Sign in to follow this  
cassidy

Oh NO!

Something I really hate about going to a private school is the amount of tests and assignments. At any one time we have about 2 assignments and 3 tests to study for. It's really poor coordination because the teachers never seem to realise our workload. I really think they should do something about it

Something I really hate about going to a private school is the amount of tests and assignments. At any one time we have about 2 assignments and 3 tests to study for. It's really poor coordination because the teachers never seem to realise our workload. I really think they should do something about it

I totally agree! They never talk to each other about when they're going to have a test, so they all plan it the same day, and then put big projects on top of that! I mean, I love my school and my teachers, and my friends, but to go back ot the topic of homeschooling, I don't think its a bad idea. If I could I would want to do it, maybe not for all of my school years, because I might miss my friends, but it does sound like a really good program.

For you California residents. I thought they were trying to pass a law there that only certified teachers could homeschool. I think that is outrageous but clearly a political ploy.

I look at this all from a different perspective. I do not have children but I am working on my teaching certificate. While it's something I always wanted I am not sure I want to work in the public school system. (Even though I don't have children I have some great nieces and nephews that I worry about).

If I had children and couldn't afford private schools I would homeschool and look for other homeschoolers to share activites with.

I don't know what it will take before TPTB realize we need some major reform in our education system. I could really go on about this topic.

I'm homeschooled have been since the second grade.. As far as friends I don't have lots of friends but enough.. I do a community choir, awana and church where I have friends.. This coming school year I will be taking 2 classes at a local small school... And will probably be going to a private school for High School..

The only real problem with homeschooling for me is I have to spend the day with my mom and brother :rolleyes:

I teach children ranging in ages from 1 1/2 - about 13, and they come from all types of school backgrounds....They all are wonderful(a few are regular pains in everyone's sides, but there are always one or two). I have found that the majority or my private school students and/or homeschoolers are easily brought in to the social circles of the public school kids. I am always being cautioned by new gym parents that "my child is homeschooled/goes to a private school, so if he/she does not want to join in with the crowd that is why", or "if my child refuses to join a group for an activity it is because they are homeschooled and they are used to being by themselves. They are not used to having to be around other kids". A couple parents seemed a little upset that I brushed their comments off, but they soon changed their minds because all I told their children was.."You can go play on the floor, and meet the other kids if you'd like" Next thing you know, they have a game of tag in progress or are all sitting and talking in a fort they made from the spotting blocks...so much for the homeschool/private school kids being isolated huh?

there are good and bad points to being homeschooled, and i think it all evens out. the main thing is if u want to concentrate on your education (on a particular area, most likely) or if you want to have a balance, also with social interaction. i guess its a choice everyone must make, but it is difficult for parents to homeschool if they work full time. i would say that going to a school is probably easier on the family, but that's just my opinion.

It's a big private school - about 1000 students, plus more in the junior school

whoa really? The one I go to goes from 6th to 12th, and i think we have about 275.

I teach children ranging in ages from 1 1/2 - about 13, and they come from all types of school backgrounds....They all are wonderful(a few are regular pains in everyone's sides, but there are always one or two). I have found that the majority or my private school students and/or homeschoolers are easily brought in to the social circles of the public school kids. I am always being cautioned by new gym parents that "my child is homeschooled/goes to a private school, so if he/she does not want to join in with the crowd that is why", or "if my child refuses to join a group for an activity it is because they are homeschooled and they are used to being by themselves. They are not used to having to be around other kids". A couple parents seemed a little upset that I brushed their comments off, but they soon changed their minds because all I told their children was.."You can go play on the floor, and meet the other kids if you'd like" Next thing you know, they have a game of tag in progress or are all sitting and talking in a fort they made from the spotting blocks...so much for the homeschool/private school kids being isolated huh?

yeah, I agree with you, I don't think just because you've been homeschoold or go to a private school that you wouldn't be able to socialize with other kids. Even though my school is small, i have a lot of friends. Because its so small, you become friends with basically everyone who goes there, and even if I wasn't, I still think I would be able to be able to make the transfer from private to public, with out much trouble. I also already know almost half the kids from my home town who go to public school anyway, so it might be easier for me than most, but i still think it wouldn't be as hard as most epople think to adapt.