Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Berkeley Breathed Must Be A Trekkie

We usually get the colour comics in Saturday's newspaper but with it being Christmas tomorrow they came in today's paper instead. Opus by Berkeley Breathed has a play on a very familiar Klingon saying in it.

You might recall from his earlier strip, Bloom County, that there were quite a few Trek references (a number of the characters would pretend to be Star Trek characters). Here's a refresher for you in case you don't. Check out the helmet:

Click For Spoiler

I've put it in a spoiler because it warps the board quite a bit from its size.

Yes. Foxtrot does the same. Many Star Trek, Jurassic Park, and Dungeon and Dragons references. Many people don't recognize Star Trek, but it is used in popular culture all the time especially to chracterize nerdiness and geeky idiosynchrasies especially on the Simpsons.

I love seeing Trek references in cartoons. Ever see that Disney show (actually, I think it was on Nickelodeon first), Doug? There was one character, who's name I can't remember, who wore a shirt that looked like a TOS uniform shirt.

Then there's Jason Alexander (George from Seinfeld). I didn't see the episode, but he appeared in the Voyager episode, Think Tank. He also had an animated series called Duckman, one episode of which was a huge Star Trek spoof, TOS style. The epsiode was called Where No Duckman Has Gone Before.

I was reading at st.com that Seth McFarlane, creator of The Family Guy, is going to be making another appearance on Enterprise.

BTW, AE the same article said there is going to be a Family Guy movie.

This is a FoxTrot strip that appeared last week:

Found another Bloom County example on the net:

Edited by Takara_Soong

One particular Sunday comic incident from a few years ago stands out in my mind (sorry I no longer have the picture). I was reading Foxtrot and it had just one frame. There were a bunch of snowmen that were put together wrong and one of the kids (I cannot remember who it was) was standing at a console made of snow. His speech bubble read, "Scotty! The transporter is malfunctioning again!" or something like that. I remember being confused at the time, having never seen Star Trek. Mom tried to explain it to me, but I still did not get it, and so I vowed that I would remember that comic and one day understand it (yes, I was weird even as a little kid). I kept that vow! LOL :assimilated:

I remember that one. It was hilarious!!

Foxtrot cartoonist Bill Amend is definitely a Trekkie. I found this quote at his website:

These have nothing to do with FoxTrot, but I find them amusing and it's my site so I can link to whatever I want. First up is the answer to the question, what happens when something cool like Star Trek meets something cool like Tolkien?

For some one to be nutty enough to make others laugh they have to be a little bit of a Star Trek fan. Without Star Trek we wouldn't have sayings like "I see your pahser is set on stuning" or the all loved "Is that a pahser in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" Star Trek added a bit of comedy needed to comics... something to make fun of.

Edited by Capt_Picard

Did anyone catch Valcan Salute in the Ice Age? :wow:

292517[/snapback]

Yes, I did.

:assimilated:

I was reading at st.com that Seth McFarlane, creator of The Family Guy, is going to be making another appearance on Enterprise.

BTW, AE the same article said there is going to be a Family Guy movie.

Cool, thanks TS! :yahoo: