Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Like Space History?

Are you interested in manned spaceflight history? I love it myself. When I was in college I wrote a research paper on the Apollo program and a couple of the books I read as research are listed below. I've read both probably 5 times each and am in the process of reading one of them again.

The first one I would suggest you read is A Man On The Moon

aman.JPG

This is a great book, covers every aspect of the Aopollo program and also many of the earlier programs as well. This is the book that was used as the base for the HBO mini-series From "The Earth To The Moon". By the time the Mini-Series came out I had already read the book several times over.

After reading that book I suggest reading Chariots For Apollo, this is a great book about the making of the Lunar Module. It's a great and widley unknown story.

chariots.JPG

These are awesome real life space stories, I promise you won't be sorry for reading them if you do check them out. If nothing else at least watch the HBO mini-series From The Earth To The Moon.

earthtomoon.gif

Space history is quite interesting. I have read some books and watched some TV shows, but I don't think I have read those particular ones - thanks for the suggestions! :rolleyes:

I have done a bit of research on the history of space flight. It is pretty interesting, but I can only take so much history. I’m more familiar with the history or background of how the Copernicus system shaped and how Galileo, Kepler, & Newton contributed and proved this system.

Edit:

Also . . . .

Maybe this should be moved to the science board

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Edited by master_q

Edit:

Also . . . .

Maybe this should be moved to the science board

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Good Point (orginally in Off Topic)

Space themed books are interesting, and I have read a lot of non fiction space books. They tend to lack the interesting plot lines of fiction, but it adds on the excitment of the changing history within our world.

i havent watched it all yet, but i love from the earth to the moon, i wanna go get the dvd of the series sometime. our space history fascinates me greatly, after all it is the reality version of something we all love. im not much of a book reader, but if i find one of these maybe ill check it out, thanks.

I still have a book you might be interested in. Its been out of print for years but a piece of history nonetheless. Its title is "We Seven". It's the personal account of the original seven Mercury astronauts written by each one of them. Parts of it were used as reference by Tom Wolfe for his novel "The Right Stuff". Sometimes it's a little boring because well, lets face it, these guys were not writers. From a historical standpoint, it's invaluable to glimpse inside the head of each of them as they prepare to embark on the great adventure of being launched into space atop former ICBM's. Perhaps the Norfolk library or one of the other city branches still has a copy. If you're really interested in the history of the space program I recommend that you give this book a try.

The first one I would suggest you read is A Man On The Moon

After reading that book I suggest reading Chariots For Apollo, this is a great book about the making of the Lunar Module. It's a great and widley unknown story.

These are awesome real life space stories, I promise you won't be sorry for reading them if you do check them out. If nothing else at least watch the HBO mini-series From The Earth To The Moon.

I havent read those two yet, may need to do that since it seems I now have some spare time..

And From the Earth to the Moon??? OMG! :lol: :lol: :laugh: :lol:

Love that series(and the soundtrack), as well as Apollo 13, and I am going to get the DVD of "The Right Stuff", I love that movie, plus on the DVD there is supposed to be several hours of features, including interviews!! :bow: :lol: