Sign in to follow this  
krysis

A question about houdini bombs

I have a question and been thinking. Hope someone can put a light to it.

There is an episode where there were mines all around a siege area in DS9. can't remember the name of the episode. Anyway, there were mines all around and our DS Niners could not detect them cos the mines hide in subspace. Anyone remember the name of the episode? Weren't they called houdinis or something?

Anyway, that means there's technology to actually hide something in subspace. Is it possible to hide a whole starship in subspace following the same principle the houdinis are hiding? I'm not very good at ST Tech so I need some help here. Somehow, when someone hits or touches one of these mines, they get killed. Could a starship also hide in there, thus effectively "cloaking" the ship?

Another question. The Jem Hadar had shrouding tech. Why doesn't the Feds ever learn the tech and employ it on their own staff for dangerous missions?

I hope my questions don't make me sound silly. I humbly thank everyone who can help me here.

:huh: :huh: :laugh:

That was the episode "The Siege of AR-558" and if I recall it was mentioned that the technology was outlawed (I could be wrong on that but I don't have time right now to go check it). The mines would hide in subspace like you mentioned and would randomly "decloak" and if someone or something was close enough to it the minw would go off.

Good season 7 episode.

As for the question of a ship doing the same thing, It may be possible to do that but I beliee tht if it is in subspace then it would exist in a different "reality" for lack of a better term and wouldn't be the same as being "cloaked".

Again though, I could be wrong on that though. If someone hasn't given a more detailed answer on this later I will research it more fully.

Wow! That was a fast reply. Thanks. I didn't expect one until tomorrow.

If you're right... why are such good technology banned? I sometimes just can't understand Federation policies.

The "cloaked" ship would be in a different "reality" but won't whatever happened in that "reality" have an effect in normal space. Lets say if the tech is feasible, then a Fed starship can travel deep into Romulan space or other hostile territory without being detected. It would "theoretically" be like one US submarine deep in Chinese waters. No surface ship would be able to see it unless it surfaces. Likewise, no one can see the starship until it returns to normal space. Would this be right?

Well as for why the Federation would not research this area that would be because it is banned by the treaties that they hold with other races. The only cloaking device that they are permitted to have is the one on the Defiant and that is only due to the Dominion war.

Yeah, I think they said in Insurrection that subspace weapons were outlawed becasue they were unpredictable.

It almost sounds similar to being phased. Did they detect chroniton particles? Ah forget it, it's probably different technology.

Feds can't have cloak cos of the treaty with the Romies and the subspace weapon is banned. However, its a starship that "hides" in subspace isn't like a weapon, is it? Its not really a proper cloak with what the Romies have. It'll just be in another "reality" as VBG puts it. This type of "cloak" won't be in the Fed-Romie Treaty, would it? Someone help.... thanks.

I know that in a TNG episode it was discussed that a ship that Riker had been on in the past was experimenting with phase technology which had to be kept from the Romulans as it would prove that the Federation had violated the treaty, so I would say that the treaty bans any form of cloaking not just the conventional type, and this would include the subspace technology.