Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

Au Revoir Expos

Well, it looks like its finally going to happen. The Montreal Expos appear to be headed South for Washington D.C. and will be playing their last home game in Montreal tomorrow night. As I am only 18 I never experienced the time when the Expos were Canada's team but from what I heard on the radio today I realize that at one time they meant a lot to Canada. So with a heavy heart Canada bids adieu to the Montreal Expos. A team that has developed many of the great players in the game today and by all respects probably would've won the World Series in 1994 if not for the strike. The following are a few articles from TSN about the departure of the Expos and some history on the franchise:

Expos' Tavares waits with bated breath

Fire sales depleted a team of stars

Local government to blame for Expos demise?

And even though I do not consider myself a die-hard Expos fan (I don't often see them play on TV) I followed them the best I could and I will miss them.

Are there any Expos fans or casual observers who'd like to share their memories?

Edited by Jack_Bauer

I know what you're going through. Losing any team to another market hurts no matter if you follow the team or not. I had the unfortunate experience of watching the Braves leave Milwaukee and there are still some people there who won't ever forgive Bill Bartholomay for lying to the people of Milwaukee about how the Braves weren't going to leave after his group bought them. Now Milwaukee's second team is in the process of finalizing their sale to new group and rest assured, and this is just my opinion, but I think in about six to seven years, the Brewers will be leaving as well. When that happens, Milwaukee will never, ever get another baseball team. When that happens, listen for the wailing. As in all cases like this the cliche' is very true. You just never know what you have until it's gone. Support your team, even if they're bad, and maybe they won't go away. In Montreal, I'm sure if more fans had showed up, there might never had been a discussion of leaving. Fans need to take some of the blame, after all it is a business. And even though the product on the field may not be the best, if fans ignore it or protest their disgust of having a lousy team by not showing up, when you wake up some morning and find that the team is no longer there, you have to look in the mirror and ask, would more support have made a difference. And I do agree, if the strike of 94 had never happened and the Expos had gone on to win the series, a very real possibility, this whole circumstance probably would never have happened. You have my sympathy.

I've never really followed baseball so it didn't really matter to me where they went or if they went anywhere at all. My area was in the running for the team but I knew they wouldn't move here.

This area is used as a pawn when it comes to teams moving. They use us to get better deals in other cities.

This area is used as a pawn when it comes to teams moving. They use us to get better deals in other cities.

268774[/snapback]

I agree with you. But I would have to admit that this area, Hampton Roads, is just not major league material for any sport. There are too many fiefdoms to contend with and the media does one of the poorest jobs I've ever seen when it comes to sports reporting here, to make this attractive to any team. Hampton roads, in spite of being the largest metropolitan area in Virginia, will always be minor league when it comes to sports.