Sign in to follow this  
cassidy

Oh NO!

Oh yuck! bedlam.gif Good luck!!

I totally forgot about the time difference. I was trying to figure out why you would have a math test at almost 9:00 at night. 1042284708.gif

Oh yuck! bedlam.gif Good luck!!

I totally forgot about the time difference. I was trying to figure out why you would have a math test at almost 9:00 at night. 1042284708.gif

lol, me too...I'd be scratching my head now if I hadn't read your post :laugh:

Good luck!!

Hey good luck! :laugh: What am I saying, i already know you did the test and you said it was a easy as apple pie :laugh: i'm sure you are going to get a fabulous mark!! :laugh::laugh:

lol and you were worried...GJ btw i probably bombed my final in differential calculus...cant really picture 3d surface and curves too well

I'm now really worried cos i had another test today - ANOTHER french one :martok: - and i didnt do too well. Oh well, I'm giving up my languages next year

good news the test was dead easy. it was on index notation and completely bubby. i think i did really well!

cassidy, you sound like me, i'm always so woried and panicking before tests, but then i actually do really well. You sure have a lot of tests though! good luck on your next one if you have one. I usually have a lot of tests too actually, but we only have two days left of classes, and then exams, so there haven't really been any tests. we should start a little subsection of off topic discussion for you and i to post our up-comming tests, lol

I have HEAPS of tests at my school :) I have no idea why, though. AND heaps of assignments too. I just finished a SOSE one on the renaissance which i got an A for B) YIPPEE! And on Wednesday I'm handing in a music assignment which took me a whole 15 hours to complete :bow: how much does that suck!

Yes it does suck and here is more..

Pardon the rant but I have about had it with the education system

1. In Ca. we had the Ca. Lottery shoved down or throats on promises of how much the schools would benefit from revenue gathered from the sale of every ticket, meanwhile the news is filled with stories of budget cuts.

2. They send projects home, which, as so far beyond the motor skills of my child all she can do is stand and watch as I do them.

3. At the bus stops I witness kids already on the bus jumping around like savages, if I ask the driver if, for the safety of my daughter he could try to better control the group, I later get a phone call from the principal of the school telling me I must not voice my concerns or pick on the driver.

Where has sanity gone?

I live in California, too, Alterego. Have you ever considered homeschooling? I went so far as to pull my youngest daughter out of school for a year because of the rigid system in place in most of our public schools. Oh, and don't get me started about bus drivers. I finally started driving my kids myself because the bus driver kept forgetting her route. One time, my daughter had to remind her because she had totally missed her stop!

During our year of homeschooling, my daughter flourished, she won first place in the Science Fair, caught up in Math (the only subject she really struggles in), and was able to pursue her outside interests without the severe time constraints that going to school put on her. She's in high school now and we're still struggling with the time issue and even considering her doing some sort of online school in the future, but that remains to be seen.

I totally agree with you about the CA school system. There is a great deal of room for improvement.

I do have the time so I have no excuse not to consider home school as an option, I just don’t know where and how to get started. Are there any major requirements I need to meet to qualify to be her home schoolteacher?

On the first day of this school year the driver tried to make her get off 5 blocks from here. She knew she was not at the correct stop and was amazingly bold and fearless about the situation and flatly refused to get off the bus causing the driver to need to phone it in to transportation but he did not do that until he had driven all the back to the bus storage yards. All told it took 1 hour for me to find out what had happened and another hour for her to be safely delivered home.

I don't mean to be bold in asking Alterego, but is your daughter a special needs child. I was just wondering when you made mention of the motor skills. My daughter is autistic.

Cassidy, I hope you did well on your test ... Alterego, although I live in Canada, the story sounds the same - an education system over-run by the economy, and teachers (umm, parents? anyone?) over-run by students - FYI (at least here) there are no requirements for home teaching, it's a parent's right - our societies may be similar enough ... contact your local school board (or whatever) for a copy of the curriculim, and ask there for information regarding parents who teach at home - there are A LOT of groups out there to support you!!! There is no social system, educational, health, or otherwise, that will survive a govenment's single minded slaughter through the pursuit of gain - our societies value 'money' above all else, and I think it sucks - you can't breathe money, eat it, or wipe your *buttocks* with it - why is it more important than EVERYTHING, hunh?!?

I don't mean to be bold in asking Alterego, but is your daughter a special needs child.  I was just wondering when you made mention of the motor skills.  My daughter is autistic.

I'm sorry to hear that but No that is not what I meant, I meant their asking her to do projects which she simply has not developed the motor skills to do.

Cassidy, I hope you did well on your test ... Alterego, although I live in Canada, the story sounds the same - an education system over-run by the economy, and teachers (umm, parents? anyone?) over-run by students - FYI (at least here) there are no requirements for home teaching, it's a parent's right - our societies may be similar enough ... contact your local school board (or whatever) for a copy of the curriculim, and ask there for information regarding parents who teach at home - there are A LOT of groups out there to support you!!!  There is no social system, educational, health, or otherwise, that will survive a govenment's single minded slaughter through the pursuit of gain - our societies value 'money' above all else, and I think it sucks - you can't breathe money, eat it, or wipe your *buttocks* with it - why is it more important than EVERYTHING, hunh?!?

