Sign in to follow this  
Surax

what I think is wrong with Season 2

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Yes, season 2 did have some strong points. But I think the bad points out wieghed the good. Here is my rant about what I think is wrong with season two:

Click for Spoiler:

• Several episode have been copies of the old episode. Vanishing Point is a copy of Barcley's TNG episode. Judgement Day, which did have strong points, is a copy of The Undiscovered Country. The Crossing was a copy of I don't know how many episodes from all series. First Flight was okay but it was a copy (or homage, take your pick) of The Right Stuff.

• A Night in Sickbay could have been great. It was extremely disappointing.

• Minefield had plot holes left, right and center. There were enough for a thread.

• Trip is a good character but is my least favourite character. He had way too much air time. Plus that thing in the season finale shows that he ain't goin' any where any time soon.

• Hoshi's one episode (Vanishing Point) was bad. Mayweather's one episode was good. Phlox had a good episode last season but his episode this season (A Night In Sickbay) was exremely disappointing. My point is that my four favourite characters didn't recieve enough air time.

• Regeneration was just grrrrrrrrrr. I was throwing stuff at the tv until it stopped. No joke.

• The second half of the season was annoying. It was a string of episodes that either bad, copies, or featured my least favourite character.

Please don't get the impression that I think all of season 2 was bad. It just had many, many weaknesses. My solution to this is simple. HIRE NEW WRITERS!!!

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  Yes, season 2 did have some strong points.  But I think the bad points out wieghed the good.  Here is my rant about what I think is wrong with season two:

Click for Spoiler:

• Several episode have been copies of the old episode.  Vanishing Point is a copy of Barcley's TNG episode.  Judgement Day, which did have strong points, is a copy of The Undiscovered Country.  The Crossing was a copy of I don't know how many episodes from all series.  First Flight was okay but it was a copy (or homage, take your pick) of The Right Stuff.

• A Night in Sickbay could have been great.  It was extremely disappointing.

• Minefield had plot holes left, right and center.  There were enough for a thread.

• Trip is a good character but is my least favourite character.  He had way too much air time.  Plus that thing in the season finale shows that he ain't goin' any where any time soon.

• Hoshi's one episode (Vanishing Point) was bad.  Mayweather's one episode was good.  Phlox had a good episode last season but his episode this season (A Night In Sickbay) was exremely disappointing.  My point is that my four favourite characters didn't recieve enough air time.

• Regeneration was just grrrrrrrrrr.  I was throwing stuff at the tv until it stopped.  No joke.

• The second half of the season was annoying.  It was a string of episodes that either bad, copies, or featured my least favourite character.

Please don't get the impression that I think all of season 2 was bad.  It just had many, many weaknesses.  My solution to this is simple.  HIRE NEW WRITERS!!!

Click for Spoiler:

First off... "The Right Stuff"? What's that? Second off, does it matter if episodes parrallel with episodes from another series? It happens all the time, so to call them "ripp-offs" is a little overboard in my opinion. I do see your point, I just disagree. :)

Agreed, the Archer/T'Pol sexual feely stuff annoyed me, but I love the Archer/Phlox/Porthos story!

Plot holes? Care to give an example?

Trip's my fav character! I'm glad he got all that screen time. How come you don't like him?

What was so bad about "Vanishing Point"?

Hey, I loved "Regeneration"! What was so bad?

In conclusion, you call episodes bad or ripp-offs, but you didn't explain why. I'd like to see your insights. Care to share why you disliked season 2? B)

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  Yes, season 2 did have some strong points.  But I think the bad points out wieghed the good.  Here is my rant about what I think is wrong with season two:

Click for Spoiler:

• Several episode have been copies of the old episode.  Vanishing Point is a copy of Barcley's TNG episode.  Judgement Day, which did have strong points, is a copy of The Undiscovered Country.  The Crossing was a copy of I don't know how many episodes from all series.  First Flight was okay but it was a copy (or homage, take your pick) of The Right Stuff.

• Minefield had plot holes left, right and center.  There were enough for a thread.

• Trip is a good character but is my least favourite character.  He had way too much air time.  Plus that thing in the season finale shows that he ain't goin' any where any time soon.

• Hoshi's one episode (Vanishing Point) was bad.  Mayweather's one episode was good.  Phlox had a good episode last season but his episode this season (A Night In Sickbay) was exremely disappointing.  My point is that my four favourite characters didn't recieve enough air time.

• Regeneration was just grrrrrrrrrr.  I was throwing stuff at the tv until it stopped.  No joke.

• The second half of the season was annoying.  It was a string of episodes that either bad, copies, or featured my least favourite character.

Please don't get the impression that I think all of season 2 was bad.  It just had many, many weaknesses.  My solution to this is simple.  HIRE NEW WRITERS!!!

Funny, I was thinking Trip didn't have enough airtime - and they spent way too much time pushing the catsuit babe. I fast forward through all scenes with Hoshi (even the ones with Trip) so the less they show her the better. I like Mayweather but he needs acting lessons and I thought "The Breach" and "Stigma" gave Dr. Phlox some needed airtime. And his performance in "Bounty" was that pitiful episode's redeeming moment - the only other bright spot was Trip and Malcolm on the bridge.

