Sign in to follow this  
ussacclaim

The Godfather movies

Oh man! weren't these movies great or what?! They don't make them like this anymore. Great plot, acting, everything.

What do you all think of these three classics?

Actually I still have yet to see them, :blush 2: any of them, :huh: at the theaters or on video. I wasn't into that sort of thing when they originally released and our regular movie collection has suffered great delays ever since Trek DVDs started hitting the shelves. Someday though...

I am a total mob junky and I have tried so hard to like the Godfather movies, but I've never been able to get through any of them! This is very weird for me...I've read Mario Puzo's book "The Godfather" and loved it, but the movie just drags on and on. I have made it to Michael's little sojourn to Sicily all three times I've tried to watch it and when they whack his little Italian wife, I'm just so bored with the flick I turn it off.

The best mob movie made, IMHO, is "Donnie Brasco." I think it is much more realistic (obviously. It's based on a true story!) and Pacino is just so beautifully pathetic and pitiful as Lefty. Johnny Depp is fantastic as Brasco and Michael Madsen and Bruno Kirby really add nice spice to the whole thing. It's a very "edge of your seat" kind of movie, but nowhere near as over the top as "Goodfellas."

I promise to try to watch these crazy Godfather movies again if you guys will give my beloved Donnie Brasco a try. :huh:

I promise to try to watch these crazy Godfather movies again if you guys will give my beloved Donnie Brasco a try. :huh:

261130[/snapback]

I will. Goodfellows too.

I would say that the first two Godfather films are classics and easily in my top twenty films, but the third is very poor and suffers from some bad acting in certain quarters. I can't say I like the Goodfellas either, I much prefer a classic Jimmy Cagney or Paul Muni gangster film.

The first one: I semi-enjoyed it. Some parts were good despite it's unbelievably slow pace.

However, contrary to how most people seem to think: The Godfather Part II sucked so unbelievably bad. It is terrible. Bad acting, a completely incoherent plot, and it was waaaaay too long. One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

That being said, I haven't even gotten to seeing the third one since I wasn't very impressed and that one is supposed to stink.

I loved the first 2 Godfather movies, but didn't like the 3rd too much. Haven't seen Donnie Brasco yet, but I have seen Goodfellas - fantastic! :thumbup: