Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Kirk

Weapons of the Enterprise

Have you ever noticed that in Balance of Terror the ship's Phasers were a targeted and fired manually in a armoury? And that later in the show the phasers were controlled by Sulu using a targeting computer on the bridge? Was their an overhaul or a writers decision? What do you think?

Maybe they have the option of firing the weapons from either location, it makes sense to have systems controled from more than one location, in the event that one station is damaged during a battle the other can take over.

I would imagine the weapons systems are normally controlled from the armoury,in order to free the bridge personnel to perform their various tasks unhendered during a time of crisis.However,in certain circumstances,it is possible to control the weapons from auxiliary controls on the bridge.

I do realize that this isn't cannon, but it one book, it was suggested that older ships like the 1701 had to pass commande along before they could be fullfilled and that it wasn't until later designs that phasers, torpedos etc, could be fired directly from the bridge. I would have liked to see a more involved process in Enterprise just like in Balance of Terror, but oh well. And yes it does makes sense for a second location of operation. That is what "auxillary control" is for.