Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Worf in a red uniform?

As I understand it, the uniform colors signify department.

Red - Command

Gold - Engineering, Operrations, and so forth

Blue - Medical, Sciences, and so forth

When Geordi was promoted to Chief Engineer, he switched from the red to the gold uniform.

When Worf was transferred to DS9 and became the Strategic Operations Officer, he switched from the gold to the red uniform.

My question is: When Worf returned to the Enterprise-E as Chief of Security/Tactical Officer, why was he still in a red uniform? Since he was 1st officer of the Defiant while stationed at DS9, does him remaining in a red uniform signify that he has command responsibilities in addition to security & tactical?

As I understand it, the uniform colors signify department.

Red - Command

Gold - Engineering, Operrations, and so forth

Blue - Medical, Sciences, and so forth

When Geordi was promoted to Chief Engineer, he switched from the red to the gold uniform.

When Worf was transferred to DS9 and became the Strategic Operations Officer, he switched from the gold to the red uniform.

My question is: When Worf returned to the Enterprise-E as Chief of Security/Tactical Officer, why was he still in a red uniform?  Since he was 1st officer of the Defiant while stationed at DS9, does him remaining in a red uniform signify that he has command responsibilities in addition to security & tactical?

Hmm...I wonder that, too. At the end of DS9, I thought he was supposed to be the ambassador to the Klingons. Was he only there in Nemesis to attent the wedding ceremonies, or was he actually a member of the crew again? If he was an ambassador, he'd still be wearing the read, wouldn't he?

There was a line cut from the movie that said Worf had transferred back to the Enterprise as he felt he wasn't cut out to be an Ambassador.

Even with the line deleted, I felt it was pretty clear he had returned to the Enterise in the 4 years since DS9 ended.

So, anyone got any ideas why his uniform was red and not gold? As I said before, I just assumed he had command responsibilities in addition to security and tactical.

Worf in a blue uniform! Now THAT would be strange. "Worf gets a new job as a geologist. Ooooh Captain. Check out these rocks, they are so cool!" I don't know why he was still in red.Maybe hwhen he returned his job was modifies to encompass tasks that merited that colour. Either that or maybe he thought he looked slimmer in red. Went with his eyes better :laugh:

I say that it would be because he is still part of the command structure on the Enterprise.

Huh? All security officers and engineers were gold. When Worf was promoted from bridge officer to Chief of Security, he went from a red uniform to a gold uniform. When he became Strategic Opperations officer of DS9, he went back to a red uniform. Now that he's a security officer again, he should be back in a gold uniform. Hmm...

Eh, I'm just gonna stick with the idea that becuase he was 1st officer of the Defiant, when he transferred to the Enterprise, he still has command responsibilities, thus the red uniform.  That or a goof in the movie. :)

I don't want to believe that they messed up such an easy thing, so I'll go with you on the first officer of the Defiant :laugh:

Worf wore red when TNG launched because he was a tactical officer. Tactical wore red. When he became Chief of Security (in additional to Tactical) he wore yellow. His initial assignment at DS9 was in a tactical position (sonce Odo was still Security Chief). XO of the Defiant was a position that was on and off again, as was most of the Defiant crew. They stafed the ship based on who was available for any particular mission.

The problem is, for the most part, we have only seen Tactical and Security combined in the same position rather than separate positions.