Sign in to follow this  
master_q

State of Star Trek & its Future

William Shatner (James T. Kirk) today said Star Trek has become "old hat" and needs new blood if the franchise is to endure.

"It needs something new," Shatner told Terry Morrow of the Scripps Howard News Service (via Naples News). "The people responsible for it have lost its way, and they need to find it again. They need a whole new group of talents to give everyone a fresh approach. By doing too many things, they have lost its way because of greed."

Shatner said he doesn't watch the latest television series, Enterprise, and didn't see Star Trek Nemesis at the cinema, either. "Curious, isn't it?" he said, "but I have never had a desire to see it, and you'd think I would ... Paramount must be worried over the lack of interest at the box office and the numbers for the series."

The solution, according to the actor, is simple. "They should hearken back to where it was before with good stories," Shatner said.

To read the complete article, head over to Naples News.

I just have to post this because he is completely on the money and we really need ST stars like this to speak out. People like Berman are really holding ST back. He really is not brining in good shows. In fact Berman actually called (truthfully) ST “silly” or 1/2 real and 1/2 silly. I would agree ST has humor and sometimes is silly, but its not on the border of the two.

Here’s the quote that that he says ST borders on silly (and he is the one that is really the controller of ST today):

Star Trek is something that always borders on the silly

And if you really read what he says most of it really shows that he does not have the best interest for the show. Of course he has done great things for ST, but right now I think he needs to go.

That is one of the issues (getting rid of Berman) that would (at least I think) help ST.

ENT I admit that I have not seen a majority of the shows because I don’t care for it. This is due to lack of originality and that goes back to what Shatner said. But I do admit the last two episodes that I have seen are not that bad.

But overall I think ST does need a shaping to help its future. (And just to get back the 'Best of Trek' days [what every you think they were])

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Although I agree that we need more sci-fi based scripts rather than character development only scripts, I do hope that by "good stories" that Shatner does not mean any of his scripts/books :) .

Sorry was that a bit harsh? O well, I still think he was great as Kirk.

William Shatner (James T. Kirk) today said Star Trek has become "old hat" and needs new blood if the franchise is to endure.

"It needs something new," Shatner told Terry Morrow of the Scripps Howard News Service (via Naples News). "The people responsible for it have lost its way, and they need to find it again. They need a whole new group of talents to give everyone a fresh approach. By doing too many things, they have lost its way because of greed."

Shatner said he doesn't watch the latest television series, Enterprise, and didn't see Star Trek Nemesis at the cinema, either. "Curious, isn't it?" he said, "but I have never had a desire to see it, and you'd think I would ... Paramount must be worried over the lack of interest at the box office and the numbers for the series."

The solution, according to the actor, is simple. "They should hearken back to where it was before with good stories," Shatner said.

To read the complete article, head over to Naples News.

I just have to post this because he is completely on the money and we really need ST stars like this to speak out. People like Berman are really holding ST back. He really is not brining in good shows. In fact Berman actually called (truthfully) ST “silly” or 1/2 real and 1/2 silly. I would agree ST has humor and sometimes is silly, but its not on the border of the two.

Here’s the quote that that he says ST borders on silly (and he is the one that is really the controller of ST today):

Star Trek is something that always borders on the silly

And if you really read what he says most of it really shows that he does not have the best interest for the show. Of course he has done great things for ST, but right now I think he needs to go.

That is one of the issues (getting rid of Berman) that would (at least I think) help ST.

ENT I admit that I have not seen a majority of the shows because I don’t care for it. This is due to lack of originality and that goes back to what Shatner said. But I do admit the last two episodes that I have seen are not that bad.

But overall I think ST does need a shaping to help its future. (And just to get back the 'Best of Trek' days [what every you think they were])

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Totally agree. Dumb and Dumber ( Berman and Braga) are not my ideal choice to head the ST franchise, and Bill Shatner is spot on with his analysis.

Dumber said a lot more than ST borders on the silly too! I can't remember it all offhand but basically he wanted to get as far away from Gene Roddenberry's vision of ST as he could.

I still say that he is bitter. I am more interested in knowing what Leonard Nemoy has to say.