Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Seven of Nine

Before the arrival of Seven of Nine, we had a Voyager full of Kazon, Kes, crew divisions and multiple confusing anomolies. After Kes evolved into a super thing and flew away, a hole was left in the crew numbers. Step in, high heel first, the glam puss Seven of Nine!

Seven heralded the arrival of a new tone to Voyager. Janeway's bun crawled under the rock it came from, Chakotay learned how to smile, the Kazon thankfully were left behind and we had great new villans such as the Borg (did i say new???), the Hirogen and Species 8472. Voyager got a new astrometrics lab that let them look around better; forgot all about the silly bio-gel packs; and suddenly acquired a wide range of shuttles and photon torpedoes. The sense of impoverishment that gave the early episodes such a depressing feel were abandoned to give more rich story-lines and a nicer feel to the series.

Seven was almost the personification of this with her blonde hair and glitzy outfits. Although she had the personality of a pop sickle, her enormous knowledge and multiple capabilities gave Voyager an almost safety net when in trouble. If a gas cloud was attacking the ship or the shields werent holding, Seven could type in a couple of commands and hey presto! Another core breach averted.

Of course she wasnt just a glam super woman. She also had that whole human development thing going on. She may have seemed like an early T'Pol but underneath she was just an ickle girl whose mommy and daddy had flown after the Borg and ended up getting the whole family assimilated. Having spent her life as a drone and indeed that is how she turned up in Voyager - looking like someone who crashed into a Vacum cleaner delivery van. Removing the implants made her look almost human but a lot of her was still Borg. And what lay beneath that beautiful intelligent exterior was a frightened child. This too mafde for great drama and with the Borg becoming regular villans, she was the child that they wanted back.

Voyager went on to have better links with the Alpha Quadrant. Time travel, enhanced communications, views from Earth, flashbacks, alternate futures and so forth did more to remove the original premise of alienation that Voyager suffered from in the early days. The Seven years may be argued to have been the best and certainly her character rose to the fore as the most interesting and useful. Kes supporters will argue bitterly that that was a bad move but I thought that it was ok.

Seven f Nine will no doubt rise again in a Star Trek incarnation. Hopefully donning that turkey foil shrink wrap and arching a plucked eyebrow while blowing an enemy to pieces!

I loved the cast change from Kes to Seven. I thought both added a lot to the series. My only problem was that Kes just vanished instead of guest starring now and then like Wesley did on TNG. She could'a easilly dropped by and helped out. Take "Dark Frontier". It would'a rocked if the drones had gradded Janeway, the Delta Flyer was in a tractor beam, and the Queen was about to win... just then, the cube tractorring the Delta Flyer explodes. There's a woosh of air, and Kes is seen standing in the Queen's layer. She touches a console, cuasing drones to collapses left and right. We could have the Queen strugling with Kes while Kes yells for Janeway to get Seven and run.

Now, not saying that should'a happened, just using an example of how she could'a showed up once in a while to help out the cew, even if it was only for like 5 mins in some episode.

Anyway, we "did" get to see her again, but I would have preferred that she came to save the ship instead of try to destroy it. For those who didn't see her return episode, see "Fury".

Anywho, I liked both characters equally, just wish we saw Kes guest star more than once is all. :)

But that would have raised silly points like why does she arrive on some occasions and not others? I think it was better to just leave her out of it all together. Having a super human friend handy would have just weakened all future plots. When in trouble call Kes? 'The Kes Show': ''This week Voyager gets into trouble again and calls Kes for a change. She appears and saves them''. Hmm. Of course you are now going to disagree with this completely and ferverantly argue that your point is right and that it is a wonderful idea so I may just as well say, wow! Yes. Super Kes on every week. That would have been cool and she could have done stuff for them all the time. Saved them all the time. Yay. Great show!!! Voyager would have been much better then.

In fairness to the captain he did add this disclaimer;

Now, not saying that should'a happened, just using an example of how she could'a showed up once in a while to help out the cew, even if it was only for like 5 mins in some episode.

I think the Captains scenario might have been good for a one shot deal. It would have been cool to have the incident of Kes saving the Voy also lead to a next step in her evolution which in turn could be traced back to the main reason The Caretaker saw fit to be involved with them in the first place.

:) I agree with the Captain that there was a way to keep Kes in the cast and also maintain the demension added to the plots of Voyager that Seven brought with her. Seven defintely added character to Voyager. But I also think more could have been done with plots centering around Kes at times while she was on the show. Still, there is absolutely no doubt that Seven of Nine added a very exciting element to the series. She also added more viewers. :) :borg: B)

If it were up to me, Seven would join the cast, and Kes would do one of the following:

1. Become a recurring character, only seen when a script called for her.

2. Become a guest star and show up a hand full of times, kinda like how Wesley showed up a few times after leaving TNG. Would'a been nice to see Kes show up once and save them from the Borg... just a one time thing.

Anywho, CYA!

I liked Seven of Nine, but not so much the direction of the show afterward. Too often the episodes revolved around her somehow. She was the solution to so many problems, and the other characters (besides the Doc and Janeway) went too far into the background. If the show had started out that way, perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad. The original was very much like this. But this started out as an ensemble cast with some excellent characters like B'Elanna, Chakotay, and Tuvok. All of whom were ignored too often once Seven came on board. Even the best interactions were replaced by her - such as Janeway and B'Elanna, and Kes and the Doctor.

I, for one, wish that Kes would have stayed. She was a great character, and had a warmth that I missed when she was phased out. It wouldn't have been so hard to keep her about as prominent as the other characters.

Of course you are now going to disagree with this completely and ferverantly argue that your point is right and that it is a wonderful idea so I may just as well say, wow! Yes. Super Kes on every week. That would have been cool and she could have done stuff for them all the time. Saved them all the time. Yay. Great show!!! Voyager would have been much better then.

I love your sarcasm and humor, Prometheus. ^-^;;

I too, am a fan of Seven of Nine. She was just so funny. The scenes where we saw her becoming more human were very touching. I always find myself cheering for her when she does something dramatic. She was a very dynamic, dimensional character. And Jeri Ryan portrayed her just perfectly. I haven't had the opportunity to see many shows while Kes was around, so I'm not in much of a position to compare, but I certainly do like "the Seven years." She added so much to the show.

Yes, Seven of Nine was not a people person but she was a welcome change from the boring Kes. Seven's look more than anything else got more males interested in Star Trek: Voyager.

A friend of mine who happens to be male began watching the show somewhat for that very reason. You know who you are.

:devil: :devil: :devil:

:bow::bow:

:lol:

But that would have raised silly points like why does she arrive on some occasions and not others? I think it was better to just leave her out of it all together. Having a super human friend handy would have just weakened all future plots. When in trouble call Kes? 'The Kes Show': ''This week Voyager gets into trouble again and calls Kes for a change. She appears and saves them''. Hmm.  Of course you are now going to disagree with this completely and ferverantly argue that your point is right and that it is a wonderful idea so I may just as well say, wow! Yes. Super Kes on every week. That would have been cool and she could have done stuff for them all the time. Saved them all the time. Yay. Great show!!! Voyager would have been much better then.

note to self...don't anger ther P-man. At first I did not enjoy seven and found her to be way to robotic and bossy..having B'Elanna yell at her to be more polite grated my nerves. Kes always struck me as someone who was lost, despite learning every ep, she always seemed not to know what was going on. IMO Seven did bring on the better Voyager years, I just never liked how Janeway always went out of her way to help Seven when it seemed sometime that Seven could care less. I would to have liked to see Kes save voyager once but agree with the P man. Imagine if every time Picard and the Enterprise got into trouble Picard yelled "Q! WE need you!"

I totally agree. Season 3 was definitly the best season. Kes was boring, but I have to say, Seven was worse. She had so much screentime that we hardly ever got to see the other characters! They were all reduced to like one line per episode. But I did enjoy watching her get drunk... that was funny :lol:

I totally agree. Season 3 was definitly the best season. Kes was boring, but I have to say, Seven was worse. She had so much screentime that we hardly ever got to see the other characters! They were all reduced to like one line per episode. But I did enjoy watching her get drunk... that was funny :lol:

She did have a great many episodes, but that's just because she's an awesome person. I enjoyed watching her grow in each one. She is so funny and very smart. Her conciseness always humors me. I like the way she talked. She was not afraid to state the obvious or say something that nobody else wanted to say. She had no problem questioning the captain. I don't think she detracted from the others at all. If anything she served to enhance their characters and had a profound impact on their lives. Certainly Janeway's, the Doctor's, and Chakotay's. Her presence perhaps made everyone more appreciative of their own humanity. They learned as much from Seven as she learned from them. I think she was a wonderful addition to the Voyager crew.

In which episode did she get drunk?

In came back from travelling SE Asia after a year and was introduced to Scorpion pt 1 as my first fix of ST for years, I was compelled to view and see the transition of 7 becoming human or at least part way there. Its like a child being let free for the first time and having to deal with the things we take for granted. I believe Voyager did this in a very adult fashion and made the most of the combination of her and the Doc learning to what it was like to become human.

In came back from travelling SE Asia after a year and was introduced to Scorpion pt 1 as my first fix of ST for years, I was compelled to view and see the transition of 7 becoming human or at least part way there. Its like a child being let free for the first time and having to deal with the things we take for granted. I believe Voyager did this in a very adult fashion and made the most of the combination of her and the Doc learning to what it was like to become human.

Well put T'Pol :waaaa:

Seven was a nice, addition, BUT...

It really felt at the time that they needed the "sexy girl" around....

I'm sad also that Kes didn't show up more.

And, 7 was surely surexposed...

Seven was a nice, addition, BUT...

It really felt at the time that they needed the "sexy girl" around....

I'm sad also that Kes didn't show up more.

And, 7 was surely surexposed...

:grin: Yes it was obivous that the studio thought a sexy girl image would increase Voyager"s ratings. But thank goodness this sexy girl came with "Brains, character, and talent." B)

I would love to have the chance to talk Logic with Seven, she was very intellectually stimulating and I wonder if I could have kept up with her.

I would love to have the chance to talk Logic with Seven, she was very intellectually stimulating and I wonder if I could have kept up with her.

That would be fun B)

But I think I'd get lost in the first five minutes of discussion...Lol :grin:

:grin: I think you're up for the challenge B) .......It would be a great experience don't you think? B)

Thanks. Wouldn’t it be great to see all the of the Hugh 'Logic' driven characters engaging in the debate of the century; Spock's eyebrow doing 50 push-ups a second, Smoke rising from Data’s head Odo turning inside out and Seven, wait, what would Seven be doing?

..."Inefficient", fer sure -Star Trek has a history of character changes over the course of a series, one that has lent an authentic air ... i thouroughly enjoyed the Seven years, and agree that our Kes was getting a little tired ... i do like the idea of her having a recurring character ... no to the 'Q' effect, eh?

That would be fun :D

But I think I'd get lost in the first five minutes of discussion...Lol :o

Yeh i'm apparently very logical, and intelligent, but not very efficient.

All ladies want a man with a flaw to correct :lol:

Thanks. Wouldn’t it be great to see all the of the Hugh 'Logic' driven characters engaging in the debate of the century; Spock's eyebrow doing 50 push-ups a second, Smoke rising from Data’s head Odo turning inside out and Seven, wait, what would Seven be doing?

She'd be looking sexy of course.

In this week's episode: ''T'Pol goes through Ponn Farr and is locked in a cage with a time travelling Seven. Whose reproductive implants are malfunctioning and causing hormone surges in her body. And they're naked. With decontamination jelly all over them. On Vulcan in the summer.''

She'd be looking sexy of course.

In this week's episode: ''T'Pol goes through Ponn Farr and is locked in a cage with a time travelling Seven. Whose reproductive implants are malfunctioning and causing hormone surges in her body. And they're naked. With decontamination jelly all over them. On Vulcan in the summer.''

:lol:

I liked Seven of Nine, but not so much the direction of the show afterward.  Too often the episodes revolved around her somehow.  She was the solution to so many problems, and the other characters (besides the Doc and Janeway) went too far into the background.  If the show had started out that way, perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad.  The original was very much like this.  But this started out as an ensemble cast with some excellent characters like B'Elanna, Chakotay, and Tuvok.  All of whom were ignored too often once Seven came on board.  Even the best interactions were replaced by her - such as Janeway and B'Elanna, and Kes and the Doctor. 

I, for one, wish that Kes would have stayed.  She was a great character, and had a warmth that I missed when she was phased out. It wouldn't have been so hard to keep her about as prominent as the other characters.

I 100% agree with you! Besides, all those changes that you mentioned weren't brought about by the addition of 7, they just happened at the same time....I really didn't like her very much, although she didn't detract from my enjoyment of watching the show...she just didn;t add to it either. Plus, I really liked Kes.

:rolleyes: hehehe. Personality of a popsicle. hehehe :ph34r: