Sign in to follow this  
MoulinRouge

[S] "The Expanse" PRE/POST THREAD

Well I've thought for a while about the ep, now. I don't know that it was all that great, I don't know that it was all that bad either.

Click for Spoiler:

Problems.

1: The Vulcans seem distinctly emotional. Especially T'pol. I thought the whole bit in Archer's Cabin was a little bit of a stretch for her character. The whole implied thing of "I like humans more than Vulcans, I want to stay." Still, she does respect Archer, and recognizes that he needs a steadying hand, so I will overlook her seeming lapse in character.

2: Trip's reaction to his sister's death didn't seem real to me. It was great as he looked on the gray crater that all his memories disappeared into. But later he seemed forced. Yes, I know it's nitpicking. It's just that I usually am completely sold on Connor's acting.

3: Well, there wasn't much actual story to this episode. Cap'n Picard picked up on this a bit ago when he asked if there was a "to be continued" bit at the end. The point is that this was basically just an episode to get the characters from point A to point B. Duras was added to make it exciting. Now that's not to say that A to B storylines never work, but they do work a lot better when they have more of a cliffhanger at the end. The ending of the Enterprise sailing into the Delphic expanse didn't really have that much emotional impact to me.

Things I liked.

1: The shadow guy telling Archer about the Xindi (and Silik not being that happy about it). A nice ironic touch.

2: The scene with Malcolm and Trip looking at the swath of destruction.

3: The Duras storyline (aah, continuity).

4: The bit about the negative quantum dating amused me.

5: The Doctor and his snow slugs.

Altogether, I give it a 7 out of 10.

I think this season final was just ok. It was not great and it was not bad. It just seemed “ok” to me. I think the episode had the potential to be much greater and to result in a much better episode, but I don’t think its potential was used. I think it has a good concept and idea, but the focus on the episode and certain scenes did not seem to expand on this episode. The series needs to be more intelligent. I read a few reviews and again TrekNation seemed to hit it at the spot at the last paragraph. (However I did not agree with some of the things stated in the whole review)

I believe that sci-fi fans are better educated and more interested in ideas than the people who watch reality TV. For this show to succeed, it needs to be intelligent and expansive in scope. That's all I ask.

And that’s something that I was thinking about. I like shows that have this intelligence to it. The shows that I enjoy must are ones that have ‘intelligence’ and this episode to me just seemed somewhat typical. I wish they expanded on the human factor. I don’t know all I really wanted to see was more intelligence to it. That really it! When I watched it, it just seemed like the same old stuff.

Another review

"The trouble has been weak casting...and bad writing," Bianco wrote in the Critics Corner column. "And to judge from the finale, which forces one character to make a clumsy leap from grief to anger, the writing problem is far from resolved."

Well I’m not completely sure about the weak casting. I think the casting is fine (for the most part), but I do agree with the fact that this writing problem that ENT has is “far from resolved”.

And yet another review

"Enterprise is about to blandly go where no show has gone before," wrote Friedman. "The episode promises a new plot line and loads of computer-generated pyrotechnics next season, but the show's usual hokey writing and uneasy acting clearly haven't changed a bit."

Same thing as the last the WRITING needs to be improved.

For me this just gets episode just gets a 7.5/10

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Click for Spoiler:

My favorite scene in the whole episode was Phlox telling off that Vulcan.

I'm really starting to like Phlox a lot.

But don't you think the Vulcan's are showing quite a bit of emotion. I even felt a few were bordering on angry. Hmmm

Click for Spoiler:

OH, they mentioned added on military crew but I do not remember seeing any new people. Well, I hope they bring them in witht he next show. I wonder if they'll be wearing red shirts. Ha ha ha

:)