Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Green Bay Packers...

VBG, if I recall correctly, said the Packers are still a threat. Now, being a Packers Guru, I will prove it. Alot of hype is made of Brett Favre, Certainly. But, what makes him such an effective Quarterback? it starts up front. Clifton, Rivera, Reugamer, Wahle and Tauscher. the Offensive Line, one of the best in the League. Brett Favre has been sacked less than 10 times this season, one of the lowest sack totals in the NFL. The O-line gives Favre time in the backfield to find the open man. And speaking of the Open man, He has excellent recievers. Bubba Franks, Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson, and the one Wide Out who is probably garuanteed a pro-bowl spot, Javon Walker. the Packers recieving corps is an excellent one, even if they are overshadowed by the Terrel Owens' of the league.

Then, of course, you have the Running game. Green Bay has 5 Running Backs. 3 of them are halfbacks: Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport and Tony Fisher. they also have 2 Full Backs: Billy Henderson and Nick Luchey. Any of these 5 backs are capable of carrying the ball or catching it out of the backfield, and in any game you are garuanteed to see all 5 of them. the Packers' Running and Passing games are also aided by a man by the name of Kevin Barry, #71. he's a Tackle who plays Tight End in sets refered to as "U-Bacon"the Packers have a lot of potent weapons capable of scoring from anywhere on the field.

The Packers defense is an improving group. the Front Four feature two guys who give Offensive coordinators headaches. Grady Jackson, a Defensive Tackle, and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamilla (KGB) a defensive end. Grady stops the run, while Kabeer provides so much quickness of the line that Outside linemen have trouble stopping him. their linebacking corps is a capable group, as well. and their secondary, while young, is steadily improving and is capable of making big plays. the two rookie corners, Joey Thomas and Ahmad Carrol forced a turnover for a touchdown against the Rams, and are capable of picking off passes anywhere. don't count this team out, even after getting whomped by the Eagles.

Well, I couldn't have said that any better. Are you sure you weren't born in Wisconsin? Every team has it's one stinker of a game every year, although I will have to admit that the Packers have had a couple more than their share this season, but here's hoping now that the Packers have gotten that out of their system. Even at 7-5, they are still considered by most experts around the league as the one team who has the best chance of knocking Philly off their perch. If the Pack win all of the December games, a month the team is actually built for, they finish at 11-5. Still a respectable record even if put up against the Eagles record. I also have to add two more factors into this equation. One is what I just mentioned. The Packers are a cold weather team. If the Packers have to go to Philadelphia in January, the weather certainly shouldn't bother them as it would Atlanta or any team from the west. There's no intimadation factor if the weather turns out to be cold and miserable. As I said, the Packers are built for outdoor cold weather games. The other factor is experience. All or most of the players that Mr. Phaserman has mentioned have been there since 2000 and they all know that Brett can still put together another hall of fame game. The experience a team receives from previous playoffs is a huge factors when teams have to suck it up to either go on or go home. Both teams, Philly and Green Bay, have the most playoff experienced players in the NFC this year. My question is, which team will have the most motivation to beat the other should they meet. Philly is trying to get over the hump that has stopped them the past three years as well as the past 44 years. Green Bay, from what I've read in the Wisconsim papers, has motivation to beat Philly no matter what. Getting embarrassed on national TV has a way of pumping up a team. And if there is any quarterback in the league that can direct a team to victory, it's Brett. I think both teams are actually pretty evenly matched in the talent department so I see a future possible payoff game as being, who has the most to prove. I do think Philly fans realize this and that the true threat of stopping the Eagles comes from Green Bay and not Atlanta. Atlanta just doesn't have enough horses yet to really challance for the title this year.

The Packers, the way I see it as a fan of an opposing team are the only legitimate threat in the NFC to the Eagles.

Fans shouldn't be mislead by the 47-17 score last week. While it was awesome for the Eagles and their fans, it wasn't the way a second game would go. I suspect a second game would be closer to last year's playoff game.

I'd hope it'd be a replay of last Sunday of course but I woudn't expect it. Though the Packers do have a big hole in their coverage but I think they can plug that hole with 4 or 5 weeks to go before they'd have to go to Philly again.

The Packers have a very good run defense and a very good pash rush, the run defense is the reason the Eagles threw the ball so much. It wasn't that they wanted to run the score up, it was 2 fold. 1 they couldn't run and they knew it and 2 they knew they would have to put big points up to prevent a comeback.

Honestly, my hope is that the Packers will play Atlanta or the Vikings in the Wildcard and lose. I don't say that because I don't like the Packers, but I don't want the Eagles to have to play them again.