Sign in to follow this  
removed

password prompt program

does anyone know of a program in which i can put a password prompt on the display properties of windows so my annoying little sister cant change it my settings and background?

does anyone know of a program in which i can put a password prompt on the display properties of windows so my annoying little sister cant change it my settings and background?

Which edition of Windows? 98, XP?

Probably the easiest way is to create a password on your user account. Then when you log on under your username you would have to type in your password. So when you are done with the computer just log off (or turn it off).

Password for log on:

Well it might be a little bit different depending on what OS (operating system) you have.

In WinXP (it is basically the same for WinME, 98, . . .)

Go to the Control Panel

{On Classic View for XP} Go to User Accounts

Then go to Change An Account

Click your user name

Then click Create Password

If you don’t have a log on screen in the first place, then you can add an account for your self. (Just go to the same area in the Control Panel and follow what the screen says)

Well I hope that helped

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

alright. thanks. that did help. by the way i'm running windows 98 se. normally, i am really good with computers, and i even built my current one, but totally forgot about that feature. thank-you

alright. thanks. that did help. by the way i'm running windows 98 se. normally, i am really good with computers, and i even built my current one, but totally forgot about that feature. thank-you

Glad it helped

Master Q

doh! my sister figured out how to get around the user name prompt. is there possibly a program to need a password to change the desktop picture and screensaver?

doh! my sister figured out how to get around the user name prompt. is there possibly a program to need a password to change the desktop picture and screensaver?

I know in Windows 98 that in the log on screen anyone can get passed that, but you can’t really get pass (or log on as) a specific user.

Like if I was on my 98 computer and then once I got the log on I clicked the “cancel” it will just log under “default”. Make sure you don’t log on as “default” and log on typing in your password . . . .

I would guess that your sister is in fact in the default log in. She can change things there, but when you log on with your password (and user name) then you should be ok. However you might have to set up your theme (wallpaper, screen saver, . . .) under that user name again to make it look as you want it to.

LOL

And if you don’t want your sister to even touch the computer in general, then you can create a startup password (you really can’t get passed that unless you know how to restart the CSMOS inside the computer or contact {with identification and proof that that’s your computer} the computer company with a default code)

Master Q

Weird.. Looks like ur Sister also knows her way around computers :dude:

How old is she??

~Laur :blink:

I know in Windows 98 that in the log on screen anyone can get passed that, but you can’t really get pass (or log on as) a specific user.

Like if I was on my 98 computer and then once I got the log on I clicked the “cancel” it will just log under “default”. Make sure you don’t log on as “default” and log on typing in your password . . . .

I would guess that your sister is in fact in the default log in. She can change things there, but when you log on with your password (and user name) then you should be ok. However you might have to set up your theme (wallpaper, screen saver, . . .) under that user name again to make it look as you want it to.

LOL

And if you don’t want your sister to even touch the computer in general, then you can create a startup password (you really can’t get passed that unless you know how to restart the CSMOS inside the computer or contact {with identification and proof that that’s your computer} the computer company with a default code)

Master Q

master q is correct. There is really no way to get around a cmos password. If you do set one up make sure it is a password that is easy for you to remember but hard for her. You cannot leave it written down on a piece of paper anywhere either. She may find it