Sign in to follow this  
Mike

TOS Sleeve Ranks

I thought I had these ranks down. Ensign has no sleeve braid, Lieutenant has one solid sleeve braid and Lt. Commander has one solid braid and one broken line braid..and so on..

I was watching The Naked Time last night and I saw a rank I hadn't noticed before. So what rank is just one broken line braid ? That's what is on the sleeve of Joe Tormolen..And nobody referred to his rank on the show..And he didn't live to see another show..So there we have it..Anyone know ? Perhaps in this early stage of the show that was the rank for ensign..Later on they decided to go with no sleeve braid for the rank of ensign..

Opinions ?

I looked up the insignia and ranks in my old Star Fleet Technical Manual. The rank you are mentioning is not shown. The only thing I can think of is Lieut. JG. Since Lieut. Commander is one stripe with a broken stripe. I am only guessing.

I rewatched the episode to see about Joe Tormolen's sleeve rank... And I haven't really seen that kind in my reference book.

Quite a bit of amusing moments in that episode though, although we can imagine Joe is not that experience or high in rank due to his rather idiotic mistake that caused the Psi 2000 virus to spread... :)

Taking off your EVA suit's glove to scratch your nose, or such, is a rather poor excuse in my eyes...

lastresort.jpg42.gif

I found an image of the rank in question on this web site:

2266-2270 Ranks

It lists this rank as Lt. Junior Grade and lists Joe Tormolen under that rank.

260383[/snapback]

Cool..Thanks Jack..Could be the only time this rank was seen in TOS..

I wish that we chould change our ranks here according to speices that would be really cool. Maybe i need to watch that episode again to know what you are talking about.

I'll have to go back and watch it again myself. I guess from time to time some small detail will be missed, with so much to catalog. :)

I figure it was probably only seen in that one episode and is therefore not listed in the manuals as TPTB probably decided not to use that rank after that in TOS.