Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Character Spotlight: Worf

This character started out in existence mainly as a background character on the bridge. He was, however ,to become one of the most developed characters in Star Trek history.

Click for Spoiler:

We find out that Worf was the son of a Klingon called Mogh. Mogh and his wife left Ko'nos to visit the Khitomer outpost when it was attacked by Romulans. They both died leaving Worf and a son Kurn, back home. The orphaned Klingon was rescued by a Starfleet crewman Sergey Rozhenko and was raised by him and his wife Helena on Earth. Worf was a somewhat troubled child and was known to have hurt other children in sports. He joined Star Fleet and was later assigned to the Enterprise as a bridge officer and then as tactical officer, after the death of Tasha Yar. He bravely accepted disgrace on the part of his father's house in the Klingon Empire as this was to prevent civil war in the Klingon Empire. The Klingon Duras had betrayed the Empire to the Romulans and Worf's family was made a scape goat to prevent this. Soon after this, honour was restored on Worf but was short lived when the Empire went to war with the Federation for a period. Worf was later to discover that his real father had not really died and had lived in a Romulan prison camp for a while. Worf had a mate K'Ehleyr who was to bear them a child, Alexander, before she was killed by Duras. Worf killed Duras in a Klingon right of vengeance. He was later to date Deanna Troy. Worf moved to Deep Space Nine as a liason between the Klingon Empire and the Federation in the light of the forth-coming Dominion War. Here he became a Strategic Operations Officer. He served partly along with the Klingon Fleet at this time after their hostilities with the Federation came to an end and joined the house of Martok. He also married Jadzia Dax who was to be subsequently killed. He killed the Klingon leader Gowron after he questioned his ability to lead and gave the title of Chancellor to Martok. He was to leave DS9 to become a Klingon ambassador but returned to the Enterprise E, after having joining that ship's crew on a few missions while still at DS9, as a bridge officer.

Yes, you are correct, Worf did start out as a background character but he soon evolved into a worthy friend and Officer. Back in the beginning, many of Starfleet's officers did not trust or ever want to be in the presence of a Klingon. Worf changed all that. Many of the Enterprise D crew could see that he was trustworthy and therefore worthy of their friendship and respect. :innocent::laugh:;)

I think it was one of the best moves that they have made by bringing Worf to the forefront. He was an extremely great character.

I love Worf, he was a sweetie underneath that herd exterior. I once said that he was "a big Klingon teddy bear". I was right too!!

I think your timeline is a bit wacked. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be in chronilogical order but are you refering to the war between the Klingons and the Federation that took place around the time of the Enterprise C? I also heard there was a subsequent war that takes place after TNG and DS9 ended.

I liked Worf. He added a lot to the show. I never really thought of him as background in the beginning. He was, to me anyway, like the rest of the characters, sort of blank canvas. And as the show progressed, we got to see a little more, and then a little more still "paint" on the canvas. He was definitely one of my favorites from the beginning. I am sort of partial to Klingons anyway.

I think your timeline is a bit wacked. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be in chronilogical order but are you refering to the war between the Klingons and the Federation that took place around the time of the Enterprise C? I also heard there was a subsequent war that takes place after TNG and DS9 ended.

the war between the klingons and the federation never happened if your referring to episode yesterdays enterprise..it was an alternate timeline... after TNG, there was a brief period where the khitomer accords were dissolved...but the klingon empire never officially declared war on the federation...they were just a little bitter about the federation not helping the klingons fight the dominion...but regardless...the klingons , romlulans, and federation eventually went to war against the dominion, breen and cardassians