Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

VCR & DVD hooked up to same tv

Someone gave me a DVD player for Christmas and I had to buy something called an RF modulator to hook it up to my old tv - and then I disconnected it because I need to have my VCR hooked up - because I always fall asleep in the middle of what I'm watching :(

Has anyone worked with an RF modulator - can I put the cable on a spliter and send one side to the RF modulator and the other to the VCR and hook them to a switch box. I did this with two VCR's but I don't know about this RF thing.

Maybe I need a second tv for my birthday B)

I've just done the same. Are you sure you needed an RF modulator, I just used a SCART lead to connect them all up.

You should be able to hook both the DVD and VCR together. I have mine set up that way.

Here's how I have it.

Hook the RCA cables to the DVD player to the "Video Out" and "Audio Out" then hook the other ends of the RCA Cables to the VCR's "Audio In" and "Video In" jacks.

Then hook the RF cable from the VCR to the TV like you would if the DVD player wasn't there.

For me, to watch the DVD player I turn both on and hit the "VCR/TV" button and it plays fine.

One problem you may have though is the copy protection on a lot of DVD's will cause the video to fade in and out when they are run through a VCR. Mine isn't a problem though because the VCR is about 20 years old.

Here's a pic of the cables on mine. The DVD is the one on the bottom.

pics_031.jpg

you should be OK about the fading video....it should only do it if there is a tape in the machine....

but it looks like VBG got the winner there - thats how mine is set up too!

Okay guys you don't do SCART system???

Damn. We have a scart system whereby all you need is a multi-SCART switch which changes application due to what ever being on and whatever is off. It is a lot simpler to use. I have had to set up my TV that way and my dads cable, video and TV that way also.

Yeah VBGs advice should do the trick for you.

You are so lucky to have so few items to connect; behind our system a great tangle of wires exist, I have no idea how I managed to set it all up.

Thanks for your help but I just couldn't get it to work that way.  Maybe they righ the new ones so they want work?  I did use a switch and the RF modulator and it works.

293217[/snapback]

Hey there, UH! I had a similar problem, as my TV only has a cable hook-up, not the three-way plug ins. So I bought a three-way switch with a built-in RF modulator from Target. Its made by GE ~~ sorry, I don't have a model number ~~ I have a VCR, DVD, and Playstation hooked up. All I need to do is set the TV to channel 3, then turn on whatever unit I choose. There is a front three-plug-in feature that is nice, too, for another game system or such. Sorry, no photos. Maybe for my birthday, I'll pick up an inexpensive one. :assimilated:

Spockstellaiter - you could but because copy prevention on the DVD player is standard, it will fade the video in and out making the copy on VHS very very poor.

Besides why would you want to downgrade from a digital disc (DVD) to a analogue tape?

The recording onto the DVD player is impossible unless you had a DVD recorder