Click for Spoiler:

Click for Spoiler:

First off... "The Right Stuff"? What's that? Second off, does it matter if episodes parrallel with episodes from another series? It happens all the time, so to call them "ripp-offs" is a little overboard in my opinion. I do see your point, I just disagree. :)

Agreed, the Archer/T'Pol sexual feely stuff annoyed me, but I love the Archer/Phlox/Porthos story!

Plot holes? Care to give an example?

Trip's my fav character! I'm glad he got all that screen time. How come you don't like him?

What was so bad about "Vanishing Point"?

Hey, I loved "Regeneration"! What was so bad?

In conclusion, you call episodes bad or ripp-offs, but you didn't explain why. I'd like to see your insights. Care to share why you disliked season 2? B)

The Right stuff is about Chuck Yeager Braking the sound barrier in the X-1

The X-1 and the NX-A from First Flight look very similar and I think that was a Homage

I think its odd that people see an episode and say its a rip off of another series or movie,I did not see one episode of Enterprise this season that reminded me of any of the example you gave.

The only thing in common with "Judgement" and "Undiscovered Country" is there is a Klingon Trial,thats it,nothing else in that episode even came close to resembling the film.They are two completely different story lines.

"Regeneration" was one of the best episodes this season,I don't understand why you have a problem with it.

The 2nd half of the season we start to see better and better episodes,each one getting better as they were shown.

I am looking forward to the next 5 seasons of Enterprise,it is just as good as TOS,TNG,DS9,and Voyager!

I fast forward through all scenes with Hoshi (even the ones with Trip) so the less they show her the better.

Click for Spoiler:

Hoshi's gonna be featured heavilly next season, sorry! :)

They're planning to develop her character - less whine and show her more than they did this season but that is not the same as featured heavily. It's pretty common knowledge that Trip is the favorite of Enterprise fans and they won't be hiding him away.

More Trip and Hoshi. :) More Trip and Hoshi tangled up in the tinsel. :devil:

Works for me. Yes, season two had some really god awful duds: A Night in Sickbay, Marauders, and Bounty being the most egregrious. The A story in Bounty was fine but watching Jolene's T'Pol being filmed as if she were an animal physically disgusted me.

All I can say about season 2 is, it's highs were high, it's lows sucked, but it was still a time for developing the characters and looking back though the episode may not have been great it went a long way to making the characters more real, and let us see their personalities. So with most of them having their own "A-Story" episode season 3 should bring more real Trek episodes. Season 1 was good, season 2 was great, so season 3 can be better.

I really liked season 2, it was much better then the first. What I like most about Enterprise is the character development, which I think is the better then any series of Trek yet to be shown. I think they need a bit more Trek episodes, and ep. that will further the timeline.. I would love to see the beginning of the Federation..

I agree that Hooshi is a irritating and whiny character, and I hope that they can improve her in the next season so I don't have to "restrain myself from knockin' her on her *buttocks*" B)

:)

Click for Spoiler:

I mentioned that Minefield had plot holes. These are my main problems with it. Romulans were once Vulcans and their languages must be recognizably similar. Hoshi should have picked that up. It makes no sense to mine a system if you aren't going to use it. There certainly wasn't anything on the planet. It's a waste of resources. Why didn't the Romulans mark their territory? It seems a bit unfair to expect everyone to know where your space is and to avoid it. Why did the captain go out to save Malcolm? The ship must have several crewmen who are more experienced at disarming mines.

It's not that I don't like Trip, I just like all the other characters more. He was certainly overused. His episodes this season were Precious Cargo, Dawn, Canamar (although this ones debatable), The Crossing (same as Canamar) and Cogenitor. This may not seem like a lot but it is if most of the other characters don't even get half this time.

Vanishing Point was bad because, if you think about it, nothing happened. It's a transport gone bad. The majority of the episode happens in the period of five seconds. Hoshi overcomes a fear of transporters, which she has every right to be afraid of since they are potentially deadly. She would have overcome them eventually.

Regeneration was bad because the Borg shouldn't be introduced until Picard time. You'd think that during or shortly after their encounter with the Borg in TNG, someone would realize that Archer had fought them. Yet by their second encounter with the Borg, the Federation was hardly prepared for them.

I hate rip-offs because there is so much potential for new and exciting episodes. They shouldn't have to take ideas from other sources.

I hope this clears some of the stuff up.

Going out on a limb here but there is a non-canon explanation for why so many things were forgotten about between TOS and TNG. The answers can be found in TOS paperback book #42 Memory Prime. Memory Prime was a place where ALL of the records for the past hundreds of years (Not sure the EXACT timeframe of memory storage, it has been 20 years since I read it.) but the bottom line was that due to events I will not divulge the details of here, all was lost. So depending on your level of fandom, answers can be found.

