I wasn't around for the 60's shows (born in the 80s) but my dad is so obsessed with old tv shows its not even funny. Our tv room is full of tapes of 60s tv shows. We have the Avengers, Gilligans isle, Bewitched, Get smart, The wild wild west, The time tunnle, Outer Limits, Twilight zone, The man from uncle, TOS..the list goes on and on. Name any tv show from some time around 1960, and I gaurentee you we have at least one episode, most likely the entire collection of episodes! Is anyone else like this, or is it just my weird family? Its understandable if you were alive then, but I'm a late 80s girl! Its kind of sad how many we have. Am I the only young person who feels like I was born in 1955?

Well my familys not like that... But I love Get Smart and I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, My Three Sons.. Get Smart is my fave out of those.... B) On a binder I have it says on the back "Trekkie and loving it..." :) For those who have seen the show you'll get it... :) B)

I guess its really only my dad and not my entire family whose like that (thank god!) but I'm pulled into it. oh yeah I forgot about I dream of genie, I have that too, lol. yeah, get smarts funny :)

Think of it like this. When you get to be your Dad's age, do you think you might have a few of your favorite shows around from when you were younger? Especially as technology improves and it takes less space, the quality is better and it's just basically easier to have old shows?

I don't think your family is weird at all. Your Dad enjoys those shows, it's possible for him to have them, so he does. You're probably going to have at least all the Star Trek series, maybe even more of your favorite shows and someday your kids are going to be complaining about all those old, antiquated shows that their Mom has around. Then you'll understand! :)

lol, yeah thats true. I mean I don't think hes weird exactly....but you really should see our tv room. I don't have cable, so the only shows I'v really watched are 60s ones. That is a good point though, it will be really funny when my kids omplain about all my star trek dvds. I can just picture it; "Shes so old fashioned! dvds! i mean please, no one has those anymore! And what is it with her and startrek anyways, its so old, and whats the point?"

I loved Get Smart. I haven't seen it in years but as soon as someone says "Cone of Silence" I'm laughing.

Your family sounds like mine. I was born in the early 70's, but my favorite movies, music, and television shows (90% of them anyway) were made before I was born. Yes, a great deal of parental influence (Batman: The Movie ROCKS! :) ), but my 60's television fetish is completely mine.

I loved Get Smart.  I haven't seen it in years but as soon as someone says "Cone of Silence" I'm laughing.

I don't know if you saw it but... They had a "Portable Cone of Silence" That consisted of Two round things on their heads that can only be described as fish bowls.. With a tube conecting them..

Needless to say they got stuck in it... :)

Your family sounds like mine.  I was born in the early 70's, but my favorite movies, music, and television shows (90% of them anyway) were made before I was born.  Yes, a great deal of parental influence (Batman: The Movie ROCKS!  :) ), but my 60's television fetish is completely mine.

really? so I'm not the only one? Maybe it has something to do with us mainers lol

I wasn't around for the 60's shows  (born in the 80s) but my dad is so obsessed with old tv shows its not even funny.  Our tv room is full of tapes of 60s tv shows.  We have the Avengers, Gilligans isle, Bewitched, Get smart, The wild wild west, The time tunnle, Outer Limits, Twilight zone, The man from uncle, TOS..the list goes on and on. Name any tv show from some time around 1960, and I gaurentee you we have at least one episode, most likely the entire collection of episodes! Is anyone else like this, or is it just my weird family?  Its understandable if you were alive then, but I'm a late 80s girl! Its kind of sad how many we have.  Am I the only young person who feels like I was born in 1955?

I feel the same way. I too am a fan of 60s and 50s television shows, that is why I like TOS the best (although TNG is just beneath it). I am also a big fan of The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and a couple of shows that people in the US might not have heard of, such as The Adventures of Robin Hood and Doctor Who.

By the way.....Bewitched is better than I Dream of Jeanie :)

I was born in 1959 so I was just a tot in diapers during the "Golden Age of Television", but I also enjoy many old TV series besides TOS. The original versions of The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits are at the top of my list. There was another old sci-fi/horror series that I love..it's called "One Step Beyond." Classic stuff! My dad enjoys alot of old series as well. He doesn't have a VHS collection but his favorite channel to watch is TVLand, a cable channel which shows nothing but old classic TV series from the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

(previouly in Off Topic)

This really belongs in the Holodeck.

Didn't know that I've watched so many 60's shows.....Well golleeeee!

Fond of: Gilligan's Isle, Get Smart, F Troop, Green Acres,Bewitched, Hogan's Heroes, Beverley Hillbillys- don't have any on tape though.

Grew up watching as reruns mind you: Dr Who, I Dream of Jeannie, The Munsters, Addam's Family, The Jetsons, The Flintstones, Rocky and Bullwinkle.....

When I had cable tv, I found myself watching:The Flying Nun, The Monkees, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, The Big Valley, Mission Impossible, The Time Tunnel, The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents....

OMG- I think I have square eyes...don't let me start listing 70's shows...

I was born in 1956 and I remember the 60's TV shows very well. My favorites beside TOS were Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Johnny Quest, Lost in Space, Batman, Dragnet, Combat, Gilligen's Island, I Dream of Genie, The Wild,Wild West, Petticoat Junction, and the Beverly Hillbillies.

I burnt out on most of them from watching reruns but will always check out a Twilight Zone, Get Smart, Addams Family or Munsters episode. Many listed above now require additional channels be purchased to view. :naughty:

There were some great shows in the 60's. I wasn't born till 69 but in the early to mid 70's a lot of the 60's TV shows were played in reruns after school so I grew up with Gilligan, Jeannie, Beaver, Father Knows Best, Get Smart, Hogans Heroes and a host of other classics.

Great stuff.