Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

CVN-77 PCU George H. W. Bush

the Navy's newest Air Craft Carrier is under construction at Newport News Shipbuilding. CVN-77 is a stepping stone from the Nimitz class to the CVX design, and will feature some new technologies to be used on CVX. the CVN-77, which has been designated George H. W. Bush after the 41st President of the United States. but it's namesake has a connection to the Shipyards you might not know about.

in World War II, Ensign George H. W. Bush flew a TBF Avenger (TBF standing for Torpedo Bomber, Grumman). Grumman, the company that built Ensign Bush's plane, later merged with Northrup Aircraft Company to form Northrup Grumman. the company then purchased Newport News Shipbuilding, who is now building an aircraft carrier named for George Bush. sound like a Kevin Bacon movie yet?

It brings back memories of PCU Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) at Newport News, VA.

Speaking of degrees of sperations. Your wife was on Enterprise when they relieved the Truman in the Mediterranean in the spring of 2001. :)

Edited by Odie

Very! But than, the Fleet is much smaller than everyone thinks it is! :)

Very!  But than, the Fleet is much smaller than everyone thinks it is!  :)

263367[/snapback]

it is! I always hear jim talking about he ran into this person who was on a ship with his dad, or this person who he used to babysit for...there's even a guy in Gary's unit, one of his Chiefs, that was an MA2 on one of his dad's ships

It happens to me all the time. I am still meeting people that I went to boot camp with and where on the Truman in Yokosuka, Japan.