Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ Nature Vs. Nurture ~

Nature versus nurture is a popular phrase used to describe debates over the relative degrees to which one's genetic makeup ("nature") and one's life experiences ("nurture") influence one's traits and behavior. A wide variety of characteristics have been considered in such debates, including personality, sexual orientation, gender identity, political orientation, intelligence, and propensity for violence or criminality.

Although "nurture" may have historically referred mainly to the care given to children by their parents, any environmental (not genetic) factor also would count as "nurture" in a contemporary nature versus nurture debate, including one's childhood friends, one's early experiences with television, and one's experience in the womb. Indeed, a substantial source of environmental input to human nature may arise from stochastic variations in prenatal development. Additionally, although childhood experience (especially early childhood experience) is often regarded as more influential in who one becomes than post-childhood experience, a liberal interpretation of "nurture" might count all life experience as "nurture".

Jeanway, this is a really tuff one. I remember my freshman year of college psychology class. *I am having flashbacks :) * I read several studies on the subject for the class. I think its both nature and nurture.

Edited by Odie

I think it's a sliding scale on a bendy road :) :) what ever that means, I'm tired, don't listen to me. :)

I have to admit in reading this when I think about the times I tried to nurture Daniel's sons I wasn't to keen on the idea. I held *personal* resentments about having to *mother* another woman's children. It took me a great deal of time to realize it didn't matter and that they were my husband's and my children by marriage and nature took over and I raised Daniel II like he was my own son.