Sign in to follow this  
mj

How has stf.net affected your 'fanhood'?

I don't know if the question is clear or not.

But for me, being a member of startrekfans.net has impacted my experience of Star Trek in a positive way.

I am not going to list every aspect of why I am glad I decided to participate. I'll just mention one thing. I finally started buying and reading fan-fiction.

I probably would never have thought about it if I had not read so many threads about it here. I have read some of QSMB's stories, and the stories people wrote in that little contest. And I have read comments about fan fiction by members here. I really kept wondering about those remarks about borg tribbles. ( I finally read that story!).

So when I was at Border's looking for one of my favorite sci fi stories, Brave New World, I noticed a collection of short stories by Star Trek fans, and bought it. I read it instead of my favorite. I thoroughly enjoyed those stories, as much as anything I might have seen on television! ( And since they are short stories, I can read them in bits and pieces...about all I have time for right now.) I have three books now.

It would not have happened without reading about it here, and finally deciding to try it. So my Star Trek experience will continue to grow.

It has impacted my Star Trek life as well. I have started reading every Star Trek book I can get my hands on from school. My friend has even started to help me find Star Trek books who is also a Star Trek fan. Right now I am reading Star Trek the Next Generation Unification I have already finished Star Trek Deep Space Nine The Big Game

I started writing Star Trek related stories. I do alot of research and reading now about episodes and timelines and histories of different species and ships.

I've learned a lot of new things here and had things clarified that I didn't quite understand.

The thing I like most about this place is that it's like a huge extended family. You don't find that too often on a message board this size! :b-day:

Certainly has improved my Trek fandom... Though I don't just limit my love for science-fiction simply to Trek. :b-day:

My trivia skills have probably improved... I might say the same thing about my writing, or at least I know what I like to write about now. :b-day: (I'll probably do something more original for the next short-story contest QSMB will make... :b-day: "Return of the Borg Tribbles".)

I think this is a great community, and concur with Kyra's above post. :cool1:

post-812-1096014361.jpgpost-812-1095586641.gif

It has rekindled my love of Trek. I have starting watching more episodes and movies and reading books again. And allot of memories have come back. When I was in my late teens I could have mastered Trivia. I have forgotten allot. I guess that is what comes with old age. :b-day: and a large family. :b-day:

Ohhh....I have to admit, I stay away from the trivia competitions too, right now, but there was a time I knew every instant of every TOS episode...when I was younger.

It has sorta hurt it. i use to think i was a huge trek fan,But then i met youse guys,,,

Some of you are waaaaaaaay to addicted

I can't honestly say that the site has enhanced my personal fandom in terms of my enjoyment of all things Trek. I have always been "over the top" when it comes to Star Trek and I'm sure Amy can attest to that.

The site has caused me to get even deep into technical aspects of stories and backgrounds from the shows though. I get a lot of emails and PM's from people with technical questions or background questions, so I like to be able to answer those questions as best as I can.

Mostly though, from my standpoint the site has been more about expanding my vision and view of the real world that we live in. I look at the Member Map or the thread where I list all of the visiting countries and am just in awe of the reach and scope that Star Trek has.

What other circumstances would bring people from Europe, Asia, Canada, The United States, Central America, Africa, Australia and many other places all together in one place like this? I'm sure there are topics that would do it, but none of them are quite like Star Trek and none of them would bring together people in quite such a way as to create friendships like Star Trek has done for us.

Even when we have disputes and arguments we can overcome those things and rally around one thing. Star Trek.

Mostly though, from my standpoint the site has been more about expanding my vision and view of the real world that we live in. I look at the Member Map or the thread where I list all of the visiting countries and am just in awe of the reach and scope that Star Trek has.

What other circumstances would bring people from Europe, Asia, Canada, The United States, Central America, Africa, Australia and many other places all together in one place like this? I'm sure there are topics that would do it, but none of them are quite like Star Trek and none of them would bring together people in quite such a way as to create friendships like Star Trek has done for us.

Even when we have disputes and arguments we can overcome those things and rally around one thing. Star Trek.

267659[/snapback]

Great comment!

267659[/snapback]

Great comment!

267752[/snapback]

Well stated. I couldn't have done better myself. :P

Edited by Odie

This website has helped me to really understand how "global" Star Trek truly is..........Star Trek has touched the lives of thousands throughout the world. That has been brought home to me by the fans here on this web site. My some of my favorite series are no longer being aired on TV, and startrekfans.net helps to keep the episodes and characters alive through discussions with other fans.

It really is a great community to discuss trek and other things. All in all, it's a place to discuss how Star Trek's view of the issue can be applied in life.

I have been a Star Trek fan for a long time so of course I knew it was global. But I don't think I really thought about that until I joined this site..We have members from all over the world..It really is wonderful discussing trek with someone on the other side of the world or country..And I thought nobody could be as passionate about Star Trek as me ! Now, I can't imagine not being a part of this wonderful site..

And being the Trivia Mod has had a big affect on me..It keeps me thinking of different aspects of trek that I normally wouldn't consider....I tend to watch more trek because of it and Of course am enjoying myself immensely.. :biggrin:

To Me i also like that stf.net is of sorts a cyber extended family and that i've done more posts in here then i might have in st.com i still use st.com for the episode summaries but i do more stuff in here since having to migrate from st.com besides i think i've more flexibility in here and talk about various SCI-FI shows besides trek so it is a very good message board ("where i've given my opinion on stuff that i usually wouldn't say in the real world ")and i was aware of how Global Trek was so i like chatting to people from other places as well.

:biggrin: :laugh::laugh::heart: