Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Did Darren treat Sam fairly?

I asked this question on another site. I admit maybe I take things too seriously and Bewitched was just supposed to be fun.

But it always bothered me that he forbade to use her powers (which was a natural reaction for her), to see her family or old friends and basically ordered her to conform to what he wanted her to be.

I can't remember is she told the truth before or after they were married. If after she was wrong for not being up front.

Anyway, it was just a tv show but it bothered me - did it ever bother anyone else?

In the real world I hope no one would maintain a relationship with someone who demanded they be something they weren't.

But she used her powers anyway. I think Darren just wanted to protect her from being tested and stuff. Either way, that's how the relationship worked those days.

But we'll see better in a 2005 movie! Liberation! Witch rights! Human oblivian!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ricky- Lucy...! (slap)

Lucy- Waaaaaa!

Fred- You hit her pretty hard there, Rick.

Edited by sea trooper

I liked that TV show a lot. I guess I could if I'd wanted to viewed Darren as a domineering, and controlling husband. But what I really thought was going on ,was his concern that something would happen to her......in fact to both of them if everyone knew that she had these powers......Let's face it................you know how "so called normal people" treat those who they view as different or "abnormal." She'd probably been taken away and "studied.".....maybe even truly been proclaimed a "witch," and burned at the stake.......who knows? :)

I always had a problem with the Darren(s) forbidding Samantha to use her powers too. I just didn't get it. I always thought to myself, "Man. What is his problem? Maybe Sam can twitch her nose and get that stick out of his butt." I remember she always used her powers anyway so Darren 1 and Darren 2 were kinda full of hot air weren't they? :)

This also reminds me of "I Dream Of Jeannie". Major Nelson didn't like Jeannie using her powers either. He was a real stick in the mud. I bet him and the Darren(s) would have got along well.

Still, they were both just sitcoms from the 60's. I remember seeing some old commercials for cigarettes that were ok at the time too. Society changes over time so television shows are going to change to reflect the times they were made in. I'm not too sure how accurate a picture of society any sitcom gives anyway. Personally I was always more of a Gilligan's Island fan. :)

It never bothered me at all. Sam had to choose to submit...she could not be forced to submit. She was actually the one with the power in that relationship. Darren did not have the power to make her do his bidding. I think she knew her own strength. I think also she might have been concerned about Darren's state of mind.....being the powerful individual she was she could have destroyed his self-esteem. I think she walked a fine line wisely.

And as many pointed out, she did use her powers quite often.

Darren's admonition not to use her powers was a wise choice, as others have pointed out. And Sam did not use them most the time in everyday life. What would her nosy neighbors have thought if she just wiggled her nose to beam in the groceries all the time, and they never saw her at the local grocery store?

In the 60's I think Darren 1 and Darren 2 were control freaks. No one is going to tell me how to live, cook, or clean in my own home. (I'd use whatever powers God instilled within me.) I would of just whammied him into thinking he was gay and then interduced him to Uncle Arthur and let them go off hand in hand.