Thanks for the information, that sounds like the place to start. I wish I had a good answer to your question.

The home schooling program in the San Diego area is awesome. I was home schooled in San Diego. If you want me to I could probably get the phone numbers you need. Let me know.

Perhaps it is just me what do you all think; should a forth-grader have the skills in place to build a scale model of the San Gabriel Mission?

I would appreciate the phone #’s if you have them handy RickerChick, I will discuss it with the family but I am afraid, in my wife’s opinion, the stumbling block is going to be the lack of social involvement of home schooling.

Perhaps it is just me what do you all think; should a forth-grader have the skills in place to build a scale model of the San Gabriel Mission?

I would appreciate the phone #’s if you have them handy RickerChick, I will discuss it with the family but I am afraid, in my wife’s opinion, the stumbling block is going to be the lack of social involvement of home schooling.

They've been making every kid in San Diego do the San Gabriel Mission model for years. My mom basically made my sisters. I'll see if I can find the phone numbers. I do understand the social involvement thing. I really missed that part of school honestly.

I'm not in San Diego anymore, but when I homeschooled, I got involved with a group of parents who also homeschooled. They organized field trips, swimming lessons, gymnastics lessons and had parties on holidays. There were plenty of opportunities for the kids to interact. I really didn't find the social interaction thing a problem. The kids that were being homeschooled were the type of kids that I preferred my daughter to interact with anyway.

Regarding the mission project, when my kids were in fourth grade, they were NOT required to build a model. They were only required to choose a mission, do a thorough report on that mission and draw a picture of it. (I'm in northern CA now, it seems the requirements are somewhat different.)

VERY interesting Indy, thank you for adding the food for thought. Your post will be added to our talk here at home on the subject. :)

1. In Ca. we had the Ca. Lottery shoved down or throats on promises of how much the schools would benefit from revenue gathered from the sale of every ticket, meanwhile the news is filled with stories of budget cuts.

2. They send projects home, which, as so far beyond the motor skills of my child all she can do is stand and watch as I do them.

3. At the bus stops I witness kids already on the bus jumping around like savages, if I ask the driver if, for the safety of my daughter he could try to better control the group, I later get a phone call from the principal of the school telling me I must not voice my concerns or pick on the driver.

Where has sanity gone?

Yeah that does suck but i've never had any experience with it cos i go to a private school. Also I don't take the bus but I know that with any school (private or not) around our area, the kids behave a lot better than you describe.

But I can relate to your second point, because I do remember when I was a lot younger, my parents always did my work for me. I wasn't able to understand any of it.

A lot of the home-schooled children (here) have families that have organized together to provide venues for 'social interaction' - they ge3t together two, three times a week for the sole purpose - apparently, they've got lots of time around curriculum - so much for the status quo

Well I talked the idea of home schooling over with the girls; I asked them to not say anything until I finished. I laid out my argument with the skill of a Tellarite covering every conceivable base, when I had finished and opened the floor for rebuttal it was decided so quick it made my head spin. In unison they both simply stated no and that was it, it was over!

Thanks to them, which spent any valuble time, discussing this topic with me.

I'd like to add my 2 cents.

1. If you feel the current local education institution is not providing a safe and proper educational environment, I say homeschool your kids.

2. Upon signing your child out of the public school, if you cannot find what you need to home school them, contact the school and ask them who to contact.

3. Go with the home school curriculum, and feel free to add on what you feel would bennefit your child.

4. Don't worry about a social circle. Granted, it will be hard to be by themself or with you most of the day. So, to correct this, make sure they have friends, be a little involved with their friends parents and make sure they are involved with social activities.

Well, what do you think?

I have one other small point to add: depriving of 'regular' social interactions, meaning no drugs, sex, or 'let's drop out' influences before the age of fourteen? - the girls are SOOO right ...

To fortify your position, you might add that they can cover the same material they cover in school in less than half the time. There is soooo much wasted time in a school day. A lot of it is spent on disciplining children who refuse to behave in a civilized manner. There's a myriad of activities they could take part in with all their free time. Most importantly, homeschooled children can take an active part in their education and choose what they want to learn, to some extent. You should still cover the basics such as Math and English, but if they want to expand on the Astronomy unit in 5th grade, they can do that or whatever their interests happen to be.

Also, I enrolled in an independent studies program through the school. They help provide materials such as textbooks (which can be costly) and provide suggestions about required subjects for each grade level.

Homeschooling is definitely not for everybody, but it was extremely beneficial to us during that time. Good luck!!

Where has sanity gone?

Yeah that does suck but i've never had any experience with it cos i go to a private school. Also I don't take the bus but I know that with any school (private or not) around our area, the kids behave a lot better than you describe.

yeah so do I. Maybe thats why we both have so may tests, lol