Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

New characters

Could the Next Generation have benefited from the addition of new characters along the way? Do you think that any of the series could have? What I mean is, why do the cast always have to remain within the same nucleated group of characters? I liked the episode Chain of Command when we saw change on the Enterprise and the approach of a different Captain. Pity that couldnt have lasted a while longer. Im not going to go into it too much but I liked the way Babylon 5 kept it real with new characters being added and removed and added etc etc. It perked up relations and gave some more new character based storylines and mystery. By Season 7 of TNG there wasnt much left to learn from them and no real intrigue.

I think that was one of the reasons Ro was brought in during season 5, to spark things up a little. For me TNG was so much about the relationships built amongst the main characters that to have main characters transfer in and transfer out would have taken away from the series. I agree that one of the reasons Chain of Command Part 1&2 were such exceptional episodes was having the dynamic of a new captain onboard who was so different from Picard. In some ways BOBW did that too when Shelby was named first officer when Picard was Locutus (I really didn't like Shelby).

True, there was no real mystery by the end of Star Trek:TNG. By this time the writers had covered everything that they thought possible. Maybe, if they added new species both good and bad the series may have lasted another season. Therefore, ST:DS9 wouldn't have been released too early. Don't get me wrong,I liked DS9 but it was released too soon just like ST:VOY. Overall,ST:TNG was a wonderful show. I loved the characters especially, Data. :angry: He will be soley missed. :martok:

I LOVE STAR TREK

ALL SHOWS

SOME MORE THAN OTHERS

:P

I think that was one of the reasons Ro was brought in during season 5, to spark things up a little.  For me TNG was so much about the relationships built amongst the main characters that to have main characters transfer in and transfer out would have taken away from the series.  I agree that one of the reasons Chain of Command Part 1&2 were such exceptional episodes was having the dynamic of a new captain onboard who was so different from Picard.  In some ways BOBW did that too when Shelby was named first officer when Picard was Locutus (I really didn't like Shelby).

I thought Shelby was a spoiled little brat. I did not like her at all. She was more concerned with advancing her career than doing what was best for the crew.

Thank God for Roe! she was gorgeous..but turned into a plot device and that was too bad..No I think the TNG crew was strong enough without the addition of any new characters..and good riddance to Pulaski.

Thank God for Roe! she was gorgeous..but turned into a plot device and that was too bad..No I think the TNG crew was strong enough without the addition of any new characters..and good riddance to Pulaski.

I always wanted to push Pulaski out an airlock.

For me TNG was so much about the relationships built amongst the main characters that to have main characters transfer in and transfer out would have taken away from the series.

I totally agree, it's okey to add one or two characters, but to have them transfer in and out would destroy that great TNG feeling...

I'm with you. She was stupid, ugly, mean, and her bedside manner left something to be desired.

You would be surprised how many people preferred Kate Pulaski to Beverly Crusher. Personally I liked Pulaski. She got off to a bumpy start but by the end of the season had established herself as a good character. I missed her.

I liked Kate too. SHe added some friction and by stiring things up, made things interesting. She challenged people and a certain beloved android.

Shelby...ick. Ro was cool. I really liked her and her relationship with Guinan. Now, that was interesting.

You would be surprised how many people preferred Kate Pulaski to Beverly Crusher.  Personally I liked Pulaski.  She got off to a bumpy start but by the end of the season had established herself as a good character.  I missed her.

That's where I disagree. Not only is Beverly prettier, she doesn't look like my gym teacher. Pulaski on the other hand...*shudders*

Stardate:213425.9

I hated Pulaski as well.Especially they way she always dissed Data :) .I wanted Data to just pull out a phaser and vaporize her.

Stardate:213425.9

I hated Pulaski as well.Especially they way she always dissed Data :) .I wanted Data to just pull out a phaser and vaporize her.

yea man..imgaine that! Court hearing after court hearing!

Pulaski *shivers*

I didn't like her, but, doesn't mean I didn't like her in the show.

And yes, she was bumpy on Data, but it showed us how much we liked him ;-)

However, I prefered Bev as a CMO. She has more potential.. I mean, do you imagine Pulaski go on a party with Picard and Worf on a planet in Cordassian space doing climbing?

Ro was great! It was a good idea to ad her, and the Maquis was something great too.

But I agree..... A little more mouvement would have bring new dynamics to the serie at the end.

I think the show went just fine but i will have to agree with some of the other posts that Ro just became a plot device but if you read the DS9 books based after the show ends she becomes the new constible while Odo goes home and Shelby was not that good in the best of both worlds but she is great in the New Frontier books.