Sign in to follow this  
MrPsychic

Board Error

The board was just down for a short time, complete with a message giving the time. Was this a server update or a basic board upgrade?

That was because the server was being overloaded. I don't know what was causing the overload and I doubt very much that the overload had anything to do with us but thats what it was.

As many people know we are on a shared server, meaning that STF is located on a computer with many other websites. If one or more of those sites are getting a very large amount of traffic (thousands of people logging on) then it will slow the server down.

This is what my server status page looks like normally:

Click For Spoiler

This is what it looks like when there is a VERY high server load:

Click For Spoiler

At other times some of the other "green lights" may become red if that particular aspect of the server is down but usually it's the server load that's causing the problems.

I would love to go to a dedicated server, meaning that STF would be the only site on that server but that is about $250 per month and there's no way I can do that lol

Ah ok.. I figured it was probably just an update.. so I just waited and checked back to see if the boards were back up online later on.

when it refers to that picture, it means that the memory being used at that particular moment is at 95%. It's been fine recently, so I'm guessing they fixed the server.