Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

What if an actor wants to leave?

Which would you rather see happen?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather see happen?

• Re-cast the character.
    • Kill off the character.
    • Have the character leave the show.

If one of the actors wants to leave ENT, which would you prefer to see happen? I think all the characters are essential, so I'd like to see the character abducted by aliens or something, then they could guest star a few times and eb killed off, return to the ship, go back to Earth, or whatever. So, my vote is: Have the character leave the show. :)

Either killed off or leave the show, a good idea would be for a character to be promoted to another ship (i.e. Commander on USS Exeter goes off to be Captain of the Yorktown).

Never ever recast, unless the character is a Trill or some similar alien lifeform.

Even though ENT always gets into big trouble, and are involved in a lot of fights, both on and outside the ship, nobody ever gets killed.. Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems realistic that someone should be killed.. Also it would be interesting to see how the other characters would handle it.

I think promotion or leaving for home is better than killing them off. It leaves things open and the character isn't gone, just 'away'.

Of course, it's hard to 'bring someone back' once they've left. The writers have to come up with a 'believable senario' and going into an "alternate universe" just doesn't cut it with me.

If the actor/actress leaves for a valid reason, ie birth of a child, death of a realitive, taking care of a sick relative/child, etc, then I say by all means bring them back. But if they're leaving because 'they can do better on the big screen' then I say kill them off. The only reason they're 'big stars', or 'popular', is because people see them and love them every week. The ego trip is a very hard vaction to come back from. IMHO :)

Katy

I think promotion or leaving for home is better than killing them off.  It leaves things open and the character isn't gone, just 'away'.

Of course, it's hard to 'bring someone back' once they've left.  The writers have to come up with a 'believable senario' and going into an "alternate universe" just doesn't cut it with me. 

If the actor/actress leaves for a valid reason, ie birth of a child, death of a realitive, taking care of a sick relative/child, etc, then I say by all means bring them back.  But if they're leaving because 'they can do better on the big screen' then I say kill them off.  The only reason they're 'big stars', or 'popular', is because people see them and love them every week.  The ego trip is a very hard vaction to come back from.  IMHO :)

Katy   

Very well said, I definately agree with that. Bev was able to leave and come back (thank god) because they said she was away at starfleet medical. If they had an excuse like that, then that leaves open the possibilty of bringing the character back, but also, if later they don't want to, or the actress/actor doesn't want to be part of the tv series anymore, the writers don't really have to make a big deal about it, because they're gone anyway. Or they can say /heshe was killed while he/she was away.

Have the character just leave the show... Not as messy.. Plus what if one day when they make a movie well what if that person would like to come back and have a cameo in the movie???

Plus I just hate it when they kill people off.. :)

I agree with MeeMaw. I would rather see the the person leave the show than kill them off. This way the actor could leave and come back to the show as a promoted individual or a retired military person. Let's keep our options open. As many have seen before killing off a character only makes some fans stop viewing the show. Others get violent. Look at some of the comments others have made about the character Data's departure. No one really wants to see a person killed off.

MeeMaw hits the nail on the coffin for sure, IMO Having the character leave the show just ties any loose ends for me while still enabling the character to maybe one day return.

It really does not matter it's star trek if they want somebody back they will just make it happen for example they kill off Yar and them poof she comes back in an alternet reality I know that sounds bad but its true :lol:

Well, if a character does decide to leave I think it would be a good idea to replace that character with Shran. His character could add some very interesting interpersonal relationships and would show the beginnings of the Federation's foundation.

I think promotion or leaving for home is better than killing them off.  It leaves things open and the character isn't gone, just 'away'.

Of course, it's hard to 'bring someone back' once they've left.  The writers have to come up with a 'believable senario' and going into an "alternate universe" just doesn't cut it with me. 

If the actor/actress leaves for a valid reason, ie birth of a child, death of a realitive, taking care of a sick relative/child, etc, then I say by all means bring them back.  But if they're leaving because 'they can do better on the big screen' then I say kill them off.  The only reason they're 'big stars', or 'popular', is because people see them and love them every week.  The ego trip is a very hard vaction to come back from.  IMHO :lol:

Katy   

I agree to some degree. I don't mind how characters get written out as long as its not always the same way i.e. everyone dies or everyone get promoted etc.

You should never re-cast. That is a real Dallas tactic if I ever saw it. No one ever dies in Star Trek. There're always holgrams, clones, alternate realities, flashbacks,blah blah to bring them back. If they left then that would leave it open for a swift return. But either way, they'll always be there.

If one of the actors wants to leave ENT, which would you prefer to see happen?  I think all the characters are essential, so I'd like to see the character abducted by aliens or something, then they could guest star a few times and eb killed off, return to the ship, go back to Earth, or whatever.  So, my vote is: Have the character leave the show. :dude:

Have the character leave the show. :dude:

:dude:

I would like the character to be killed becuase it brings their story to a close, then I would not be second guessing on if the character will come back.

i went with leave the show, but on occasion to stir things up a little i guess its ok to kill'em off, but i prefer leaving. also i agree with meemaw if their leaving for A BETTER CARREER CHOICE, KILL'EM OFF. that way they cant come crawling back to us in the show that made them what they were.

Have the character just leave the show...  Not as messy..  Plus what if one day when they make a movie well what if that person would like to come back and have a cameo in the movie???

Plus I just hate it when they kill people off.. B)

Stardate:213441.9

I agree

If the actor/actress leaves for a valid reason, ie birth of a child, death of a realitive, taking care of a sick relative/child, etc, then I say by all means bring them back.  But if they're leaving because 'they can do better on the big screen' then I say kill them off.  The only reason they're 'big stars', or 'popular', is because people see them and love them every week.  The ego trip is a very hard vaction to come back from.  IMHO :lol:

Katy   

I completely agree.

However I do miss the occasional red shirt/red stripe getting vaporized. If you have to kill someone off let it be a red shirt (i.e. an extra). This would add a little dimension to the characters and some reality to the series.