• take up seats with body parts
    • won't give seats to elderly/disabled
    • talk on cell phones LOUDLY
    • swear to look 'cool' LOUDLY
    • play pranks on the driver
    • have TERRIBLE B.O.
    • have TERRIBLE B.O. and use the hand-holds
    • use open windows as trash-cans

I love public transit, and swear by it's use, but I am sick of the grave indifference many riders show to their fellow passengers ... the bus (or train) is not a living room!!! - who's with me?... :blink:

I've taken public transit for over 10 years and decided that you're never going to win. i have many stories regarding weird/funny/sad things that have happened. I am living in a small bckwards town right now and can rollerblade everywhere and it's much more freindly. :blink:

I voted not giving seats to the elderly. I've lived in several different US cities and not all offer very good access to public transportation. One incident that got my goat was a young man complaining because he had to stand up because a wheel chair bound person got on board; his seat was in the place that had to be folded up. He complained loudly for everyone on the bus to hear including the person in the wheelchair.

When I lived in the DC area you were grateful if standing room was still left when your place in line came up. I marveled that people had mastered the art of holding on with one hand and balancing their book in the other and reading all the way home. I can understand that some people need to start their workday as soon as possible and they may need to use the phone on the way in but since I like to read that would annoy me.

Now, I also live in a rural area so a long drive is my only option. When I lived out West I did see people get out their cross county skis and head to work after a big storm - that was pretty interesting.

I cant drive so I have been taking the public transit. I have for 5 years now. I know all the drivers and hey I am not ashamed to admit it but the more drivers you know the less times you have to pay haha

its sad kinda because I have been invited to take part in many of the drivers personal lives, like going to a party or babysitting for them or even just hanging out with them on their route.

the one thing that I cant stand is ( this does not mean all ) when the teenagers get on the bus, they are so rude to the driver and other people it makes me sick!!!! once I was going to the doctors for a broken foot and the bus was pritty full. the driver asked that the kids move to the back so that I could sit closer to the doors and the kids through a fit about it!!!!!! so I try not to ride the buss on the weekends or 3pm because that is when the school gets out.

We have a very modern, safe public transportation system, all of the buses have cameras on board and all of the riders know one of the passengers riding could be an un-uniformed officer (clearly marked) so it’s always peaceful and pleasant to use. Cost for unlimited two ways riding for two hours past the time the bus reaches the end of the route you are on is $2. That fare also includes the right to transfer to the city trolley system and for a very modest cost upgrade, it is possible to transfer to the Metrolink, a rail system which will take travelers as far as Los Angeles, 2 hours away.

I voted for people who take up a seat with a bag (unless it is big enough or too heavy that you really can't have it on your lap).

I take the bus all the time and have found that the people here have always been really good about giving up seats to elderly riders, the handicapped or people with babies/toddlers. The thing that gets me is the people who tend to not give up seats to those groups are grown men. It always seems to be either women or teens (both male and female) who are the ones to give up their seats while the men just sit there with their legs spread so far apart that they take up the leg room for two seats. BO is the only real problem.

It's a tough decision. They are all very annoying! I'd have to go with the taking up extra seats. Most of the noise and smell I can screen out. The throwing stuff out of windows is also pretty bad.