Gary Phaserman

History Quiz!

Who REALLY Killed the Red Baron?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who REALLY Killed the Red Baron?

• Canadian pilot Roy Brown
    • American Pilot Eddie Rickenbacker
    • Australian Infantryman Snowy Evans

Think you know the answer? Are you sure?

the Red Baron was killed by a single .303 round entering in his right side and exiting just below his left nipple. Click on the spoiler to find out if you picked the right one.

Roy Brown

Click For Spoiler
He participated in the Baron's final battle. diving from above to help a fellow pilot, Brown was given credit for killing the infamous German flier. However, using ballistic tests, it was proven "Highly unlikely" that Brown hit the Baron's plane at all, and didn't have the angle on Richtofen to inflict the wound.

Eddie Rickenbacker

Click For Spoiler
Though at the time of the Baron's death Rickenbacker was flying in the ETO, he was not present at the engagement, and therefor could not have shot down Manfred von Richtofen.

Snowy Evans

Click For Spoiler
if you picked Snowy Evans, you are correct. Evans was the only person to have a shot at the Baron that could have inflicted the wound. a second infantrymen fired on him, and likewise had the angle, but reported he only hit the plane in the Engine. Evans is the only person who could have inflicted the fatal wound.

Hey there, Gary! Jaz here. Was that on the History Channel recently? I had seen that sometime ago, and was surprised by the answer. So, yes, I know that my answer is correct. :b-day:

Quite Ironic.... not shotdown by the

Click For Spoiler
Canadian and american aces....

:biggrin: Hehehe, it is kinda funny what struck down the Red Baron, and i guess watching the History Channel special did teach me something i could use (if only in here). Hehehe, and i thought it was Snoopy who got him all the time prior too (j/k). :laugh:

That whole thing on the History Channel was speculation! War records say the Red Baron was shot down by Roy Brown and until those records are officially changed that means he was shot down by Roy Brown.

History is much more open to interpretation than any other social science. I watched that program and it did absolutely nothing to change my opinion.