It does not clear anything up for me. Picard was not the first human to meet the Borg,thats a fact, because 11 years before Picard every saw them the Hanson's went looking for them.How did some scientist from Starfleet know about the Borg before Picard? Maybe some old Starfleet files made 200 years ago talking about cyber-enhanced beings that were found on earth?Also the name Borg was never mentioned so Starfleet has no idea who those beings are. Who knows,but the fact is Picard was not the first to see the Borg so that argument doesn't hold any water for me.

The Romulins have always been an arrogent race,they sieze planets and put up a minefield to keep people out,makes alot of sense to me.

We will have to agree to dis-agree,because I totally dis-agree with everything you said.

According to st.com Starfleet and the Hansons received vague reports of the cube from El-Aurian survivors.

I think its odd that people see an episode and say its a rip off of another series or movie,I did not see one episode of Enterprise this season that reminded me of any of the example you gave.

The only thing in common with "Judgement" and "Undiscovered Country" is there is a Klingon Trial,thats it,nothing else in that episode even came close to resembling the film.They are two completely different story lines.

Not the only thing in common. There's also the fact that Archer got sent to Rura Pente, that he was falsely accused. And that his shipmates illegally rescued him. I personally think the episode deserved a two parter. If you're going to visit Rura Pente, why only do it for five minutes?

As for season 2, I thought it started weakly (I thought Shockwave Pt. 2 was a bit of a letdown after waiting so long), but by the end it was better than a lot of the first season.

It does not clear anything up for me. Picard was not the first human to meet the Borg,thats a fact, because 11 years before Picard every saw them the Hanson's went looking for them.How did some scientist from Starfleet know about the Borg before Picard? Maybe some old Starfleet files made 200 years ago talking about cyber-enhanced beings that were found on earth?Also the name Borg was never mentioned so Starfleet has no idea who those beings are.  Who knows,but the fact is Picard was not the first to see the Borg so that argument doesn't hold any water for me.

The Romulins have always been an arrogent race,they sieze planets and put up a minefield to keep people out,makes alot of sense to me.

We will have to agree to dis-agree,because I totally dis-agree with everything you said.

HERE, HERE. i have to agree with you about that. now fandom aside, and really enjoying getting into trek, you've really got to get over it. it is a show, a show that is for entertainment, enjoy it for what it is. i must say i enjoy a lot of the first contacts with aliens we already know, it gives us more insight into how we got to know them, and how the relationship came along. for example this whole thing with the klingons is perfect for showing how starfleet, and the klingons became such bitter enemies for such a long time. its insight into the past. enjoy it, and dont think too hard about it so you can knock it.

ITS A HIGHLY ENTERTAINING SHOW, THAT INVOKES THOUGHT INTO THE STARTREK UNIVERSE AS WELL.

I agree, the show is great but there are a few problems.

What's up with Capt.Archer getting kidnapped ALL the time?

What's up with T'Pol stripping ALL the time?

Someone please tell me. Because they seem to do a lot of this in the show.

It never fails. The captain seems to affend many species whereas the vulcan science officer gets over emotional at the weirdest of times.

If you want to see a Star Trek show where the captain gets captured alot watch TOS,Capt Kirk was always getting captured and rescued by the crew.

As for T'Pol running around in her underwear,it seems everyone one the show has run around that ship in their underwear and even less!It doesn't bother me but then again I'm a nudist and seeing skin is just not that exciting to me.

If you want to see a Star Trek show where the captain gets captured alot watch TOS,Capt Kirk was always getting captured and rescued by the crew.

As for T'Pol running around in her underwear,it seems everyone one the show has run around that ship in their underwear and even less!It doesn't bother me but then again I'm a nudist and seeing skin is just not that exciting to me.

I have to agree, IMHO the episodes where we see emergencies happening and people running to their posts still closing up their uniforms up were a little more real to me. I think everyone needs to understand that things happen all the time, and all the crew are not necessarily going to be in complete uniform when things happen. I do not really think to much about how crew members are dressed, it is the scene that counts. I mean how many times did we see Picard or other members of the crew showing up on the bridge in outfits from the holodeck.

Click for Spoiler:

I had to say it, but I have to disagree with you on almost every point. With the exception that I do agree that 'A Night in Sickbay' was a let down. In fact it was my least favorite episode all season.

I didn't see Judgement as being a rip off of The Undiscoverd Country. In fact I thought it was neat to see the same court room again. It was a Klingon Trial so of course there would be some similerities, but the over all story was completly different.

I loved Regineration, in fact I thought it was one of the best episodes to date! I know that a lot of people seem to think that history shows Picard as the first human to meet the Borg, however history says nothing about a group of people from the future helping Cochrane fix his ship after it had been damaged by a group of cyborgs. IMO First Contact messed up the time line and Enterprise simply made the best of it. Also they did a good job of never saying the name Borg so what exactly would that information be filed under? I doubt any 2 hundred years later would be thinking "oh the Borg, aren't they that race that we found 200 years ago that we really never knew anything about!"

Also I think that season 2 started getting really good durring the second half of the year. And Trip is probably my favorite character.