Sign in to follow this  
SilyGreenMonkey

Modly Assistance Please

I am a mod on another forum, and am unsure as to what situations I should take action in. What has to happen before I lock a thread, and what grounds can I delete a thread? My forum is rather vague on what we can and should not do.

Im not a mod, but usually, for you to lock a thread, there has to be Swearing, to much off-topic stuff, name calling, etc. To delete a thread, it think it has to be a topic that is just a Fluff(Cotton Candy Fluff Factory forum)thread, meaning HAS NO POINT Thats what i think you should do to lock/delete threads.

Those are decisions that the Admins and Mods of that site need to discuss and make out the policy.

The actions you take are controlled by the rules that your site has established. Something that may be deleted at 1 board for profane language may be fully accepted at another board, so in one instance it's appropriate to delete a post for profanity but in the other instance it wouldn't be.

Set down some ground rules and go from there.

I'm gonna agree with VBG here. I can understand how you feel, though. When the first incarnation of our Phaserboard was launched, we had to contend with a case of mistaken identity, as well as someone using a screen name I recognised as a cool person to post some rather unsavory stuff. And that was the first week. start out by laying out the ground-rules, then if someone violates those in a thread, you can delete the post, a group of posts, or lock and delete the entire thread. if you have an Invision board, either InvisionFree or a Powerboard, you also have the ability to increase warning levels, which can affect what a person is allowed to do. (I've both used it at the Phaserboard and brought it upon myself here).

PM me if you have any other questions.

As a mod, you need to set the standard for everyone else on the board.

There can be no double standards for your friends or for those you have a fondness.

When there is someone who gets under your skin, double check your reaction before actually acting on it so that you are being fair.

Mods need to be looked up to. :biggrin:

Those are decisions that the Admins and Mods of that site need to discuss and make out the policy.

The actions you take are controlled by the rules that your site has established. Something that may be deleted at 1 board for profane language may be fully accepted at another board, so in one instance it's appropriate to delete a post for profanity but in the other instance it wouldn't be.

Set down some ground rules and go from there.

306473[/snapback]

:yes: :yes:

Being a mod over at one version of Data's message board since about August or September 2003, I can agree with what VBG said here. I actually have only deleted one post, and made a couple corrections to get emoticons or images to show up correctly for members in the entire time of being a MOD. But I agree with discussing with the Admin(s) about ideas, and definately set up ground rules in the forum that you are given to MOD.

Thanks everyone, for your advice! My only problem is, because our mods and admins are spread around the world, it's hard for us to get together to discuss. So far, we've been discussing problems with whoever happens to be online at the time (and whoever happens to have the owner's cell number).

Find a monthly or bi weekly time that everyone can be there, or nearly everyone, and make some firm rules.

I know time zones are hard, but you'd be surprised how flexible people can be if something is meant to be.

Thanks everyone, for your advice!  My only problem is, because our mods and admins are spread around the world, it's hard for us to get together to discuss.  So far, we've been discussing problems with whoever happens to be online at the time (and whoever happens to have the owner's cell number).

306785[/snapback]

What you could do is find out which messenger(Yahoo, ICQ, MSN, AIM) everybody has or can get; or if your site has a chatroom you could all schedule a meeting that way. True with an open chatroom at a site, you could get members that come in so that is tough (I know that one personally.. so my friend(Data) and I either would IM each other or send PMs discussing things about the site). Setting up a meeting time would be beneficial in this case, like Madame Butterfly has suggested.

Also, does the site have an admin section that can only be accessed by admins and mods?? If so, you could always have threads discussing board situations. Most boards either have a forum that is just for the admin/mods that can only be accessed by a password. Or that forum is hidden to regular members.. and can again only be accessed by the mods and admins.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

My mod & admin policy is as my Moderator Rules and Procedures state, but as you can't see them I will tell you the general way to handle it.

Basically, only delete a TOPIC if it can not be fixed by editing/deleting posts.

Normally if the board has post ranks (as my board does), double posts should be "joined" (take the double post's content, edit the first post to add it then delete the doubled post), but some users are offended by this at times; I would only do it to repeat offenders at double posting.

If the topic becomes obscene, it should be quarantined until it can be "cleaned"; removing off topic/obscene posts, then restored. If it can't be restored, only the offensive post should be deleted, as to not remove the legitimist poster's post count (once more, only if you have post ranks do you need to save the posts).

If the topic is in it's nature obscene, then delete it.

One thing you can not forget; once you delete a post it is gone, along with the IP that posted it, so if you are going to ban someone over a post, quarantine it, lock it, and mark it to not be deleted.

Profanity is not a good reason to delete any post or topic, just censor it with the edit button.

And if you are an admin, never forget one thing; keep the SPAMers close, but keep your mods closer; and watched.

Edited by BKY1701

Also, does the site have an admin section that can only be accessed by admins and mods?? If so, you could always have threads discussing board situations. Most boards either have a forum that is just for the admin/mods that can only be accessed by a password. Or that forum is hidden to regular members.. and can again only be accessed by the mods and admins.

306948[/snapback]

if it is an Invision Board, either a free board or a power board, you can select who can see specific forums, such as Admin, Members, Banned, Guests, stuff like that. So, you CAN set up an open forum for the Admin/Mods.

We've actually voted to add a admod-only forum, but it's not around yet. Would 'quarantining' posts be like moving the thread temporarily to the admod-only forum?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer advice!