Sign in to follow this  
Angela

Songs you can't listen to

I don't think there is any Rock anymore. It's all hip-hop or grunge or house or alternative or electronic or something else. Rock as a genre has become splintered.

I tend to agree, there's Pop music. But I don't think there's much if any Rock and like I said, "Rock n Roll" ended back in the early 60's.

VBG, so there hasn't been any rock and roll since the 60's? What have I been listening to all this time then?! :naughty:

Rock n Roll is a specific period from about 1956 to about 1961 or 1962. After that it's Rock. Some people still call it Rock n Roll but Rock n Roll was the late 50's. Elvis, Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, Little Richard, the Big Bopper, Fats Domino, Chuck Barry and the like. After that era it changed and became Rock. An offshoot of Rock n Roll but it had evolved by the early 60's and then morphed again.

To call the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith "Rock n Roll" would be like calling Britney Spears "Classic Rock".

I must respectfully disagree. Some classic rock is on par with Rock 'n' roll. CCR, Steppenwolf, BTO, Bob Seger all qualify.

And I don't know what Classic Rock station you're listening to, but ours plays a lot of Beatles, plus stuff from all four of the Beatles' solo careers.

For a while there, I couldn't listen to "Take Me Home" by Phil Collins.

I still can't stand that song.

I can't stand ANYTHING by Phil Collins......

VBG, so there hasn't been any rock and roll since the 60's? What have I been listening to all this time then?! :naughty:

Rock n Roll is a specific period from about 1956 to about 1961 or 1962. After that it's Rock. Some people still call it Rock n Roll but Rock n Roll was the late 50's. Elvis, Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, Little Richard, the Big Bopper, Fats Domino, Chuck Barry and the like. After that era it changed and became Rock. An offshoot of Rock n Roll but it had evolved by the early 60's and then morphed again.

To call the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith "Rock n Roll" would be like calling Britney Spears "Classic Rock".

I must respectfully disagree. Some classic rock is on par with Rock 'n' roll. CCR, Steppenwolf, BTO, Bob Seger all qualify.

And I don't know what Classic Rock station you're listening to, but ours plays a lot of Beatles, plus stuff from all four of the Beatles' solo careers.

It's not a matter of quality, Classic Rock is Rock it's just not "Rock n Roll". Rock n Roll was a period of music from around 1954 or 1955 to about 1960 or 1961. Then the genre changed into something different. Led Zeppelin didn't do the same kind of music as Bill Haley, Buddy Holley or Elvis. It's not that their music wasn't as good or had lower quality, it's just a different genre... or rather a morphed genre.

As for the Beatles... I just don't like them. It's my personal preference. On the other hand I liked Paul Paul McCartney and Wings. Never really liked Harrison's solo stuff, Starkey's (Ringo) solo stuff and there were only a couple of Lennon's solo songs that I thought were ok.

As a whole though, I just don't care for them.

It's not a matter of quality, Classic Rock is Rock it's just not "Rock n Roll". Rock n Roll was a period of music from around 1954 or 1955 to about 1960 or 1961. Then the genre changed into something different. Led Zeppelin didn't do the same kind of music as Bill Haley, Buddy Holley or Elvis. It's not that their music wasn't as good or had lower quality, it's just a different genre... or rather a morphed genre.

I'm not referring to quality either. Rock and roll continued through to the mid to late '70s. Elvis's 70's rockers like "Burning Love," "Promised Land," "T-R-O-U-B-L-E," and even "Way Down" are very much in keeping with the traditional 50's style of rock 'n' roll music. And I think you could say the say thing with a lot of Wings songs like "Helen Wheels," "Hi Hi Hi," and to a lesser extent "Girls' School." I'd also argue solo Ringo was quite rock 'n' roll, with his cover of "You're Sixteen," plus "Snookeroo," "Goodnight Vienna," and "Oh My My." Doo-wop pretty much died out in 1961, though there were one-hit wonders like the Devotions, the Earls, and the Duprees, and of course doo-wop revival group Sha-Na-Na, but doo-wop isn't synonymous with rock'n'roll. "Rock'n'Roll" is a little bit broader than just doo-wop.

As for the Beatles... I just don't like them. It's my personal preference. On the other hand I liked Paul Paul McCartney and Wings. Never really liked Harrison's solo stuff, Starkey's (Ringo) solo stuff and there were only a couple of Lennon's solo songs that I thought were ok.

As a whole though, I just don't care for them.

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. I've just never heard of a Classic Rock station that didn't play the Beatles, even if it is just the stuff from Sgt. Pepper's and later.

For a while there, I couldn't listen to "Take Me Home" by Phil Collins.

I still can't stand that song.

I can't stand ANYTHING by Phil Collins......

With one or two exceptions, this statement holds true for me as well.