Sign in to follow this  
ddillard

Trek or Love?

If your significant other said you had to choose between them or Trek, how would you respond?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. If your significant other said you had to choose between them or Trek, how would you respond?

• Give up Trek
    • Agree, but watch Trek any way without their knowledge
    • Tell them goodbye
    • Tough Decision, I'll have to think about it.
    • Through hissy fit and leave the room, stomping feet.

My friends already make fun of me when I watch trek. sometimes I laugh too, like I have to be in at 10 pm so I can watch Voyager I just have to!!!!

I love trek its my hobbie and always will be. hey that is why I hope to find a fellow trek-o-holic like my self to love :innocent:

I agree, if someone cannot accept you for all parts of you than there is no hope for the relationship. Trek today, what will they demand you change tomorrow.

I am still kicking myself for letting the one person I loved talking to and was as big a trekkie as I am get away. To bad I was engaged when I met her. Wait a minute I know she works at the zoo....hmmmm Time to go see the horseys.....

I have been basically told by my fiance to give up these boards. As you can see I have not. I have however cut down on my time here considerably. I pretty much only post on the weekends now. He did not give me an ultimatum to choose the boards or him. He said he just doesn't want me to be on here instead of spending time with him. I work and I go to school so when I'm home I understand he wants to spend time with me. I try to balance the two but I think for him it's more of a matter of insecurity. I once got him to admit what the real problem is. We were talking about a fight we had over these boards and he said he is afraid that I will leave him for one of you guys. I told him it's not that kind of a board and to take a look at it but he won't.

If he ever did give me an ultimatum to choose ST boards or him then I would choose him. If he wanted me to give up Trek all together then that would be a different story. Trek has been a part of my life far longer than he has and nothing is going to change that.

I know this is kind of strange but it's late and I am curious.  A friend of mine was just in this situation.  I will explain later how she dealt with the situation.

I would tell them goodbye, because if they cannot accept me for who I am and the things I enjoy, I do not need them in my life.

Tell them good-bye! If they would make me choose betweeen them and a TV show, they're obviously shallow and don't care that much about me (ya, and pretty much what you already said :laugh:)

When I first saw this, I thought it was going to be a question like "If you had to chose between (I don't know...) going out for dinner with your sig. other or watching your favourite ep (or a new one or something) which would you chose, in which case definitely Trek would lose that battle. But as for the ACTUAL question, goodbye. Definitely.

Though I doubt I would I could feesably see myself with someone who wasn't much of a Star Trek fan. If they didn't enjoy watching Trek with me, I could deal with that. If it ment that I had to not watch as much Trek, I could deal with that. However if they told me I had to give up Trek to be with them then I would most definatly say goodbye. I know it's only a TV show and it's not as important as a good relationship or dear I say it..love. But I think anyone who would make me give up my favorite TV show to be with them just because they didn't like it isn't someone I would want to be with. It's a matter of respecting your partners interests. I have a sister who's primery love is riding horses. She spends several hours a day taking care of her horses, teaching riding lessons, and going to compatitions. She has had a really hard time with boy friends because non of them respect her horse riding as a real interest. She had one boyfriend for a long time that would give her guilt trips whenever she spent the weekend riding in compatitions insted of spending it with him, even though she spent every non riding moment with him.

My point is be it a TV show, horse riding, or a playing music people need to respect the interests of their significant others. I would never tell a girlfriend to not study, stop writing, or give up watching "Friends" just so that they could spend more time with me and I would expect the same treatment in return. People are to be loved, not shaped.

Of course tell him goodbye!(If I had a significant other, that is)

There once was a couple of guys interested in me....but they attempted to strike a ridiculous deal. They(in different years) wanted me to start failing classes(since I was on the high honor roll, and they said they didn't want any girl of theirs to be smarter than them), quit gymnastics and all other sports(since any girl of theirs can never be stronger than them), do not ever again speak my mind(any girl of theirs must always be under their arm, and they would speak for her), and most importantly GIVE UP WATCHING/READING STAR TREK(Because they have a reputation to protect and their girl can't be a freak...their words, I am NOT kidding!!!! :rolleyes: )!! For the first of only about three times in my entire time in school....I gave the boys the finger, and told them to stick their deal where the sun don't shine! I LIKE ME, and if they don't like my choices(School, sports, and Star Trek) they obviously don't like who I really am and they need to go search for their TROPHY GIRL somewhere else ("I ain't nobody's trophy"-Stephanie from Grease II...I love that as well as "I ain't no one's wife(?) bird, oh I love my life.."-Velma in Chicago, singing All That Jazz)) !!! I know that I was fuming in the first part of my post, but can you believe the nerve of some people!?!?!?!?!

Well said Tank!

Exactly...there's really not much to add. Great job Tank!

I love that song...oh I'm no one's wife but, I love my life...I love the way she sings, its so energetic!!

I have been basically told by my fiance to give up these boards.  As you can see I have not.  I have however cut down on my time here considerably. I pretty much only post on the weekends now.  He did not give me an ultimatum to choose the boards or him.  He said he just doesn't want me to be on here instead of spending time with him.  I work and I go to school so when I'm home I understand he wants to spend time with me.  I try to balance the two but I think for him it's more of a matter of insecurity.  I once got him to admit what the real problem is.  We were talking about a fight we had over these boards and he said he is afraid that I will leave him for one of you guys.  I told him it's not that kind of a board and to take a look at it but he won't. 

If he ever did give me an ultimatum to choose ST boards or him then I would choose him.  If he wanted me to give up Trek all together then that would be a different story.  Trek has been a part of my life far longer than he has and nothing is going to change that.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think he's insecure. I think his reasoning is perfectly justified. You're fiance should be more important than Trek, so if he feels like he is no longer a priority in life, you have to consider how he that would make him feel. If he's concerned you might "meet someone" on the board, tell him to come look. If he refuses to look, then ask him not to complain becuase he can check it out any time. :rolleyes:

My Fiancee has actually said me or Star Trek many a times and i always say Star Trek but i watch it and she doesnt mind as long as I don't try and make her watch it.

I voted for think about it