Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Ensign Ro's earring

Something I noticed tonight while watching TNG..Why does Ro wear her earring on her left ear while Kira and the Bajorans of DS9 wear theirs on the right ear? Is it Ro's rebelling nature? It's probably explained somehow in one of her episodes...Hmmm, Perhaps in Ro's first episode?

Any thoughts ?

I think Ro was just being different and difficult, she reminds me of the one child in class who would always plot against other kids. :yahoo:

I'd have to agree with that assessment. Even in the episode Preemptive Strike when Riker was disguised as a Bajoran he wore the earring on his right ear.

I'm not sure why they initially had Ro wearing her earring in her left ear. Later on DS9 I think that it meant you were in the P'ah Wraith cult if you wore your earring in the right ear.

I certainly don't think they meant for Ro to show support for a cult that hadn't even been developed yet in the minds of DS9 creators. I think it was her way of showing that she was Bajoran but not a "follower of the Prophets." Rather an atheist who had been pretty disillusioned with the Cardassian occupation and the "abandonment" of the Bajorans by their Gods.

Spacetigger: They give a very in-depth explanation of Ro's earring and other Bajorans reaction to it in the Avatar books I/II, the Mission Gamma series books, and the latest book "Unity." You're such a big Kira fan, you would love these books. It is like DS9 is still going on.

I'm not sure why they initially had Ro wearing her earring in her left ear.  Later on DS9 I think that it meant you were in the P'ah Wraith cult if you wore your earring in the right ear.

I certainly don't think they meant for Ro to show support for a cult that hadn't even been developed yet in the minds of DS9 creators.  I think it was her way of showing that she was Bajoran but not a "follower of the Prophets."  Rather an atheist who had been pretty disillusioned with the Cardassian occupation and the "abandonment" of the Bajorans by their Gods. 

Spacetigger:  They give a very in-depth explanation of Ro's earring and other Bajorans reaction to it in the Avatar books I/II, the Mission Gamma series books, and the latest book "Unity."  You're such a big Kira fan, you would love these books.  It is like DS9 is still going on.

304806[/snapback]

Yeah, I kinda agree that she wanted to show that she was a Bajoran just not an active follower of the prophets..Glad they went with Kira on DS9..I've heard about those books before and I really do need to pick them up..I'm hesitant because I already have a Trek book half-read. I can just never find the time for it..Oh well..

Deep Space Nine would have been a lesser show for certain without Kira as opposed to Ro.

I never really like Michelle Forbes anyway, with or without her earring. :yahoo:

Edited by The King