Sign in to follow this  
jdigs

Janeways hair

One thing that always bugged me..What was with Janeway's hair?! Could they not have figured out something more future like? Thoughts?

Some times they just have bad hairs days and sometimes you wonder if they have lost there minds.. :wow: Plus they were probably trying soemthing new and different.. :D ^:D

I liked Janeway's hairstyle. A nice bob is classic. I really liked it.

Now this is a beehive:

bios_family_marge.gif

Now this is a great topic to discuss. There were all kinds of media write ups about Janeway's hair. I read once in a magazine that the original thoughts were that being a female captain of a star ship they did not want Janeway to look too attractive or sexy. So they gave her what I termed a "grandma look." But then I understand they began to hear from male audiences, and so they modified that look to include a pony tail. Of course that did not add much to her visual appeal. So the conservative hair cut was their final attempt to make her more attractive....yet have her maintain the persona of a captain. They felt it inappropriate for a female captain of a space ship to appear too glamorous :D

One thing that always bugged me..What was with Janeway's hair?! Could they not have figured out something more future like? Thoughts?

They fiddled around with her hair a lot because they weren't really sure what to do with it. Keep in mind they'd never done a regular female captian before :D

They wanted her to have a commanding presence, and they were trying to find an appropriate balance between her more human side, and her being in command of a starship.

They did her hair about twenty different ways with the bun, if you look carefully, trying to fine-tune the style. I think that in the begining, she didn't even have it in a bun. They put that in later and had to re-shoot parts of the pilot episode.

:Di think Star Trek has a tradition in bad hair (ie. beehive central/TOS), and Janeway reflects that - the bob is nice (only possible response to Seven's twist?), but the inverted ponytail was my favourite - slassy and relaxed, ya know?

That's one of them things that originally bothered me about the show... I couldn't stand her hair. I was rather pleased when they changed the style.

Her hair never botherred me. The "tight bun" at first was aweful, but when she wore it so it wasn't hugging her head later on in the first season, it looked much better. I also liked the bun/pony tail look. When she first cut her hair, I thought it looked aweful, but when it got a little length to it by the end of the season, I started to like it.

Gotabite I definitly agree with everything you wrote, I still think they could have just gotten rid of the bun and put her hair down and everything would have been fine.

The only Janeway hair I really didn't like was the one near the beginnig of the series when it was (I think) tied in a pony-tail, but it stuck up on her head...

here's a picture, as I don't think I explained that too welll...

166003.jpg

I mean, how did they even get her hair to do that??? ;)

oops, that was my excellent picture (mr burns, I mean)

Edited by dsbs

;) YEA, the hair game they played with her was something. Me, I like the way it looked after they cut it and it grew a little. That's about the way my hair looks now, but with bands. The only way they could have really made her look like a starched Captain would be to cut her hair real short. Sort of Butch sytle. That to me would have done it in and I probably would have stop watching the show. ;)

Now this is a great topic to discuss.  There were all kinds of media write ups about Janeway's hair.  I read once in a magazine that the original thoughts were that being a female captain of a star ship they did not want Janeway to look too attractive or sexy.  So they gave her what I termed a "grandma look."

That's what I always figured it was. It gave her a sort of school marm look that made her less babe-like, and perhaps more authoritative looking. Or perhaps more elderly than authoritative. :look:

Call me crazy, but I liked the bun. I also liked the bob. (I can't believe I acutally know the names of these hairdos. :D ) The only one I didn't care for was that one dsbs posted a picture of. That hybrid bun/ponytail thing didn't do much for me.

that one made me laugh every time I saw her...I just thought it was a little ridiculous...no one's hair should do that... :look::D

:wow: Yea! That picture reminds me of a teacher that I once had way back when. Never like her or her hair. I would like to know how they made her hair puff up like that and stay there? Anyone know or have an idea how?????????? :)

I liked her hair . I mean what do you expect? wouldn't hair kinda be the same ? look at our own history of hair, its not that different as time goes on... :innocent:

I liked Janeway's hair after they cut it. Particulalrly thae last few seasons. The 1st seaon hairstyle was okay but it tended to come down and get in the way if she was jostled or knocked around.

I did like most of her hair doos the one they started with is the one I really did not like but I did like when her hair came apart when they were in a battle it just made her look more human

I did like most of her hair doos the one they started with is the one I really did not like but I did like when her hair came apart when they were in a battle it just made her look more human

I agree, the hair coming apart made it seem like it was more real, instead of it constantly staying up. Then we'd all be joking about how much hairspray she used!

I vote 100% for the hair cut!

She looks so much better that way!

The long arranged hair looks too old women for me...

what can i say...i have a weakness for women with their hair down...

Amen to that brother