Sign in to follow this  
poguemahone

Sosa gets Caught

Sosa ejected after cork is found in shattered bat

CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs star Sammy Sosa was ejected in the first inning of Tuesday night's game against Tampa Bay right when umpires found cork in his shattered bat.

The Cubs had runners at second and third when Sosa broke his bat with a grounder to second that at first appeared to drive in a run.

But crew chief Tim McClelland gathered with the other three umpires to examine the bat. Cubs manager Dusty Baker came out and the umpires showed the bat to him.

Mark Grudzielanek was sent back to third base, the run was wiped off the board and Sosa was ejected as he stood in the dugout.

From ESPN

thats really SAD. i would've never expected something like that from him. but i guess i really dont follow baseball, so i really wouldnt know. but to feel you've gotta cheat like that really is sad. baseball especially, but all sports, have become too much of a business, and not enough of a sport anymore. too many men out to get paid, instead of playing a childhood fantasy on the field. all those strikes for more money, as if twenty million aint enough, HA!!! what a joke. in the end the only ones to suffer are the fans, i just dont understand why they keep going back. if it were you or me that got arrested for coke, or some other drug, or even a murder charge, or anything, we'd be locked up for life, but these SUPERSTARS get off with a slap on the wrist. oh well whacha gonna do. c'est la vie.

Just a small note: Sammy said in a press conference later on that it is his bat, and that it was a bat he ment for batting practice, and it got in with his game bats by mistake. Well my question is that corking bats is a no no, so why would you even bring it to the ballpark taking a risk like that?

so what does the cork do for the bat anyway?

Basicly you drill a hole in the top of a bat to make it lighter, and fill it in with cork or rubber or something light. Thus it looks like a normal bat bit on the sweet spot, right on the barrel, there is less mass so the bat speed is quicker and you hit the ball harder, and farther.

Another sad day for Chicago sports. The Bulls have faded, the Bears still and will always suck, and now the Cubs star may have been cheating. This is certainly going to call into question any of his previous home runs and creats a dark shadow on Sammy that he will never outrun. How sad indeed for all of baseball.

Stardate:213425.9

Commishioner Bud Selig had officals scan the remaining 76 bats that was in Sosa's locker.The results came up negative fortuantly for Sosa. Because Selig flat out said that if one more bat contained cork the following actions would be taken.Sammy Sosa donated 4 bats to the hall of fame.he donated three from the 1998 season,They were homeruns 58,60,and 62.He also donated the bat that hit homerun number 500 that he hit earlier this year.Selig was going to have those bats scanned if just one more bat in Sosa's locker contained cork.If any of the bats in the hall of fame contained cork then Sosa's career was over.Selig going to have those homeruns erased for the record books and give Sammy Sosa the same treatment as Shoeless Joe Jackson and Pete Rose recieved.Lifetime ban from baseball.

So the question u have to ask urself is this.Is he still Slammin Sammy Sosa or his he just Scammin Sammy Sosa :)

Other questions; why would anyone practice with a corked bat (is that legal?) and if there is a good reason to, wouldn’t you make sure it was clearly marked as corked to prevent an accident? I don’t think they are going to find any donated bats to be corked, I would be suspicious of all the bats he hit HR with which he did not donate. My gut says scamming.

Stardate:213430.1

First of all it is legal to use a corked bat in batting practice cause the rule states that an altered bat is illegal in baseball GAMES it says nothing about batting practice.But i do agree that he should of marked his bat to prevent an accident.

Just a small note: Sammy said in a press conference later on that it is his bat, and that it was a bat he ment for batting practice, and it got in with his game bats by mistake. Well my question is that corking bats is a no no, so why would you even bring it to the ballpark taking a risk like that?

yea right, that's like the Mcsorley stick length shennaginans back in the day..xenexian least u were alive to see your teams do well once..I caught the Habs win one Cup and that was it..still it's sad seeing pro's cheat.

id love to give him the benefit of the doubt. but over the past few years ive gone from, naive, to extremely cynical. i dont like how i am now, but sooooo many people have made me that way. i wish there was a way he could prove he wasnt cheating. that home run run with him and mcgwyer, was the only interest i slightly had in baseball since the '86 METS. oh well. such is life.