Sign in to follow this  
cassidy

alien languages

on alien planets (by that i mean :laugh::innocent: ) do they have different languages in different areas? because on earth we have, what, 200 or so different languages (its just a guess, probably wrong) so why dont other planets seem to have more than one language?

I can't seem to remember anything that suggests that others only have one language.. The UT solves that problem..

Could be that they have it like here on earth, most people learn English..

In the ENT episode Civilization Hoshi specifically mentioned there were several languages on the planet. However, in general it has always bothered me that ST planets have a homogenized culture, language, etc. Klingons, Vulcans, Romulans basically the whole planet(s) is(are) unified

Most evolved races seem to be very unified.. At least the ones with Warp technology.. But there have been many examples of factions that are rebelling..

I think it's great that the UT isn't very evolved in Enterprise, so we can see the language problem too, I think it makes everything a lot more realistic and interesting..

im sure theres different languages on the different planets, but between the ut, and the fact that your dealing with a certain part of whatever planet, it seems to only have one language, but im sure thats not the case.

I think it's great that the UT isn't very evolved in Enterprise, so we can see the language problem too, I think it makes everything a lot more realistic and interesting..

I loved when Hoshi was called upon to decipher what the Klingon in Sickbay was saying. It was hilarious when she said what she thought he was saying...I don't remember which episode, it may have been in the pilot, but I remember it being very funny!

I believe that there are many languages associated with a particular race, and then of course as many of us learn English...I am sure they have a particular language that they learn so they can better converse with others from their worlds. Then the UT helps out and makes it so they all seem to speak English.

on alien planets (by that i mean  :martok:  :angry: ) do they have different languages in different areas? because on earth we have, what, 200 or so different languages (its just a guess, probably wrong) so why dont other planets seem to have more than one language?

Thats a good question. I hope so! Maybe this far in the future, everywhere has an international language (like English is supposed to be on Earth). I have heard it mentioned that different areas speak in different accents, though...