Sign in to follow this  
nascarfan1

Sulu

It's too bad they didn't do a spin off, from TOS when it first got cancelled, with Sulu in command. Don't know if it would have survived though with the war in Nam going on, and all the prejudice at home...

I would have watched it! It's an interesting idea, but I, too, don't think itwould have worked...

I don't think a series with Sulu in command shown right after the cancellation of TOS would have worked, and here's why:

The command structure of the Enterprise 1701 was as follows-

1. James T Kirk

2. Spock

3. Montgomery Scott

4. Hikauru Sulu

So you see, there are two men from the original crew who would have gotten command BEFORE Sulu.

However, I believe that a television series featuring Captain Sulu should have been produced after the release of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. That movie features Sulu in command of the USS Excelsior and a series based on Sulu and his new ship would have been great!!

he did seem a little out of place is ST VI and that one voyager episode...like he was basing his command technique off of what he thinks Kirk would do

I like the idea of Sulu in command of the Excelsior, I just don't think it works on screen. A running Excelsior series of books would work better, in my opinion.

This is one of those great "Trek Resurrection" ideas I think would be perfectly suited for an animated series. The characters could all be voiced by the original actors (actresses) and be drawn to look like what ever time the series were set in, they better hurry though, the stars are not getting any younger.

yeah, i don't think sulu would have been the best idea... but we should at least get an asian captain on a new series

he did seem a little out of place is ST VI and that one voyager episode...like he was basing his command technique off of what he thinks Kirk would do

Most people tend to try to think about what the person that they most admire would do in that kind of a situation. Let's face it there is no way that Kirk would not have influenced Sulu's command style.

I heard rumors prior to Enterprise that the next series was going to follow Sulu and the Excelsior in the years after Kirk's loss aboard Enterprise-B (and maybe lead up to the Tomed Incident).I was really looking forward to this,and was very disappointed when Enterprise took shape...

I'm not saying Ent isn't a good show,its just I would have preferred Sulu and the Excelsior.

hmmm, i wasnt even an ameba when TOS was on! But Sulu in command wouldve been good.

The VOY episode with Sulu in command was "Flashbacks" season 3 episode 02....after Basics (good epi!)

It could have worked. Sulu was a well developed character who had lots of hobbies and interests. He was greatly influenced by Kirk, of course. For instance, he was evasive and deceptive when Star Fleet Command was trying to locate Enterprise in the Undiscovered Country, a very Kirk-like act. But he had enough of his own personality were there would have been sufficient material to develop a series.

That could have worked,I suppose.Personally I would have enjoyed a series based on the Enterprise-C and Captain garrett.Of course,at the end of year-7 we would have to watch our beloved ship and crew destroyed by Romulans.Yesterday's Enterprise was a cruel episode to deliver to the fans.We were given the barest "taste" of this new Enterprise and her crew,and then everything was just yanked away,leaving us hungry for more.At least we found out what happened to Yar.

Prior to Enterprise I had heard that there was talk of a series with Sulu in command of the Excelsior..It could have been a good series..But we'll never know for sure...I had also heard that Janice Rand was going to be a Bridge Officer just like in St VI..That would have been neat.I've always wished she was more involved in Star Trek..Oh well..It never happened and we'll never know how good Sulu would have been as a Captain...

None of the networks would have green-lighted this idea in the time immediately after the cancellation of TOS.Star Trek was simply an idea far too ahead of its day in the late 60's.

As some others have stated,I too would have enjoyed a series based on Captain Sulu and the Excelsior produced after Star Trek:The Undiscovered Country.Its still not too late for that series,though it does unfortunately seem unlikely.We will all have to make due with Enterprise,for better or for worse.