Sign in to follow this  
voyagerboy

No Why

I know! I love him too! :rolleyes: I'm so sad! i still can't get over it! ;) :lol: :huh: I'll never be the same again! I went into hysteria when I first saw nemesis! (actually, i was able to control myself because I was in a room fulll of people, but f I hadn't been, I would have run around the room screaming.) ;)

In-story explanation: Data "flew" over to the Schimitar to save Picard. He felt that he should make the sacrifice to save his captain, rather than waiting for Picard to succeed in a suicide mission. Watching the movie the first time, I thought Picard was actually gonna go through with it!

Real life explanation: Brent Spiner's getting old, thus he decided it would be a good plot twist to have the character die, rather suddenly, and in a shocking manner.

I know! I love him too! :huh: I'm so sad! i still can't get over it! :)  ;)  ;) I'll never be the same again! I went into hysteria when I first saw nemesis! (actually, i was able to control myself because I was in a room fulll of people, but f I hadn't been, I would have run around the room screaming.) :rolleyes:

I'll be honest I was by myself watching it at 2am I couldn't wait till the next day (it didn't come to our theater) and a little dear fell out of my eye. His brother isn't gonna be the same B) :lol: :)

I feel your pain. I still can't really talk about it. It hurt too much

Same here, it hurts so much I don't want to talk about it....but I still do talk about it a bit, if necessary.

And to the people who complain that we all need to get over it because he is a character in a movie.... why we react this way is that Data has touched our lives in ways we can't always describe. Though he is fictional to some of you, he is real in many ways to us....many of us out there can relate to him, are interested in him, care about or love him....And no matter how people yell at us to get over it, we see him as a friend in many ways, and we are not going to just go "He's gone end of story, now onto the next subject". (and note here, I am not just directing this towards a specific group of people here....I actually had this argument this afternoon with MY OWN MOTHER! And since a similar thing was said here, I felt I would share what I told her)

i think Data' character was 're-born' in order to bring back some of the innocence the character lost when he found hid 'emotions' - pinnochio, the prodigal android - as for his age, anyone see the Matrix animated trailers? - they can just whip up a wrinkle-free Spiner on the iMac, now - hmmm...

And to the people who complain that we all need to get over it because he is a character in a movie.... why we react this way is that Data has touched our lives in ways we can't always describe. Though he is fictional to some of you, he is real in many ways to us....many of us out there can relate to him, are interested in him, care about or love him....And no matter how people yell at us to get over it, we see him as a friend in many ways, and we are not going to just go "He's gone end of story, now onto the next subject". (and note here, I am not just directing this towards a specific group of people here....I actually had this argument this afternoon with MY OWN MOTHER! And since a similar thing was said here, I felt I would share what I told her)

I totally agree. Wonderfully said.

I totally agree. Wonderfully said.

THank you ensign_beedrill!

Sheesh, I had no idea people got so emotional over a tv/movie character.  This is, indeed, quite fascinating! :blink:

Maybe to some of us Trek is MORE than just a tv/movie franchise. We have invested a great deal of emotion into Trek and have "known" the TNG characters for over 15 years. I can't say that I have known many people that I'm not related to for that long. To be perfectly honest (and I mean no offense) but if you consider Trek to be just a tv/movie franchise and Data to be just a machine, then I feel sorry for you because you are missing out on a lot of what Trek is. Trek is not about starships, phasers and technobabble. It is about the hope of the future and relationships and about being the best person you can be.

Exactly. It is about hope for the future, dreams of tomorrow and filled with characters that are rich in depth and emotion (yes, even Data) and moving to the spirit. Star Trek speaks to my heart. It moves my soul. When i go to a convention it like Trekker church for me. Its something to believe in and something to aspire to.

it is NOT jsut a story.

Sheesh, I had no idea people got so emotional over a tv/movie character.  This is, indeed, quite fascinating! :blink:

Maybe to some of us Trek is MORE than just a tv/movie franchise. We have invested a great deal of emotion into Trek and have "known" the TNG characters for over 15 years. I can't say that I have known many people that I'm not related to for that long. To be perfectly honest (and I mean no offense) but if you consider Trek to be just a tv/movie franchise and Data to be just a machine, then I feel sorry for you because you are missing out on a lot of what Trek is. Trek is not about starships, phasers and technobabble. It is about the hope of the future and relationships and about being the best person you can be.

Well, to me, Star Trek is just a tv/movie franchise, and to me, it is purely entertainment. While Data is a machine, I also see him as a fascinating character. No offense, but I don't think there's anything to miss out on, by seeing it as it is. It's a series of tv shows and movies, for entertainment purposes, and to make the viewers think. That's what Star Trek is to me. I guess it just depends on the individual and why they watch. Anywho, interresting view. CYA!

Exactly. It is about hope for the future, dreams of tomorrow and filled with characters that are rich in depth and emotion (yes, even Data) and moving to the spirit. Star Trek speaks to my heart. It moves my soul. When i go to a convention it like Trekker church for me. Its something to believe in and something to aspire to.

it is NOT jsut a story.

That's cool, but my source of "religion" if you will, comes from being a Christian and all, not a tv show, but to each their own. CYA! :)

I took it to be a very big loss when Data was killed in Nemesis. I felt like I had lost one of my best friends. To me Trek has never been just a Television show, the character have become a part of my life and the only link that I have to my deceased brother. After I saw the film I had to take a sick day from work the next day to recover. Data was my brother's favorite character and so he had a lot of special meaning to me and his death in Nemesis was like loosing one of the last true links that I had to my brother. So no, I am sorry Trek is more than a tv show/franchise it is a big part of my life and it always will be. The show restores my faith in humanity and in the possibility of our race finding a way to live in peace and to take care of the entire race not just those that have the same beliefs and thoughts that we have, and finding room to accept everyones views and beliefs, even if we don't agree with them, as being acceptable to that person and not looking down on them for having differing view points. I do not believe that any human has the right to judge another, and to me Trek protrays the life that I want to see for humanity.

As I have said I grieved for Data as I would for a member of my family, because to me he was a part of my family. But I am also consoled in the knowledge that Data will live on in the heart and memories of the people, such as myself, whose hearts and souls have been touched by him in the past 15 years.

wow....well i think it ws just a way to set up the sequel....data is not gone...he will be resurrected like spock.... i mean in all good things..we see that there is an old data..so we must assume that b4 becomes data or somethinfg of the sort

wow....well i think it ws just a way to set up the sequel....data is not gone...he will be resurrected like spock....  i mean in all good things..we see that there is an old data..so we must assume that b4 becomes data or somethinfg of the sort

I can only hope that you are correct. I would love to see Data come back, but I am not sure that they will do so.

I've always thought Riker said it best in The Most Toys

"For an android with no feelings, he sure invoked them in other."

True. Data invoked a great deal of feelings in others and so did the rest of the show.

CJLP, I take exception to your condescending comment about religion. Star Trek is not a religion for me. I know very well who and what God is. trek fits in with my belief system. It tries a lot harder to do the right thing than a lot of people i have known who call themselves Christians, but would not lift a finger to help their fellow man. I was making a comparison to the feeling one gets when one goes to church and the way I feel when I got to a convention. There is the same feeling of being here for a common reason. A feeling of community, fellowship. I get that feeling in church and at a convention. But I do not worship Trek. I just love it a whole hell of a lot!

True. Data invoked a great deal of feelings in others and so did the rest of the show.

CJLP, I take exception to your condescending comment about religion. Star Trek is not a religion for me. I know very well who and what God is. trek fits in with my belief system. It tries a lot harder to do the right thing than a lot of people i have known who call themselves Christians, but would not lift a finger to help their fellow man. I was making a comparison to the feeling one gets when one goes to church and the way I feel when I got to a convention. There is the same feeling of being here for a common reason. A feeling of community, fellowship. I get that feeling in church and at a convention. But I do not worship Trek. I just love it a whole hell of a lot!

My post was not intended to be condescending. It's when you said "Trekker Church" that lead me to believe that you might see Star Trek as a religion. Some people do, you know. That's just the image you were projecting, that's all. Besides, anything that you idolize can be interrpretted as worshipping.

I can relate to the way the Soong sisters feel about the death of Data. I went in to mourning at the end of The Wrath of Khan after Spock died. Spock is one of my favorite characters for the same reasons Data has so many fans. He is half Vulcan, and had difficulty "fitting in" with other Vulcans, as well as Humans. His friendship with James T Kirk brought out his human half, and he was not embarrassed to admit that he considered the captain his friend. The death scene between Kirk and Spock was so powerful I still cry when I watch the DVD, even though I know Spock is resurrected in the following movie.

My post was not intended to be condescending. It's when you said "Trekker Church" that lead me to believe that you might see Star Trek as a religion. Some people do, you know. That's just the image you were projecting, that's all. Besides, anything that you idolize can be interrpretted as worshipping.

IMHO the post did come across as being very condescending, but it is not my place to make judgements concerning other people's opinions.

I agree Lesssa about the sense of community at a Trek convention, I feel the same way. And IMO if someone were to choose to worship Trek as a religion, which I do not, it would be their right as an American and they should not be judged by others for making that choice.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Trek adds to my faith, it does not replace it.

Thank you Ddillard.  Its good to know someone understands.  :rolleyes:

I feel the same way. Trek gives me faith in the future, and that in time humanity will begin to embrace all ideas and the people that hold them. And that fits in perfectly with my religious beliefs as well.

I just don't get how you people get so attached to someone who isn't real. I agree, Star Trek and it's incarnations do effect people's lives, in one way or another. However, to morn over the loss of a character as if they were a family member? I don't understand this. Yes, I've gotten misty eyed when a character dies, but no tv/movie character's death could even compare to the death of any pet I've had. They aren't real, so why does it effect you guys so much? I'm not putting you down, I just really want to understand. It's quite fascinating.

Ddillard, I understand your perspective as evertime they kill off a character or something, you feel you loose your brother a little more. That makes perfect sense to be really upset about it.

Its a matter of being able to relate to a character. To see something of yourself of others that you love in these people on the screen. And there are times when they just come to life for you. That is the magic. Its like a dream- stepping out of your dreams and into your livingroom.

When you read a wonderful story in a book, are they just words on a page, or can you envision the events?

Imagination. Its a wonderful thing.

Data is just more to me than a character on a show. He has become someone i could count on to make me feel better if i felt lost at times. And one of the greatest things Data did for me....he helped me to find my sisters.

Eth di ownigh, Takara, Yillara, DSBS! :rolleyes: