite that way. I guess I'm overall to familiar with the Coast Guard, but that does seem a bit more like the Federation than does the Navy.

The baptizing the ship with a bottle of Champagne should have been impossible in Generations. Wouldn't have the liquid inside frozen and shattered the glass, or at least hit the hull and just shattered?

Thanks. That was all very insightful. I certainly would like to see how Starfleeters salute. Come to think about it, I've never seen either Klingons or Romulans salute too. Can anyone remember if you've seen any of the aliens salute?

One more thing, does anyone know any good sites I can go to to read about maritime and navy traditions?

Come to think of it, ST ships have nothing close to aircraft carrier and hence no fighters like in SW. I suppose its more like those medieval ships with loads of cannons at the sides.

Anyway, thanks again.

Thanks. That was all very insightful. I certainly would like to see how Starfleeters salute. Come to think about it, I've never seen either Klingons or Romulans salute too. Can anyone remember if you've seen any of the aliens salute?

One more thing, does anyone know any good sites I can go to to read about  maritime and navy traditions?

Come to think of it, ST ships have nothing close to aircraft carrier and hence no fighters  like in SW. I suppose its more like those medieval ships with loads of cannons at the sides.

Anyway, thanks again.

307230[/snapback]

I think that in TOS, possibly in "The Enterprise Incident" there were some examples of Romulans saluting, they put their fists to their chests or something, it's been awhile since I've seen it.

And, I've heard it but I guess it can't be considered canon, that Akira-class vessels could be fitted for carrier duty. The Playstation game Star Trek: Invasion also introduced a vessel that performed that duty, with Worf captaining it. That's not canon either, but it's the best I could do.

In Deep Space Nine, they refered to Fighter Craft, but I am assuming those were long range fighters. I've heard them refered to as "Peregrine Class", but I am not sure.

Yea, it was the Peregrine. It was seen in DS9 during several large fleet battles, as well as being used by the Maquis. Here's a picture of it.

post-692-1110007852_thumb.jpg

Can the Akira hangars really accomodate a Peregrine?

What about the shuttle that Data was flying in the begining of Insurection? It looks pretty cool too.

Can the Akira hangars really accomodate a Peregrine?

308351[/snapback]

No, the Peregrine is too large for the Akira to house internally. The Akira could possibly house smaller fighters, such as the Razor from many online RPG's. Peregrines could be launched from a modified Galaxy class, perhaps.