Sign in to follow this  
Cougar

Where is Enterprises Medical staff?

I know Enterprise has Phlox but where's everyone else who's part of the medical staff?

It would make no sense for Enterprise to have only a doctor. He at least need nurses.

Is starfleet running low on doctors/nurses?

Edited by Cougar

Okay, I never noticed that before! Strange isn't it! Perhaps ENT only has one Doctor because the ship has a very small crew. It is %10 less crew than the Enterprise D and I don't think the Enterprise D had more than 10 doctors on call at ANY time in the series, so I guess ENT has as many doctors as it needs: ONE. And besides, Voyager made it by with 1 doctor and a pilot for a nurse.

There should be a medical staff on board. :) In the Navy, a ship that may have somewhere between 250-500 sailors have at 3 to 5 medical personel on board.

Okay, but doesn't Enterprise only have about 85 crew members MAXIMUM?  But yeah, it would be a good idea... some procedures require at least 2 sugeons.

273865[/snapback]

If they had a crew of 85 only one doctor and assistant is needed. Maybe a nurse or medical corpman will do.

Maybe Phlox has the abilities of more than two (or more) humans?

273870[/snapback]

maybe. But he's not the EMH that can do many things at once and has superior medical abilities. If there is only 1 doctor then they at least need one nurse. What if the doctor was injured? Who would treat him? I mean many members can treat him but can they treat him properly? If phlox was injured and needed surgery, no one could help him. So they would need a nurse or surgeon.

I know there have been medical staff present in previous episodes, I recall an actor by the name of Tim Glenn was credited as Medican technician in Minefield and some more medical staff was present in The Breach. Cutler helped out occassionally as well. But I agree, Enterprise needs a larger medical staff.

Guest Mike_Hines01

I believe Enterprise probably does have a medical staff, as Jack Bauer said they have been seen in episodes before. I think that with Enterprise being such a small ship and only having such a small crew that they rarely need to be on duty in sickbay. So they are off studying or helping with other things and are called upon during the more serious incidents like in Minefield or later episodes of season 3.

Didn't Voyager only have one human doctor. I know that if he hadn't died he would have had the EMH to assist him but there were never any nurses or assistants on Voyager either. Maybe it's some sort of Starfleet regulation that lasts through the centuries. :)

Aren't some of Enterprise's crew trained as orderlies but are normally stationed in other parts of the ship? I assume they've been trained as medics or something. Maybe Phlox is just that good. :)

Maybe the staff is busy trying to come up with more appealing alternatives to the doc's "creatures". :) But seriously, isn't it kinda universal in the military/starfleet to have a small medical team, and bring in a medical ship in an emergency?

I think this is a problem with Enterprise though since there AREN'T any medical ships at all that we know of!!!

Didn't Voyager only have one human doctor. I know that if he hadn't died he would have had the EMH to assist him but there were never any nurses or assistants on Voyager either.

274002[/snapback]

I thought in "Caretaker Part I" the entire medical staff was killed by an exploding console when they were thrown into the Delta Quadrant.

Then again, it's been at least two years since I saw the episode. Gives me an excuse to watch it again, as soon as Spike begins showing it.

Didn't Voyager only have one human doctor. I know that if he hadn't died he would have had the EMH to assist him but there were never any nurses or assistants on Voyager either.

274002[/snapback]

I thought in "Caretaker Part I" the entire medical staff was killed by an exploding console when they were thrown into the Delta Quadrant.

Then again, it's been at least two years since I saw the episode. Gives me an excuse to watch it again, as soon as Spike begins showing it.

274478[/snapback]

I know what you mean. I haven't seen Caretaker since in aired the first time so you're probably right. :laugh: